• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Liquid Silver Publishing (formerly Liquid Silver Books)

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Was the editing done in one pass? Like, they edited, you changed, it was over? Or was there some kind of back-and-forth?

I'm still trying to figure out how they could react with such surprise to me expecting a dialogue. I'm wondering if maybe they only usually do one editing pass, so there's no real opportunity for discussion?

I had multiple passes with both of the editors I worked with (content and line). I felt all their edits were appropriate or we reached a happy compromise. A couple of times editor #2 undid stuff editor #1 added--mostly punctuation, which I suck at so I always just accepted those changes. LOL

Really, it's been my favorite editing experience of all my books so far.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Georgia is Editor-in-Chief of Taliesin Publishing now.

Last edited:

VanessaNorth

Purple hair, not prose.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanessanorth.com
My editorial experience has been fine with LSB. Roughly 3 passes per MS. I disagreed (strongly) with the changing of the word "cunt" to "pussy" in one manuscript, bt house style is house style.

My sales are significantly lower than my sales with Musa. (My best selling title at LSB is more or less equal to my worst selling at musa) however... Different sub genres?
Who knows. :/

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
My editorial experience has been fine with LSB. Roughly 3 passes per MS. I disagreed (strongly) with the changing of the word "cunt" to "pussy" in one manuscript, bt house style is house style.

My sales are significantly lower than my sales with Musa. (My best selling title at LSB is more or less equal to my worst selling at musa) however... Different sub genres?
Who knows. :/
Wow at the Musa sales being a lot higher.
Even Samhain asked me to lower the number of times the c-word was used in my manuscript, on the grounds a lot of women supposedly don't like it.
Freya's Bower strictly forbids the word.
I get the impression Ellora's Cave would not mind the word.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
...But thankfully, I had a good editing experience. Captcha's account is not anything I'd expect from them, which I find troubling.

One of the reasons I've been pretty quiet about my experience (to date!) is that it does seem like an anomaly. I know there are lots of other authors who are happy at LSB, I know they have a a good reputation, and I didn't want to be the dissenting voice criticizing a place that others love.

But I've had more experience since then, worked with quite a few other publishers, and I'm pretty confident that whatever the problems were, they weren't coming from me. I've never had an experience like that anywhere else. I mean, there have been things I haven't loved about other houses, but never this weird feeling that I was supposed to just genuflect in front of the editor and accept every suggestion as gospel.

I don't know what was going on with that edit. It was peculiar, and unpleasant. But I totally accept that other people had much better experiences, so I don't want to make it sound as if their editing is odd and aggressive across the board.

Their sales, on the other hand... Novelrank seems to bear out the suggestion that they do well with shifters and other supernatural stuff. Mine was a contemporary, so maybe that was the problem. I have no idea. But the sales were BAD. The numbers are pretty clear on that.

Mike Feury

Book Boutiques co-owner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bookboutiques.com
Mike Feury has been posting here with "owner" as his tag line. Was he never the owner? If he was, when did that change?

The article makes it sound like Eberharter's owned the place for several years, but Feury's been posting here as recently as this summer saying HE'S the owner... ?

ETA: I just checked a couple old e-mails (from 2012) and Mike's sig line definitely indicated that he was the owner. Maybe they were both part owners?

You're right, Linda and I are 50/50 owners. We founded the Atlantic Bridge company in 1999 as a partnership, and LSB has been our main publishing and sales imprint for a decade--LSB was Linda's brainchild.

As Linda's press release says, I am now moving on to work on related expansion projects I've wanted to do for a while. I've been working on setting up a separate company for the past couple of months, which should launch later this year--a separate company makes a lot more sense for what I want to do.

Part of this transition is that I'm relinquishing my 50% ownership, so Linda will be 100% owner as soon as we finalize the details. Linda is now running LSB, with any help she needs from me. This frees me up to concentrate properly on what needs to be done going forward.

I will still have a close working relationship with LSB of course, Linda and I have agreed how our operations will dovetail and complement each other, to our mutual benefit and the benefit of LSB authors.

Naturally some of you are concerned by this and other recent changes. The industry has been in a state of major change for a while now, and businesses must assess and move accordingly--standing still is not an option for survival and prosperity. Change is always unsettling I know, but it's a sign of a company continuing to try and improve--breaking eggs to make omelets, if you like.

Atlantic Bridge and LSB have been solvent and debt free for over 13 years, I guarantee you the financial position and business relationships are 100% sound. Have no worries on that score.

Linda and I are aware of some organizational weaknesses a couple of you have mentioned--they need fixing so we get things correct 100% of the time. That said, royalties have been paid for 13 years without any major issues--a few smaller errors were always fixed and resolved quickly.

I apologize to those of you who have had poor editorial experiences during my time in charge. I know that's an area Linda is prioritizing promptly, spearheaded by the experienced and talented Terri Schaefer, so I expect things will improve soon.

I get the impression werewolves and shifter romance is what does well at LS.

A friend of mine had runaway sales with her contemporary romance...

Yes to both of you. Wolves and shifters are top sellers for us, but our 2013 bestseller so far is a contemporary, and our 3rd all-time bestseller is suspense. It shouldn't be a LSB-specific thing, since the vast majority of our sales come from our dozens of external retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, ARE, Kobo etc. I doubt any readers search for LSB books in those places, they search for author or genre or themes.

Our overall book sales continue to rise. 2013-Q1 was our best quarter ever, up 40% on 2012-Q1, and 2013-Q2 looks to be up 25% on 2012-Q2 [I'm currently working on the Q2 sales and royalty figures].

Sadly, not every author sees corresponding increases in their individual sales, as some of you mentioned, which is the case with every publisher. All we can do is work to increase sales--which now includes special initiatives aimed at boosting low sellers--and continue to learn about what works and doesn't as the market changes.

But I assure you LSB books do sell--nearly 200 of our books have sold over 1,000 paid copies. Plenty of releases from five years ago and older still sell hundreds per year.

Thanks to all of you for your many comments in this thread over the years, I'm sure I will see you again in the future.

Terri Schaefer

Ed Director, Liquid Silver Books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.liquidsilverbooks.com
Hi everyone! Hope it's cool to post here (and if it's not, I'll fade back into the woodwork :)), but just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm Terri Schaefer, the new Editorial Director at LSB. Or maybe I should say the old/new ED, since I did it for a quite a long bit in the past.

Anyway, I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about LSB, whether it's here on the forum, through PM, or at my e-mail addie: [email protected]

We're also putting a call out for Valentine's Day stories, so if you've got a V-Day romance, I'd love to read it. No genre specifications or heat levels, it just needs to be V-Day themed.

Cheers!

Terri

Terri Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Dark and Steamy Night
Word Count: 25-35K | Genre: All | Heat: 2 or 3 | Deadline: July 1, 2014

Liquid Silver Books is seeking submissions to be published in time for Halloween 2014. We want to spice up our readers’ All Hallows Eve with lush, creepily atmospheric romances. From the swamps of the Deep South to abandoned estates in New England to ghost towns in the Old West, give our readers a creeptastic romance they’ll rave about for the next 364 days—then re-read next Halloween.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes to both of you. Wolves and shifters are top sellers for us, but our 2013 bestseller so far is a contemporary, and our 3rd all-time bestseller is suspense. It shouldn't be a LSB-specific thing, since the vast majority of our sales come from our dozens of external retailers like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Apple, ARE, Kobo etc. I doubt any readers search for LSB books in those places, they search for author or genre or themes.
Yes I still think of how it was back in 2009 people bought more from bigger e-publishers, or bought specific things from different epublishers but Amazon is the great equalizer.

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Solid company, pays on time (quarterly), with author-friendly contract terms (in my opinion anyway). I've been happy with their editorial process, cover art, and distribution. I plan on subbing to them again (if only this gosh darn X'mas story will cooperate...). Everyone I've dealt with has been super nice and supportive.

DexyDoo

I typed "semen" how many times???
Registered
Reaction score
I have a contemporary, friends to lovers novella I'm thinking of submitting to LS.

Does anyone know if their response times are still around three weeks?
Any news on if sales are good?
Have they gotten their organization skills together?
Basically any news at all? :p

Terri Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Dexy -- I'll chime in on the response time, and then let other folks answer the more subjective questions :)

Our response time for in-house authors is around a week, and I try to get responses back to other submissions within 7-10 calendar (not business) days. My outer threshold for subs since I came on board has been 20 days.

Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to give me a shout with any other questions.

Terri Schaefer
Acquisitions/Editorial Director
Liquid Silver Books

DexyDoo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Terri!

Thanks for chiming in! :)

DexyDoo

Registered
Reaction score
Thought I'd post about my experience with Liquid Silver so far.

Submitted July 8
Acceptance July 22
Received and signed contract July 23
Assigned an editor July 25
Projected release date is October 13

Terri (acquisitions editor) is super friendly and quick to answer questions.
The contract is the most author friendly I've come across so far. No big rights grabs.

I'm super excited to work with them. :)

Terri Schaefer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Greetings! We're quickly approaching our deadline for Valentine's Day stories (1 November-ish), so if you've got a V-Day themed book you'd like me to eyeball, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] or PM me.

I'd love to see more Heat Level 3 submissions, as they tend to move pretty well.

As always, give me a shout with any questions!

Terri

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Deep Breaths and launching myself into the sea!

This year started with some very bad news, and I withdrew several submissions I had out there in order to concentrate on family matters, but I have wanted to work with LS for a while, and when they extended me an offer I dithered, but then I had to accept! I am very happy to be joining the house and am wading through the myriad of paperwork! By golly their turnaround from acceptance to publication is wicked fast, but I'm telling myself I can do it! Wish me luck!

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
This year started with some very bad news, and I withdrew several submissions I had out there in order to concentrate on family matters, but I have wanted to work with LS for a while, and when they extended me an offer I dithered, but then I had to accept! I am very happy to be joining the house and am wading through the myriad of paperwork! By golly their turnaround from acceptance to publication is wicked fast, but I'm telling myself I can do it! Wish me luck!

You can do it! Go, you! Good luck, and have fun!

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Pisco! So glad to see you moving forward with a good publisher. Fingers crossed.

I know, right? I have no complaints about my main publisher, but the mistake I made with my sci-fi romance was horrendous! I'm glad I got my rights back, though. Still don't know what I'm going to do with that book, most probably self-publish at some stage. *sigh* Thanks for the good wishes! I'm really happy with Liquid Silver so far, very organised and I like that.

Question: Has anybody made use of their print rights for their books with LS? One thing I like is that they don't grab rights they aren't going to exploit and I'm wondering how people go about selling their books in print while LS sells the digi-version?