Tell me about your (fictional!) parents

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I love parents in general, and I especially love parents in YA fic. I could never be one of you dudes who fridge or ignore parents - that's part of what is so great about YA for me, the feeling that you can never ~get away~ from 1-2 people who are, ugh, Mum and Dad but at the same time are people in their own right. I'm so crazy about parents that I actually don't feel like I can absolutely nail my MCs until I can imagine what their parents were like when they were the MC's age.

And I'm always fascinated by other people's. Consider this a kind of cheap B-movie spinoff of the "what are you writing?" thread. Who are your parents, in any or all of your WIPs? What attracted you to them, and what gave you the idea? Do you like writing them, hate writing them, write good ones, villainous ones, perfect ones, absent ones? How do they relate your MC? Thoughts on parents in YA in general? Thoughts on parents in real life in general?

(so many questions!)

lemonhead

Life isn't all beer and skittles.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahnicolelemon.com
I'm super into parents. I hate it when books have parents that are just there because they had to have parents.

This time around mine are a 99%er style biker, avid gardener and overprotective Dad, and a mom in federal prison in a Queen-falls-from-grace type of thing and part of the book is how they (the MC and her mom) struggle to maintain the relationship.

Lironah

Space Cadet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanalbright.net
Silas' dad is a miner who dies early in the novel. His mother, however, disappeared years ago. As Silas' journey progresses, he'll follow in her footsteps until finally he meets her again.

Rosa's parents both died in tragic ways. Boring, I know. But she and her grandfather have a very interesting relationship, which becomes strained when she learns that he's been keeping secrets about her father.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
I have so much love for YA books where the parents are fleshed-out, interesting people... which makes it so much sadder that I rarely do this in my own work. I did write one book where the primary conflict was the main character's relationship with her father, but that's atypical for me. Parents are usually an afterthought when I'm planning. No good, I know.

In my WIP, the MC's conflict with her parents mainly stems from the fact that her younger brother died three years prior to the events of the story. They are naturally overprotective but trying not to be, but she really pushes the limits.

MC's mom is a professor of folklore at the university. I think this is pretty cool, even though I did it purely for plot convenience reasons. :D

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I only like writing about bad parents, or bad surrogate parents. I have gritted my teeth and written a few nice parents, but they're always single, because two good parents who are still together is taking it too far for me. I like it on Friday Night Lights, but I have no direct experience of that kind of family to work with.

In one of my books, the MC has a nice mom from whom she escapes as soon as possible so she can go do dangerous stuff. In another, my MC has a dead, crazy mom (still important in flashbacks) and an alive, crazier surrogate mom who is basically a cross between Norma Desmond and the queen in Snow White. The MC loves them both in different ways, but betrays the first and ultimately must defeat the second.

In my WIP, the MC's mom is sweet but kind of a dishrag, and the MC feels sorry for her. She hates her dad for abandoning and looking down on her mom, but despite herself she shares his attitude sometimes. Mom's about to leave on a trip so the MC can (again) go do dangerous stuff.

I haven't had a story with a dad as antagonist yet, but I've got some ideas in that vein.

When I was a kid I used to like YA books about perfect families like Madeleine L'Engle's Austins, but ultimately they just didn't speak to me. I can't write nice, sweet, mature, responsible parents who dispense wisdom and don't try to manipulate the MC in any way. Or when I do, I can't get them offstage fast enough.

Parent issues? Um, yeah, I may have some.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I ADORE proper, fleshed-out, real-people parents in YA. It's honestly my favourite.

In MIP, the parents are a 45-year-old mom and a 32-year-old stepdad. The MC has a very rocky relationship with her mom, who can be overbearing and overcritical, and tends to favour the MC's (autistic) little brother over the MC. Her stepdad, though, is the mellowest, nicest guy ever, super into video games and geeky stuff. The MC basically worships the ground he walks on, and he loves her so much too. It's adorable :')

In my new WIP, the main relationship of the novel is that of the MC, Danielle, and her mother. Danielle's mom is her only known relative -- she doesn't know who her dad is, who her grandparents are, whether or not she has any aunts, uncles, or cousins. The mom has kept it all from her in this elaborate web of deception, to keep her safe, because the mom actually escaped a cult when she was pregnant and she's determined to keep Danielle away from her family. It all unravels, though. I seriously freaking love this story, it's so twisted.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I admit to being weak on parents for most of my books. A lot of the time it's easier to minimize contact with them (and some situations are just meant for them to be out of the picture altogether, but that's a different matter) because they are not needed for the real conflict of the book. I have been trying to improve upon this, even when they aren't really in the main conflict.

Some of my books have had some parents that I've been happy with though. Not always YA, lol.

In AFTRLYF, the dad was a huge part of the story. The MC was an angel of death, where the role was a job, and he was the CEO. His disappointment in her as a daughter and as an employee affected her (and her brother's) decisions. Her mother was unknown for most of the book, but she was also there, guiding the MC. And the villain was created out of the actions of both parents. TBH, these are probably my strongest parents.

In Nano Kid, the dad was an abusive drunk, and that was a huge part of how the MC reacted to the world. He has a big focus on not pissing him off and not putting his mom in danger.

In aPB, I had a lot of hinted history with the parents. The human MC is not the type to join in, so he ignores his mom's desire for all of them to eat together or to do things together. His dad works late, but when they're together, there's definitely an undercurrent of tension, and while I never say why (yet...we'll see what betas say), his dad is highly against anything magic, and the MC is deeply involved in it. The rest of his family is even more involved in the story. His grandmother is dead, but she is also a major character, because the two MCs talk about her all the time. His great-aunt and -uncle are very involved in the story, and his cousin is too. I probably need to work a little on mom and dad, but I'm pretty proud of the relationships with the rest of the family.

Then there's my superhero novel, which has two MCs with different parent relationships.

The villain's dad was obsessed with work, and most everything the villain does is to get his dad to pay attention to him and love him. His dad is a huge part of the story, not only involved in the villain's plans but also involved in the hero's life, since he was her original contact with the superheroes' league. He spent most of the villain's life trying to build a working teleporter so that he could become the head superscientist for the league. The villain's mom was obsessed with appearances. She was trying to become an movie star, but never got past local theater productions. She was always pushing the villain to smile and stand up straighter and put up appearances, telling him he would just be beautiful if he only.... She disappeared several years before book 1.

The hero's parents appear to be more normal. In book 1, her dad adores her, and he's the type to slip her some money for pizza as she walks out the door. Her mom is stricter. She's the one who often catches the hero sneaking out to do superhero stuff, and since the hero hasn't told them about herself, she's the one to punish her. But we find out later (in books I haven't written) that dad used to be a superhero whose abilities were taken by the league (I'm still working on his ex-abilities, which have changed in the last week, but may change again). Mom is still a super, but she hates the league for what they did to her husband, so she heads up the vigilante group of supers in the city. She (probably) can shift through matter. And both of them have known all along that the MC is a super.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread! I have super awesome parents IRL so I often joke it's why I write such so-so ones in fiction. ;)

In OFT, my mc has a mother who is religious (they live in a small Christian town) and a dad who walked out when the mc and her sisters were young. My mc doesn't really get along with her mom, but feels like she has to take care of her anyway (mc feels like she has to take care of everyone, regardless if they're related to her or not…oy, complexes… :tongue)

In my WIP, my mc is a 16 year old girl whose dad is a Republican (but more middle ground) senator and her mother is a stay at home mom because she can be. I wanted to explore father/daughter relationships in this one, so the focus isn't a boyfriend or mom or sister or brother or friend, but the mc and her dad. Her dad is accused of having an affair and pictures are leaked…and it turns out it's true. And even more heartbreaking for the mc is that the affair was with another man. I'm only about 4,000 words into it soooo hopefully all of this happens. ;)

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
In FTP, the MMC's mother died when he was about 11. His father blames him without fully realizing it. The mother's death brought out the dad's abusive, alcoholic tendencies, and he alternates between being a tyrant at home and disappearing for days at a time. The MMC basically raises himself. He misses his mother terribly.

The FMC's parents are involved and relatively supportive. They have a lot of expectations for FMC and her brother. She thinks they favor the brother because he's adopted and wants to go to med school, but they have stepped in and helped out the MMC when things with his dad are rocky. They're scientific-minded, and the FMC isn't as focused as her brother and they are. She doesn't want to go to med school or be an engineer or anything they tend to steer her toward. Overall, they're good parents.

In my WIP, the mother has overbearing tendencies. She wants what's best for the MC, but while she's pushing him, she doesn't always think about what he wants. Her single-minded focus makes the MC angry and the younger brother feel ignored.

The father is easy-going and supportive. He listens to his boys and gives them a lot of autonomy. He has military/law-enforcement background, but he isn't overly strict. The MC respects him and turns to him over his mother.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have one or two of those, Lone

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm of the same generation as the parents in my novels, and as you might expect have quite a few friends and relatives who are parents. That may well be the reason why I do pay quite a bit of attention to characterising the parents in the novel. Partings and Greetings has four major teenage characters (aged 17/18) and six parents: one of the teens has a divorced mother and another has a widowed one, and most of them play a greater or lesser part in the story, the mothers particularly.

In another WIP, a SF YA, the protagonists' parents both die early on, but I did try to give them some character shading for the time they're on-screen.

In short, the parents of a YA protagonist are likely to be in their forties, possibly even thirties. That's not old and they won't think of themselves as old. I know that thirty and forty seem ancient when you're a teenager - they did to me when I was that age - but they really aren't.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm of the same generation as the parents in my novels, and as you might expect have quite a few friends and relatives who are parents. That may well be the reason why I do pay quite a bit of attention to characterising the parents in the novel.

This is where I am, and this is a great thread for me to read. I can't even call this a WIP yet, but thinking ahead the MC's father really wants to have a relationship with the MC, but just doesn't know what to do, especially how the relationship is changing as the result of the divorce. I can see a lot of myself in the Dad, and it's going to be a struggle not to make the book too much about what the Dad's going through. If I were going to do that, I'd write a contemporary adult novel :). I haven't gotten to the mom yet.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
The father in my WIP is a doctor who accidentally brings about the death of a young female patient during a procedure. He coerces his daughter (the MC, who was close friends with the dead girl) into helping him cover up the crime. The mother (who knows some, but not all, of what occurred) becomes a religious convert in an attempt to save her family.

My fictional folks are dysfunctional like that :D.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have a huge need for parents in my current story- they aren't heavily needed during the conflict- but my MC, Serena, does live with her aunt, who is her legal guardian (I wanted to do something a little different). Her aunt is a former dentist, turned bed-and-breakfast proprietor. Serena helps her aunt run her business and teaches her how to use a computer (her aunt is almost a complete technophobe lol). She is strict disciplinarian with Serena when she absolutely has to be, but they're also really close and more like friends, for the most part (Serena's biological parents died when she was very young).

Maybe I'll get better about parent writing in my next series.

Last edited:

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I have a love/hate relationship with parents. I really need to keep a better eye on 1. a parent's motivation and keeping that consistent and 2. not falling into parent clichés.

In my main MS, the mom is a bit overbearing and a bit weepy at the thought of losing her child to college and becoming an empty-nester. The dad is a bit of a workaholic. In my WIP, the mom and dad are trying to make ends meet, but the dad is out of work and the mom isn't around much because she's trying to cover for the dad. The MC's relationship with them changes quite a bit as she discovers more about them. I could probably do a better job at developing the parents a bit in my writing.

Fullon_v4.0

Shard Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rtdriver90.tumblr.com
Parents are fun!

In the Isaac Comett series, his mother, Deborah Comett, is a thirty-year old nutritionist who moved from England to the United States to be with her now ex-husband. Although she's very knowledgeable, she only sees her profession as a means to pay the bills and doesn't take her practice to heart. In nearly every scene she is either dropping off take-out or gnawing on something sweet!

His father Zack Comett is an influential underground DJ. His work requires that he travels a lot, but as a result he's become well known...at the sacrifice of his relationship with his children. He's essentially a big kid, full of life and energy. As a result however, Isaac doesn't take him seriously. Due of his constant exposure to the nightlife and its dark underbelly, he has a bad drug and alcohol problem.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Why does the MC's family have to be a nuclear family? My MC's isn't. Along with his Dad (Mum dead) and his sister, there's a Grandmother, his Aunt and Uncle, a couple of cousins as well as the MC's girlfriend and their little son. And that's just the ones who live in the family home. As of 'parent role', pretty much all the older adults fill it at some point.

StormChord

Allegedly Gullible
Registered
Reaction score
I have trouble writing bad parents because my parents are pretty badass. And I absolutely adore books where the protagonist's parents are actually PEOPLE, rather than machines that dish out inconveniently timed groundings.

My main character's parents are generally good people, but they have some deep-seated problems with their son - since he insisted for ten years that his dead twin brother loved to play with him, and was upset that his parents never acted like he was there.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
One of the themes of my WIP is the MC getting to really know about her parents during the settlement of her just-deceased dad's estate. Her dad, a loving father who was forced to part with the MC after losing the custody battle in his divorce with Mom, isn't exactly that successful businessman the MC's always perceived. The realization of a less-than-perfect dad is a hard nut for her to crack but also inspires her to "right the wrongs".

Her quick-tempered, estranged mom has more personality than she's ever known even though they've lived together all the time. The mom is not into details, has no business sense, and her "blank look" is a trademark. How the pair inadvertently try to repair their strained relationship is another theme.

Last edited:

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
I like writing parents, both good and bad types. The parents in my current WIP are definitely good though:

Liza is strong, stoic, and yet still warm. She mixes compassion with a strong fist, and is as much of a father and a big sister to my MC as a mother.

Jess is passionate, emotional, and a little bit clingy. She'd do any thing for the MC, but the intensity of her love does smother him slightly.

MC's biological father is a non-entity. It's set in a second world, where same sex couples are pretty much the norm, and so sperm donors are very common. Jasper doesn't care who he is, and its not an issue at all.

BlossomQueen

Playing the Waiting Game
Registered
Reaction score
My mother (dad is out of the picture, at least for the earlier part of the book) is a responsible parent who does an irresponsible thing...to the point it turns off some readers.

I've been struggling quite a bit with writing minors doing 'non-minor' things without the parents in the present day in a way that won't make a reader scoff in disbelief. It wouldn't make sense to completely erase the mother (or the other parents) but it also doesn't make sense if the parents simply allow them to run around doing what they want. I've read other books where I've found this to be a recurrent problem, imo. Any thoughts on this? I'm curious on how other writers of YA handle it.

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
I've been struggling quite a bit with writing minors doing 'non-minor' things without the parents in the present day in a way that won't make a reader scoff in disbelief. It wouldn't make sense to completely erase the mother (or the other parents) but it also doesn't make sense if the parents simply allow them to run around doing what they want. I've read other books where I've found this to be a recurrent problem, imo. Any thoughts on this? I'm curious on how other writers of YA handle it.

Blossom, I would say, depending on the setting, you could write the parents as a well-meaning individual that is working themselves to death to provide for their child(ren) and has to sacrifice quality time so their kids could have the freedom they didn't have.

As unpleasant as I felt my actual parents were at the time, I realized after a while that both of them were trying their best to give us more opportunities than they had in their own way. They are just as flawed as any character in a book and that's what makes them real people and I think you can really tie that into your WIP.

Maybe the mom was in a very controlling home when she was young so she's giving more responsibility to her child and it's leading to those "non-minor" situations that they will need to learn from.

Last edited:

Christracy19

Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit It I'm not a big fan when it comes to writing parents. Though my newest project I'm working on the main character actually has two semi functional parents. (I realized I've never written a mother/father relationship before.)

The good part is I'm having fun with them experimenting on how they'd relate to their daughter.

MysteriousFemme

Registered
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I'm just wrapping up the outline for my current WIP. The parents have undergone a drastic revamp from the initial concept of the novel to now.

The parents in my WIP are average parents. They set rules for my MC and are involved when she breaks them. They realize that there's something going on and they approach her about it. They're not in the forefront of the story but they're presence affects the choices my MC makes. It's YA fantasy btw.

I'm sick of reading fantasy novels in YA where the parents are conveniently absent, ignorant, or there's only one available parents. Though there's a large amount of single parent home, as far as the US goes, most families aren't.

Last edited: