• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Howard Morhaim Literary Agency

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Her Agentquery.com entry says she handles fantasy

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
In Kate McKean's agentquery.com profile it seems that there's a bullet on her submission guidelines with no info. (like there was a glitch or something) I was wondering if that's her guidelines for e-mail? Or does she not accept e-mail submissions? Just wondering if I should snail mail or e-mail.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Since her Agentquery entry says that she will take a query with 3 chapters by snail mail then that is what I would send. It gives her the chance to judge you by your writing rather than by your query letter.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
In Kate McKean's agentquery.com profile it seems that there's a bullet on her submission guidelines

fyi, I snail mailed her my first three chaps & query, and it's been two months with no response. Can you say "rejection" boys and girls? ;) I am fairly certain she might have checked my "author" Web site, though, about a week or so after receiving the package.

your mileage may vary (and i hope it's better than mine!)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Kate Menick just requested more chapters of my fantasy novel

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Waylander! She's got a full of mine, too. I hope things go well and she loves your partial and wants more!

yossarian

Congrats to Just Me, litgirl, and waylander (a David Gemmell fan perhaps?)

How long was it before you heard back from someone at the agency?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Ms Menick took about a month to reply to my snail mail query.

And yes, a David Gemmell fan.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Kate Menick took about six weeks to reply to my e-mail query.

Congrats to Just Me and Waylander! I hope good things come of your requests!

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
...And I'm out. If it helps anyone get an idea of response times, I e-queried with sample chapters on April 25, got a full request June 5, and a decline July 2.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Bad luck Litgirl. Keep sending it out. If it is good enough for one agent to want the full then someone else will want it too.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Waylander. That wasn't my only full out, so hopefully it'll connect with someone else out there. Hope you get in!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
She must be catching up on her reading. Just received a 'not right for me' rejection on my partial.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Waylander. Onwards and upwards!

airforceauthor

Board Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
hey kemj, thanks for the website on howard morhaim. I queried him about two weeks back and am waiting for a reply...

Just Me 2021

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I had e - queried on 3-13-07, got a request for a full ms on 3-26-07, and was offered representation from another agent in early June, so I alerted them and gave them two weeks to respond - I received no response which I guess translated into a "no thanks." Which is fine, I have signed with a wonderful agent. But I just wanted to let you know they had my full ms for 3 months. I guess it can take a while for some of these agencies to respond. Their first priority is their existing clients, of course.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Kate McKean asked for the first 50 pages last Monday. Of course, I haven't heard back from her yet, but I was just wondering from others who have sent partials if she sends an e-mail confirming receipt. I didn't get one, and this has me afraid she might not have gotten it. She's one of my top choices, too.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Katie had my partial for 6 weeks and form rejected the full in 3. Faster than most.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Re. Kate Menick--I got a partial request two days after I sent the query. Sending it to her right now...

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Does anyone know anything about Brandi Bowles, who is now supposed to be with this agency? I know she used to be an editor with Three Rivers Press, but I can't find ANYTHING about her ANYWHERE. I may have the opportunity to pitch her at a conference in March, and I generally do a ton of research before querying or pitching anyone, but I can't find anything on AgentQuery, PM, or any of the books.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
She joined the agency in October, so it's a little early to expect a sales record. The agency site is still under construction, but various conference bios describe what she's interested in. I wager she's making the rounds to get her name out there and start building a client list. If you feel comfortable with her practicing on your book, go for it; otherwise, I'd suggest holding off for six months or so to see what sales she can make.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
I guess I was just looking for her editorial record as well, since I figured she was probably new as an agent. While I don't have a general objection to a new agent, I might have specific ones if I could find out anything about her track record in the biz. Anyone out there ever work with her on the editorial side?

I just don't like the idea of going into a pitch blind. I'd feel the same way about a job interview.