Brunettes have more fun, or the True YA Prince has dark hair? xD

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Right? At this point I mostly want a career so red headed smart guys get to be YA spec fic boyfriends for once.

I seem to recall David from Uglies being sandy haired. Maybe. It's been a while.

Something loosely related I've noticed: most of these YA SFF LIs are also the action hero type. Which, is cool, I guess. But where are the smart guys? The skinny Mage or tech guy? A guy healer? Just someone not equipped to swoop in and save the MC? The closest I can think of is Farmer from the last Beka Cooper book.

My recently published book has an auburn haired shy/awkward LI and my MS closest to being ready to be sent out into the world of submissions has a nerdy/smart ginger as the LI. ;)

P.S. Just remembered - isn't the LI in The Girl in a Steel Corset auburn haired?

Last edited:

indwig

I stole your cheeseburger
Registered
Reaction score
But, on the other hand, I like it when an author doesn't actually mention anyone's ethnicity. That way, people can picture them being whatever nationality and colour they like.

And then those same people get furious when film casting comes around... (Rue? Even though she was described as having dark skin?)

And I don't usually care about hair color. I'm usually too busy scanning for descriptions of facial hair <3

Last edited:

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
But, on the other hand, I like it when an author doesn't actually mention anyone's ethnicity. That way, people can picture them being whatever nationality and colour they like.

I like this idea in theory, but the sad truth is many people will take "no ethnicity described" to equal "white." :/ So I always try to make my characters' ethnicity explicit, since I think it's important. Obviously that's totally author choice, though.

BUT EVEN THEN!!! Yeah, people being mad that Rue was black. Ugh.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I like this idea in theory, but the sad truth is many people will take "no ethnicity described" to equal "white." :/ So I always try to make my characters' ethnicity explicit, since I think it's important. Obviously that's totally author choice, though.

Yeah, there's another thread where this is discussed - if no race is mentioned people automatically assume "white".

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kinda sad that teenagers don't usually have grey hair. I mean, it's pretty. Or maybe I'm just weird.

Right?? I love long grey hair, I think it's beautiful.

I made a lot of characters different with some technicolor hair based on their element types.. using Sci-fi as a crutch to be flexible with this, I have the hotheaded male with red hair, and the ice cold bitch with black hair and frosted white/blue tips.. the cute little girl who has red hair with orange and pink highlights, and the timid heroine who has long grey hair.

I definitely noticed that trope.. a lot of boys recently in YA with dark brown hair and not even all the time as the TDH or dangerous type. They were starting to feel a little cookiecutter

natpenna

Registered
Reaction score

I had someone read an opening chapter for a new book I was fooling around with. I pictured a secondary character as looking a bit like Chris Pratt a la GOTG, and then they said they pictured him as a really muscular black man. I have to admit, I actually preferred the way they saw him. I didn't change anything in the portrayal of him in the rest of the prose, but started to hint that this is more likely to be his ethnicity.

Yeah I hate when people complain that there aren't enough racially diverse characters in books and movies, and when they are put there, people say it's just because they're trying 'too hard' to appeal, or they openly complain about the person not being as they pictured. Like 'The Princess and the Frog' with a black Princess. I thought it was wonderful! I loved that it was a more diverse cast, and Tiana was a fantastic character. (Not to mention the songs) And yet, it was totally panned. Then people complain about all the white princesses looking alike. Hello, they gave you what you wanted and it still wasn't enough!

And I thought that Hermione could have worked as a young black girl, and I know a lot of people who read the books before seeing the adaptations said the same.

The same can go for sexuality of characters. If you don't mention it, people always assume straight. If you mention it too often or too much, you're doing it because you're 'trying too hard'.

Annoying, much?

xDream

Hopeful Fish
Registered
Reaction score
And then those same people get furious when film casting comes around... (Rue? Even though she was described as having dark skin?)

And I don't usually care about hair color. I'm usually too busy scanning for descriptions of facial hair <3

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I heard some people thought Rue would be a dark-skinned Hispanic, but I always pictured her exactly how she was cast.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
As for the 'all white' thing, I can't speak for all YA authors, but I think there have to be a few titles at least where the cast of the book isn't white washed. In my book 'Sea Foam', the female lead is white, but the love interest is of Hawaiian descent, and her friends are a real mix, and none of them are stereotyped. In another book, the love interest was Japanese. But, on the other hand, I like it when an author doesn't actually mention anyone's ethnicity. That way, people can picture them being whatever nationality and colour they like.

I think the debate on this has two facets: what people consider the neutral "default", which is generally white. And what the goal of the book is. Some books are written to be escapist of as self-insert fantasies for the reader or author, in which case it can make a lot of sense to avoid major description that pigeonholes a character with one physical description. And then there are books that are not written for that purpose, or where there is a target market or an author ideal of LI attractiveness, in which case it generally makes more sense to use enough description to get the character's intended appearance across.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
And what of the gingers? Are they always doomed to be wacky sidekicks?
Yet for some reason Fiery Red-Headed Heroine is very much a type.

Something loosely related I've noticed: most of these YA SFF LIs are also the action hero type. Which, is cool, I guess. But where are the smart guys? The skinny Mage or tech guy? A guy healer? Just someone not equipped to swoop in and save the MC? The closest I can think of is Farmer from the last Beka Cooper book.

Yeah, this is another stereotype. A person I know was reading a review ARC of a big YA book which isn't released yet and she wrote to me about another example of the same thing.
We have two brothers here. Both have extremely high social standing, and one is hinted early on to be a secret villain. Both are tall and dark-haired.

Brother One is a big, muscular, tanned, handsome guy with warm amber-colored eyes, he isn't good at socializing but he is an amazing fighter specializing in close combat.
He is far from stupid, but he isn't eloquent or witty or charming either. He's more at home on the battlefield or doing physical training.
He can be dangerous but he has a streak of kindness. He wants everything to be as stable as possible.

Brother Two is described as having extremely fair skin bordering on snow pale, he is slender, with "icy" blue eyes. He is an inferior fighter compared to his brother and he isn't into it that much anyway. He appears to be less confident but at the same time he's superbly quick-witted and he knows how to talk people into things. He is both more intelligent and intuitive than his brother and is a better actor. He seems mild-mannered but he also reveals a surprising ability to take risks, he even seems to like doing so. He's bored when nothing ever changes.

Now you don't need three attempts to guess the identity of the future villain, right? Also try to guess which one truly has our girl's heart. :)
I'm reading FALLEN (for some reason ;)) and Daniel is blonde.

The main question I have related to this topic is why they're all white.....
I remember reading a long and interesting discussion on avoiding certain descriptions in YA and the prevalence of dark hair being related to it. I mean, if you say "tall, dark hair, brown eyes", this description could embrace many types of looks. You can make it look like the book has diversity without having to say it out loud or actually admit it.

But, say, golden hair, light green eyes=race pretty much defined, not 100% of course yet the implications are clear... I remember someone saying that MC is also often described as having brown hair and brown eyes so that a lot of readers could potentially relate.

Last edited:

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
This is honestly the only example I can think of, and he does get the short end of the stick a few times, but Alex Lind from the Burn for Burn series by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian is a redhead.

Though the hair color is mostly all dark in Sanctum by Sarah Fine, a book I recently read, one thing I love is that basically all the main characters are people of color, and it's just not a big deal. I love that. :)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the people I see in real life have dark hair. Most of the blonds I see have dark roots. I never trust that a blond woman is naturally blond. The same is true for redheads.

I know one naturally blond guy and a few kids whose hair may be darkening as they age. This may be why blond is associated with youth.

I can't think of a natural redhead that I know.

My own hair started going white when I was around 17, so some teens do have white hair, some white hair. I never dyed it.

This experience may impact the hair colors in what I write. Everyone in my MG has light brown to black hair except Grandma whose hair is white. Mom dyes her hair red.

Race is a whole nother issue. The MC and his family are white, but many of the people around him aren't because they just aren't. That reflects my experience too.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I write as many boy MCs as girl MCs, and about half of them are blond. It never would have occurred to me that there would be a preference for dark-haired-but-white "princes," because I always preferred blond boys as a teen.

OTOH, I do get the warm brown vs. icy blond dynamic, except that I get it from white hair. It's a very anime dynamic in my mind.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Most of the people I see in real life have dark hair. Most of the blonds I see have dark roots. I never trust that a blond woman is naturally blond. The same is true for redheads.

I know one naturally blond guy and a few kids whose hair may be darkening as they age. This may be why blond is associated with youth.

I can't think of a natural redhead that I know.

My own hair started going white when I was around 17, so some teens do have white hair, some white hair. I never dyed it.

This experience may impact the hair colors in what I write. Everyone in my MG has light brown to black hair except Grandma whose hair is white. Mom dyes her hair red.

Race is a whole nother issue. The MC and his family are white, but many of the people around him aren't because they just aren't. That reflects my experience too.

This is so weird to me. I mean, most people I know have brown or blackish hair. But I know plenty of natural blonds, and some natural blondes. And several red-heads. Most people I know who dye their hair red don't dye it natural-ish red.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
It could be that blond is so many things. Many people referred to as blond seem really light brown to me. It's all gradation. My own hair, the not white parts, is really dark brown if you look at an individual strand, but the effect is of black.

I should state that I have two friends whose natural hair color is a mystery. They dye so often, I'm not sure what's real. One may be a blond.

I'd rather say someone's hair is the color of straw with whitish strands than call them blond. That's a clearer description to me.

Maybe describing the actual color instead of falling on the common labels will help us diversify.

Samsonet

Just visiting
Registered
Reaction score
One book I've read described two characters as having blond hair so light it was almost white. To this day I've never been able to figure out what that's supposed to look like. (These are 11- to 12- year-old boys, if that helps.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've known a few people that blond. And I use that description too ;)

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Platinum blond! My dad and his brothers (Finn/Northern Italian mix) all had essentially white hair as young kids. They all darkened as they got older, but my dad rocked fair blond hair and a bright red beard in his twenties.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
It could be that blond is so many things. Many people referred to as blond seem really light brown to me. It's all gradation. My own hair, the not white parts, is really dark brown if you look at an individual strand, but the effect is of black.

I should state that I have two friends whose natural hair color is a mystery. They dye so often, I'm not sure what's real. One may be a blond.

I'd rather say someone's hair is the color of straw with whitish strands than call them blond. That's a clearer description to me.

Maybe describing the actual color instead of falling on the common labels will help us diversify.

I mean, I've been fooled by dye jobs before. And I totally get light brown being confused for blond. But for the record, I was talking about actual blond/blondes, who I don't think anybody could argue just have light brown hair.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I spent part of my son's school concert looking at the audience and the kids' hair because of this thread. Kids are less likely to have dyed hair. I saw one natural redhead. Neither parent has red hair.
I also saw a couple of blondes who may be natural and one mom and son who also have the same curls. They were platinum.
I spotted a mom with blonde roots who dyed darker too.

Maybe I never paid enough attention before.

So as those blond kids darken, and many do, where do you draw the line between blond and brown?

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I'm sure someone somewhere has some sort of objective way to distinguish. You might be able to tell from a genetic test:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Saller_scale

I usually just go with my gut, and know some folks will disagree.

I'm sure it would be hard to draw the line for every stage of darkening. I'd have to to look at some real-life examples to say for sure.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It's strange that we talk about all these subtleties of "blond" but never of brown or black.

Last edited:

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Curious - how would you describe subtleties of black? I keep trying to think of some, but they all sound more like 'ways in which this hair is not quite black.' (blue-black, 'a brown so dark that it was almost black'...?)

Brown variations I've definitely both seen and used. 'Honey-brown,' 'mouse-brown' and 'mahogany' are so over-exposed as to be cliche, though they do give an immediate mental image. I suppose if I was really interested in adding some variety there, one way would be to go to the drugstore and look at the names of all the hair dye shades. (Though I can't imagine actually using, say, "medium spice reddish brown" in actual prose. But 'a spicy sort of red-brown' might work, depending on POV voice!)

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Well black hair is not quite black. True black is an all-consuming void of nothing and I don't think I've ever seen hair quite like that. Black hair usually is either going to be "brown-black" (warm spectrum) or "blue-black" (cool spectrum). How you see black hair has is going to be especially dependent on the texture -- eg afro-texture hair reflects light differently than straight hair, etc.

Brown has a warm and cold spectrum too, but because the color perceived as "brown" is really low-saturation warm-spectrum colors, the "warm" is going to be reddish ("chestnut") and the "cool" is going to be yellowish ("ash").

Last edited:

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
Oh, I understand about how the variations look - I'm certainly not saying that all black hair looks the same! I was wondering specifically how you'd go about describing 'subtleties of shade' of black in prose context, going off of your earlier comment. Brown-black gets at what I was fumbling towards above, which is that the only things I could think of were descriptors which pull the colour away from black, in one direction or another.

True black is an all-consuming void of nothing and I don't think I've ever seen hair quite like that.

Perfect Carlos and his perfect hair, an all-consuming void of black nothingness from which a thousand thousand screaming voices occasionally burst forth...