Should a Writer Read ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Never have myself. I like paperbacks. Maybe one day I'll give the e-readers a go. They do seem neat.

As to what writers should do the only real requirement is that they write good books.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
...e-books?

I haven't gotten into reading e-books. As a writer (and of course, a hopefully published one someday), my question is should you read all forms of literature no matter what they come bundled in?

I don't think e-books are a different kind of literature. They're just books--novels, novellas, short stories, non-fiction--that happen to be presented in an electronic format. So I don't think it makes the slightest difference whether a writer prefers the hardcover, paperback, or e-book version. The contents are the same.

That said, I resisted e-books for a long time; like you, I've always prefered the touch and scent of printed books. But this year I moved overseas and was unable to take my library of books with me. So I have a Kindle now and I read e-books almost entirely. I do like the portability of the e-book, and having a whole library of titles right there in one slim case. Although, an e-book is not as easy to navigate as a printed book. Flipping back to reread a part or find something is a pain.

Cereus

Few Nish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
What I like about Kindle books and whatnot:

- They take up no living space.
- They don't collect dust.
- No one can see the embarrassing cover of the book I'm reading.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
What I like about Kindle books and whatnot:

- They take up no living space.
- They don't collect dust.
- No one can see the embarrassing cover of the book I'm reading.

Ha. Yes, to all three.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I don't think I quite understand the question. How are ebooks a different form of literature? They're just a different kind of container for books. You can read something as an ebook that was originally a scroll in ancient Greece, and later hand-written or printed on pages and bound. But the book is still the same.

As for the sensual delights of reading a paper book, well, yeah, they're nice. On the other hand I was glad not to carry around the 900 page A Game of Thrones in my handbag recently and I wish I'd had my Kindle when I read The Stand!

Last edited:

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
I read my first e-book just a few months ago. After years of saying, "I just love the feel and smell of paper books!" and denying people telling me "You'll be inseparable once you try it!" I.... still prefer paper books. By a wide margin.

But e-books are very very nice. Don't miss out on a good story just cause it's not paper. If your eyes can stand to look at the screen you have (if you don't have access to a Kindle or Nook with the e-paper) for long enough, then there's no reason not to give it a shot, at least.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a 700+ page hardcopy hard-backed novel to heft and a bookshelf to empty into a storage tote. Good thing I wanted to exercise today.

grayworld

Registered
Reaction score
Never have myself. I like paperbacks. Maybe one day I'll give the e-readers a go. They do seem neat.

As to what writers should do the only real requirement is that they write good books.

I feel exactly this same way, and I've been self-publishing through Amazon, Smashwords, etc., for the past year or so.

That said, here's nothing like the feel of an actual book in your hands. And a book with your name on the cover? Priceless.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I always thought it was ideal for writers to read as much as they humanly can in every time of medium there is and that there is literally no such thing as reading too much. Am I missing something here?

It's important to read, but you don't have to read a set quota of books in different formats. For example, I can't deal with audio books. I have hearing problems and I can't focus on spoken words for that long. This won't mean I'll be a terrible writer because I don't listen to audio books.

Nor do I divide out whether I read a print book or an ebook. Price and availability usually makes that decision for me. I've been reading more ebooks lately, because I get a lot of them for free. The ratio of print to ebook is also not going to impact my writing.

The main thing is just to get out there and read stuff, whatever way works for you.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I love the feel of a real book, I also like reading on my Kindle. When I finally have the money to buy books, I'll probably buy e-books because they won't take up space in my house.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Although, an e-book is not as easy to navigate as a printed book. Flipping back to reread a part or find something is a pain.

On the Kindle for the PC, there's a button you can push that lists all your highlights in a side bar. Not exactly useful if you don't highlight as you read or know that you might need to highlight later but it's better than bare bones nothing.

I don't know if any of the Kindles have that option. I should test it out on my Nook Tablet.

As for the OP, my reading has increased dramatically once I started picking up ebooks. I read more now than I ever have in the past.

...and signing up for KU? Ohyeahbaby.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...e-books?
A writer should read. Period. What format is really up to the individual.

I've moved to electronic books. Started years ago with reference works, easier to carry a Kindle than a set of bookshelves. Now I read almost everything on a Kindle except for, irony here, reference books.

I don't do audio books, but I have no significant commute (27 feet) and can't possibly listen to a book and drive at the same time. It's a left brain/chemo brain thing. I buy books at a used book store and use a local outlet's book swap shelves for some reading. I use the library extensively, especially inter-library loan, for research. And I read way too much on the internet.

Why do you feel there's a need to know what others read on? Research, self doubt or just curious?

Jeff

Jhaewyrmend

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious really and also, if my own goal is to self publish, how invested in the tech should I be because it seems I've keep reading that more and more are doing so only in e-book. So curiosity and research. I've got enough self-doubt to go around, but that's not why I asked :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I haven't gotten into reading e-books. As a writer (and of course, a hopefully published one someday), my question is should you read all forms of literature no matter what they come bundled in? I am beyond sure there are books out there in the e-niverse that are very worth reading, I just haven't invested in the tech to do it.
This is a personal preference, really. Much literature is available in both paper and ebook form. Older books are sometimes only available as used paper, they haven't been re-published in ebook form (although, conversely, many classics are available as a free ebook). And there are many, many books out there only available in ebook form.

My wife loves her kindle fire and many of the authors she reads are only available in ebook form. I took over her older Kindle, tried to read from it and found the shape, the unforgiving hard plastic shape hurts my hands, they cramp up in a short time, unlike with a paperback that has a perfect form for holding without strain.

I also found I just prefer paper to read from. If I'm looking for something to read, I completely forget to check my kindle or go to the kindle store, I either go to a brick&mortar bookstore or the library, or my own bookshelves.

In fact, the only time I read an ebook is if it's a new release from William Meikle or any other writer friend from AW. Otherwise, I immediately go back to paper.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Just curious really and also, if my own goal is to self publish, how invested in the tech should I be because it seems I've keep reading that more and more are doing so only in e-book. So curiosity and research. I've got enough self-doubt to go around, but that's not why I asked :)

You know, I'll tell you. It probably is a good idea for all writers at this stage of the game to be at least a bit familiar with ebooks b/c it's quite possible one of theirs may wind up on one. So just seems like a good idea to have some familiarity. No regular habit or anything, unless one wants. A book or two read on one would probably be fine. Ideally from a variety of devices on loan from buddies, etc, if one is too cheap to shell out the loot or simply lacks the funds. Kindle, Nook, cellphones (if you can do that), etc. (My two cents. I could be wrong. I am not insisting I am right, by any means. There are lots of other perspectives, any one of which is equally valid. Possibly more so. Not saying mine is superior in any way, in summary.)

Status
Not open for further replies.