• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Howard Morhaim Literary Agency

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Has anyone had experience with Jenna Duncan at Howard Morhaim Lit (or with Mr. Morhaim himself?) I was unable to find much on Jenna or the agency itself, though Mr. Mohaim is listed in connection to several books through Google Books.

Just curious because they just requested a full mss off of a partial. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm not familiar with Jenna Duncan, (perhaps a new agent) but Howard Morhaim sells quite a few books, both fiction and non fiction. Kate McKean at the same agency is also starting to sell some books.

A request for a full is great. Congrats.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Many reputable agencies, especially smaller ones, (and maybe older ones) don't. My own agent is at a small agency that's been around for 25 years with nary a web presence. She says they'll get around to it one of these days.

snowbound01

Morhaim

According to agentquery.com they represent Arturo Perez-Reverte, author of The Club Dumas, Queen of the South, The Flanders Panel, Captain Alatriste, etc. Good luck with them...

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I was surprised during my querying process at how many agencies don't have websites.

I don't think it's at all unusual.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't Morhaim rep Stephen R. Donaldson? Anyway, I just sent off a query package to Kate McKean. The only thing I found was just the usual, a conferene bio, etc. But heck, if they represent Donaldson, they're good enough for me, heh heh.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with Jenna Duncan at Howard Morhaim Lit (or with Mr. Morhaim himself?) I was unable to find much on Jenna or the agency itself, though Mr. Mohaim is listed in connection to several books through Google Books.

Just curious because they just requested a full mss off of a partial. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, congratulations on the request for a full mss -- that's always, as The Woman Says, "a good thing"!

What I would like to know -- and I'm not trying to be snotty, here -- is why you sent your material to the agency without knowing everything possible about it FIRST?

Sorry -- perhaps I'm misreading your posting -- and all you're looking for, to supplement the hard facts you've already gathered, is some first-hand experiences? That would make sense.

But it seems to me alot of people "shoot first and ask questions later" when it comes to submissions. Not clever.

Just Me 2021

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I queried Mr. Morhaim himself - knowing full well that he is a FABULOUS, top notch agent. Yet the request came from Jenna Duncan at his agency, and I can't find a thing on her.

Perhaps she is a new agent there? That's my guess, and I'm not opposed to going with a new agent at an established agency. But I thought it'd be wise to find out what I could about her in case I get the most coveted call. Plus, I have my full mss out to two other agents - both of whom are in the same league as Mr. Morhaim himself - over 20 years experience, great sales records - so I want to be prepared if the call comes from Ms. Duncan.

And Mr. Morhaim does not have a website, so it is not as easy to find information on his agency and how they do things there. Obviously they do things well, because he has an amazing track record, but I wanted to find out who Ms. Duncan is.

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
She may be an assistant. Many queries I've sent in are responded to by the agent's assistant rather than the agent him or herself - they're the buffer zone, I suppose, so they catch more of the bad stuff coming through.

Last edited:

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Mr. Morhaim himself - knowing full well that he is a FABULOUS, top notch agent. Yet the request came from Jenna Duncan at his agency, and I can't find a thing on her.

Perhaps she is a new agent there? That's my guess, and I'm not opposed to going with a new agent at an established agency. But I thought it'd be wise to find out what I could about her in case I get the most coveted call. Plus, I have my full mss out to two other agents - both of whom are in the same league as Mr. Morhaim himself - over 20 years experience, great sales records - so I want to be prepared if the call comes from Ms. Duncan.

And Mr. Morhaim does not have a website, so it is not as easy to find information on his agency and how they do things there. Obviously they do things well, because he has an amazing track record, but I wanted to find out who Ms. Duncan is.

My apologies for even suggesting you went off half-cocked -- you obviously know what you're doing, and even better, it looks like you can write well enough to catch an established agency's attention!

Good luck with this -- I hope you succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

Just Me 2021

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
My apologies in return if I sounded defensive... Because I was. (Sheepish grin.) Probably because I'm scared to death that none of these agents will pan out. You know how that goes. I'm in that neurotic stage of waiting to hear back from these agents and my hopes are sooooo high. I'm sure you understand.

No foul, and I hope you suceed also. In fact, I'm hoping a dozen excellent new publishers and about two dozen fabulous new agents will come on the scene in the next year and all of us who have worked our asses off to create fabulous pieces of art will find publication. That's my wish when I blow out the birthday candles or throw a penny in the well.

Last edited:

Just Me 2021

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hey Spiny,

I've wondered if Ms. Duncan is an assistant also. I haven't a clue though if that is true because I haven't found any info on her still.

Thanks for chiming in.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
... I hope you suceed also. In fact, I'm hoping a dozen excellent new publishers and about two dozen fabulous new agents will come on the scene in the next year and all of us who have worked our asses off to create fabulous pieces of art will find publication. That's my wish when I blow out the birthday candles or throw a penny in the well.

As my dad would say: "From your lips to God's ears!"

(Although, I guess the modern equivalent would be: "From your fingertips to God's eyes," eh what?)

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dealt with Kate Menick there? I can find info on the agency, and one (fan) site lists Kate Menick as Dorothy Gilman's agent, but otherwise I can't find much on her (except that she has a listing on agentquery, and accepts e-mail queries). I'm interested in her YA sales, if any.

RTH

Call me Ishmael
Registered
Reaction score
I had Katie Menick request a partial not too long ago. She didn't ask for more, but she was prompt and courteous.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sent her a query about 3 weeks ago.
Haven't heard back yet

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Does Kate McKean handle fantasy? I know she does YA and mine's YA fantasy and I don't want to send if she won't look at fantasy.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Congrats on the request for a full.

"You are hereby authorized to perform a five minute happy dance on the lawn of your choosing."

The story sounds fascinating, and very timely, by the way.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Does Kate McKean handle fantasy? I know she does YA and mine's YA fantasy and I don't want to send if she won't look at fantasy.

I hope she does. I sent her samples of my fantasy novel

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I hope she does. I sent her samples of my fantasy novel

:) I wish you the best of luck.

I guess if you sent fantasy, it won't be totally out of the blue for me to send her fantasy.