• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Halo Publishing International

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Thought I should start a thread on this bunch, as they left an ad and a link on a different board, clearly trolling for customers.

They aren't on Editors and Preditors yet.

http://www.halopublishing.com/submissionguidelines.html

The trolling was worded in such a way as to make it seem like paying to publish is how it is done, and that annoyed me.

I just want it clarified for any writer doing their homework with a Google search that Halo Publishing is self-publishing, not a commercial publisher who can pay a writer an advance check.

Anyone with doubts--they have a testimonials page. No vanity site goes without one of those.

They have a wildly overpriced "Media Press Kit" at $1599.00.

Unless you'd like 250 2X6 bookmarks for 89.00? (Printrunner does the same size and number for only 38.66.)

Or 250 4x6 postcards for 140.00? (Printrunner does the same for 35.96.)

If that's how they gouge people for advertising stuff I'd hate to know what the price is for printing the books.

I tried to find pricing info. If it was there, it wasn't terribly obvious.

:mad:

Last edited:

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
"VS Grenier
Editor
Virginia Grenier was voted one of the Top Ten Editors of 2007 by the Preditors and Editors Reader’s Poll and also won Second place for your article, “Yes, Virginia, There IS a Santa Claus” in the Preditors and Editors Reader’s Poll for Best Nonfiction of 2007. Grenier learned how to hone her writing skills at the Institute of Children’s Literature. She’s also a member of SCBWI."

Gill,

This caught my eye on the staff page. Notice the reference to Preditors and Editors.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
I'm happy for her, but their promotional materials are still highly overpriced, and at least one of their staff members was trolling on a board that has very strict rules about spamming.

The message was carefully worded to get across to neos that paying to publish is how *everyone* does it.

People have the right to pay to publish if they choose, but misleading them about how the publishing industry works is wrong.

Every time I do a signing I get at least one would-be writer who shyly asks how much it cost me to get my book in print.

They're always shocked when I give them the truth and tell them to join AW for more info.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
"VS Grenier
Editor
Virginia Grenier was voted one of the Top Ten Editors of 2007 by the Preditors and Editors Reader’s Poll and also won Second place for your article, “Yes, Virginia, There IS a Santa Claus” in the Preditors and Editors Reader’s Poll for Best Nonfiction of 2007. Grenier learned how to hone her writing skills at the Institute of Children’s Literature. She’s also a member of SCBWI."

Gill,

This caught my eye on the staff page. Notice the reference to Preditors and Editors.
Keep in mind the P&E Reader's Polls are just that, and not an endorsement by Dave and/or P&E.

yelper62

Registered
Reaction score
Halo Review

Hello,

I have personal experience with Halo so hopefully this will help.
Let's start with the good b/c there was very little of that. The good was that their price for illustrations was relatively inexpensive.
Now on to the bad.
If you have dreams of becoming a "real" author, this company is not for you. They claim to help you, but they really don't. I thought they would step in and help me refine my book to become something that catalogs would pick up, I could sell to libraries, etc... That's not what happened. Even working with the illustration artist was odd - I never met them face to face and it was like a rush job. You gave them written directions on what you wanted. If they didn't get it right, or somehow there was a misunderstanding, you'd have to pay.
Further, what they don't tell you up front is that while they do offer your book on their website you have to wait until you have at least $50 in your account before the give you the money.
They will help you though, for a fee. Everything is for a fee. And if you feel toward the end of the time with the illustrator that something isn't quite right, well, your time is up! You should have had your act together! But, I thought you guys were supposed to help me get my book together - after all, you're supposed to be guiding me through this process right?
Wrong.

Oh, and they really help you sell the book - not! Here's their sales strategy: tell you to contact libraries and schools to setup book signings, and do shows about your book. Sweet. So now I have to become an entertainer to sell my book? Why not just help me produce a book that can be sold to libraries or placed in catalogs?

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with my experience.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I really think the Reader's Poll is an idea that has run its course. It is routinely won by some of the worst players in the industry who use their cult-like following to flood the ballot box.