Final Amazon Studios comment

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So I have decided to submit something to Amazon studios, a series called Rain From the Island which is kind of a Harry Potter meets Final Fantasy sort of thing. Still I have some trepidation about submitting. I have read the agreement, I agree that it is not predatory and that they get a decision period of 45 days. It all sounds well and good, but still, I don't know if I am ready. I would possibly get some recognition for it, but certainly not the kind that I would get if I produced with a production company or a known network. But submitting to networks and production companies is like pulling teeth. Amazon Studios might just be the option that is the best for me if I want to make something and just have it be done. I don't do this for money. While money is nice, it is not the sole purpose for my writing. I believe that it would be a good idea, but I would like to get a final opinion. What do you think? Basically I would be selling this outright, for the most part, whaich I am okay with, but any final words of wisdom would be helpful in giving me the final push. Thank you!!
;)

leim

Registered
Reaction score
I just got done reading the Amazon agreement, man was that long! I agree, it doesn't at all seem predatory or shady, but it doesn't seem to be open for any negotiation. I too am considering this and nervous about the step. But, like you said, if it gets something done then it might be worth it. My only concern lies in the "credit" portion of the agreement. I don't mind selling the rights flat out for a flat fee, it's a sacrifice I am willing to make if it gets me in that giant screenwriting door. But, I am concerned about not getting a writing credit on it. From all I've read about breaking into screenwriting, that seems to be the biggest thing to make sure you get on your first screenplay, "written by." Does anyone see that possibility from reading the credits portion of the agreement?

All in all though it seems pretty up front, and I think I'll give it a try.

Good luck to you.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
You can't win if you don't play.

Unless you consider sitting around with an unproduced script 'winning'. And some folks do.

Who are you going to send it to... directly... for a guaranteed read, that is going to offer you a six figure deal right out of the box? "Uncle Bob's Garage Studios"? I don't think so.

It will cost you forty five days of 'waiting'. Frankly, the first two weeks, I doubt they'll download it. They seem to be running about two weeks behind in reading.

Worst case scenario - nothing happens. But, that's what you've got right now... nothing happening.

Next case scenario. They like it, option it, you get 10 grand, and the right to brag "My script was optioned by Amazon..." - That's worth something. It's a brick of credibility in your career. While Amazon sits on it for eighteen months, you're out there shopping your next great script as an 'optioned' screenwriter. Plus you've got ten grand to show for it. THEN - Nothing happens. The option expires... you still have the ten grand, the script is back in your hands, and the right to say you HAVE optioned a script. You're an 'optioned writer'. Yay.

(Speaking as an optioned writer - yeah, it makes a difference in opening doors.)

Next case scenario. They extend the option -you get more money - then nothing. Yay, same as above, but with more cash.

Next case scenario. They option it - hire out the re-write. Someone else comes on board, makes some money - gets attached. You share credit. That's how it's done in the business... especially for first time writers. Then.... nothing happens. The option expires, and that version of the script is dead to you. You get back your original version - and all the benefits of having been 'optioned'. Yay.

Next case scenario. It's optioned. YOU do all the rewrites for sole credit. It gets made. You make a bunch of money. YAY. It groses over 60 mill BIG YAY... more money. Lots of bragging. Academy Awards dress decisions haunt your dreams.

Next case scenario. It's optioned. Others come on board for rewrite. You share credit. It gets made. You make the SAME money... but share credit. Pretty typical in the business. Now your Academy Award speech has to be shorter. YAY.

'Worst' case scenario - they make some version of your script - that is wildly successful... but you are somehow 'pushed' down to 'story by' or 'no' credit. You make a ton of money. You can tell everyone it's based on your story. And you have proof. Still get bragging rights as optioned writer. Still get ton of money. Believe me that will open doors.

(All of this is assuming you're submitting 'privately' - and not going the public route. I believe that's what you have expressed.)

Tell me again what you're 'afraid' of?

Success? Or the disappointment of not being noticed?

You can't win, if you don't play.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
but you are somehow 'pushed' down to 'story by' or 'no' credit. You make a ton of money. You can tell everyone it's based on your story. And you have proof. Still get bragging rights as optioned writer. Still get ton of money. Believe me that will open doors.

If your name isn't in the credits *somewhere* how do you have proof? Carry around a photocopy of the check or contract? ;)

(noob question, sorry)

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Sure, you can do that. Carry around a photocopy. The fact that the script was optioned - will be public. It will be 'searchable' online. And honestly, it's not like they are going to 'hide' where the original story comes from. As a writer you get to establish your IMDB.Com information.

It's not like they push you down a black hole. The act of optioning, developing and producing the script - leaves a paper trail in the industry.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Currently, my script is being evaluated for the development slate. Victoria, you can just submit your work and see how it goes.

I am also considering Amazon Studio and was wondering if anyone did follow through and submit, and I'm wondering how your progress is going?

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Writeknight, great analysis.
I found out about Amazon studios about a week ago, and it does seem the fastest way to get noticed.
The only thing that you should be aware of, is that it's better to submit a story that you're not planning to develop as a series, because you lose any right to the stories sequels and prequels if they buy it from you. (of course, maybe they'll hire you to write it, but it's not guaranteed).
Other than that, if it's a one-shot story you're aiming for, my advice is go for it!

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just one question though. Have they produced any films yet? I don't see that they really have yet. Or at least not films that have made it to the theater. I'll have to look up on IMDB to see what they have to say. Right now it seems like they are just producing shows and have not made any film projects yet. I'll check it out though. I have one that I am going to send to them. We'll see.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
The other day I saw some survey, they were asking people to choose which series to develop. Hadn't really followed the situation, since my current projects don't fit what they look for.

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah I was just wondering, but I see that they have a couple of films coming out next year, so I guess they are making films, they just don't have them ready yet. I am going to go ahead and send them my comedy script and see what they think. As Writeknight said, what's the worse that could happen?

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
My project did not fit what they was looking for. However, they gave me a list of production companies where I could submit my project to.

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
There first series are just coming out. I watched the first episode of Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street. The first episode was free, but the rest are pay by view. Watching this kid's 1/2 hour program was fun. The story reminded me a bit of Ray Bradbury's stories from his hometown of Waukegan, IL.

On December 23, Mozart In the Jungle premieres online and there is a movie in the works about Iraq. Here is the press release.

Yourg

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing that you should be aware of, is that it's better to submit a story that you're not planning to develop as a series, because you lose any right to the stories sequels and prequels if they buy it from you. (of course, maybe they'll hire you to write it, but it's not guaranteed).

Unfortunately, as I understand it, that's just the norm. If someone buys your screenplay, then they buy your story and all your rights to it. Unless, perhaps, you're someone like J.K. Rowling.

You get the money they give you, and hopefully a credit.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, as I understand it, that's just the norm. If someone buys your screenplay, then they buy your story and all your rights to it. Unless, perhaps, you're someone like J.K. Rowling.

You get the money they give you, and hopefully a credit.

It depends on how you negotiate. Generally they will want to keep rights for sequels and prequels. This is ok if they pay good. But if you're SURE to prepare a series, or a trilogy etc, then you will want to negotiate either a higher price, or keep those rights. Maybe it's different for me because I'm also producer and I try to keep as much as possible of the IP rights, but everything is negotiable - if you know you have a script with a lot of merchandising possibilities, than you should negotiate a higher price.