• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Howard Morhaim Literary Agency

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Good luck Kmarshall and Shari C! I met Kate McKean this Jan at WDC, sensed immediately that she was genuine and that I could have a good rapport with her and was ecstatic and overeager to send her my work. To my great regret, I accidentally sent her the first 9 pages of part 2 that make no sense out of context and are a weak representation of the rest of my novel instead of the first 75 pages that she asked for (Amateur move I know. Lord only knows how that happened.) I received a polite R the next week. Lesson to share: triple check the docs before sending and make sure your book is the best it can be. Good luck with your submissions!!

When did you realize you'd sent the wrong file?

If it was before you got the R, you totally could have resent the correct one with a quick "Sorry, I was so nervous I had a brain blip and attached the wrong file," and it would have been fine.

Just an FYI for the future (you may already know it, but maybe someone reading this thread doesn't); agents are humans, they do know writers are nervous and that we occasionally mess up, and it's not a big deal.

If I ever left my agent (which I have no plans to do), Morhaim is one of the names at the very top of my list of agents I'd talk to.

cindyyt

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip and words of encouragement Stacia! In answer to your question, unfortunately, I realized after I received the R from her. Was so bummed! Lesson learned though. Congratulations on your latest book!!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings. I'm new to all of this. Have not had internet in 4 years. Anyway, I got a request for a partial from Howard Morhaim himself. Is that common? I ask because no one seems to mention him on this thread anymore, even though it comes up under his name. You only mention his co-agents

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Kate McKean tweeted the other day that she had 666 queries in her inbox. I've just queried her, so it looks like I have a long wait yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if I was query number 666 though... :evil

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
To Ms. Jensen, it was mentioned somewhere earlier on this threat that there's about a 3 to 4 month wait for Kate McKean and her co-agents. Best of luck for a solicitation.
Kate McKean tweeted the other day that she

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
To Ms. Jensen, it was mentioned somewhere earlier on this threat that there's about a 3 to 4 month wait for Kate McKean and her co-agents. Best of luck for a solicitation.

3-4 months? Yikes! Guess I'd better settle in for the long haul on this one. ;)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
It's really not as bad at you think. I have submitted to more agents than I care to count. The longest it ever took to get a response was 11 months to a particularly large agency, very large, and that was an R unfortunately. But, you can think of it this way if it helps, the longer it takes for a reply, the less likely it is to be a rejection. It has been my experience with 'snail mails' at least, if it takes more than a couple of weeks you may just get a request for more materials. Either way, keep your chin up. Know for certain that there will be a lot of R, regardless. Hang in there.:)
3-4 months? Yikes! Guess I'd better settle in for the long haul on this one. ;)

J. Koyanagi

Cyborg
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkoyanagi.com
Greetings. I'm new to all of this. Have not had internet in 4 years. Anyway, I got a request for a partial from Howard Morhaim himself. Is that common? I ask because no one seems to mention him on this thread anymore, even though it comes up under his name. You only mention his co-agents

The agency website says he's closed to queries. Congrats on the partial, though!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Koyanagi! Yeah, I didn't have any access to the internet, so I sent him a snail, and then he responded and asked for the partial, even though I found out after he was closed to queries. Obvious he liked something about it because I didn't get an immediate R, or a polite letter telling me to query someone else.

Thanks again.

Samara Jensen

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got my R from Kate McKean! Stats were as follows: equery sent 8th March, rejection received 29th March. So not too long a wait - just under a month.

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Query sent

I see there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread for a while. Does anyone have any updates? I sent a e-query to Kate McKean this evening and I'll post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I see there hasn't been a lot of activity on this thread for a while. Does anyone have any updates? I sent a e-query to Kate McKean this evening and I'll post back when I hear a response.
Bryan

I sent Kate a query in Sept and she responded in 5 days. Loved the fast response, not so much the rejection!

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Got a form rejection today, so a little more than 4 weeks for a response. Oh well, glad I got a response. Onward I go!
Bryan

vigeo

# + ! = ?
Registered
Reaction score
submissions not delivered

I have been trying to email a query letter to Kate McKean of the Howard Morhaim Literary Agency. The email is returned by the Mail Delivery System. The same goes for Mr. Morhaim's email address.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
What does it list as the reason? It should tell you what the issue is: invalid address, rejected by server, etc. You just have to scan through all garbage in the text it sends to find it. Once you have the reason, someone may be able to tell you the fix (if any).

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
Any new updates here from anyone? I queried the agency's new agent and have a phone call set up with her today. I'm glad to find that it's a very reputable agency!

HoldinHolden

Blogger, author, poop joke maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
holdinholden.com
To update here- I received and accepted an offer of rep from Maria Ribas at Howard Morhaim last month. From query to offer was under 2 months.