FebNoWriMo 2015

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since the clock is ticking down on January I thought I'd get next month's thread up and running.

Since I didn't achieve ANY of my January goals, I'm rolling them all over to February. So no big changes here:

Finish first draft of WIP: 111,657 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: 0 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
Last month's original goals: send out stories instead of sitting on them.

auzerais

I like puppies.
Registered
Reaction score
I am reasonably happy with my progress on my January goals, given that I was hit in the face with Life Stuff, so...here goes.

Finish Games of Thrones,
then read 5 more books.
Ten journal entries.
Do Part one of the editing process on this link:
http://hollylisle.com/one-pass-manuscript-revision-from-first-draft-to-last-in-one-cycle/
Then follow part two of the editing process for Part One of the book. I don't know if it is reasonable to expect that I will finish this in February, but I would like to see some effort.
Then write a list of scenes that are missing from Part One.

Here goes!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
In honour of FAWM (February Album Writing Month - it's a song-writing competition like NaNoWriMo) I'm going to have to make a musical goal this month. And I'm getting sick of the Happiness Updates of last month. So...

1. Record some guitar music that doesn't suck.
2. Finish writing this non-fiction WIP (it's only a short book as planned).

So. I think I'll stick to just those 2 goals for now.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
1. Finish my Secret Solstice story (this has to happen, no matter what by the 14th)
2. Finish my beta read that I am delinquent on (I promised this would happen this week)
3. Edit short and send it back out
4. Work on either H/V1 tweaking, aPB revising, or H/V3 writing.
5. Read 12 more books.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try to keep in mind that February is a short month while creating my goals. I highly doubt that it's going to make too much of a difference.

Goals for February:

*Keep up with schoolwork (of course)
*Write at least 5k of non-school anything even if it's just journaling. Or random letters. Just writing.
*Read 5 books
*Review at least 1 book
*Complete 5 DayZero goals
*Finish scholarship applications
*Finish upgrading my computer so I can play games

Yep, short month totally did not help me there. So be it. Let's see what I can do. :)

~Amber~

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I always read these threads and have goals, but I never post. So I thought I might!

1. Edit Secret Solstice Story
2. Edit four chapters of WIP
3. Edit two other stories
4. Read four books.
5. Either minimum 500 words OR two edited pages per day.

Given all my goals are editing ones, I suspect it will be the latter. I completed all my January goals, but it was at doing a minimum of things and playing lots of games. I'm going to try and do better this month (but hopefully still play lots of games).

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Just a few goals this month:

1) Finish WIP #4.
2) Finish betaing book.

I'm expecting a lot of time in the upcoming couple of weeks that will be just waiting around, so hopefully I'll get a good chunk knocked out during that time.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always read these threads and have goals, but I never post. So I thought I might!

1. Edit Secret Solstice Story
2. Edit four chapters of WIP
3. Edit two other stories
4. Read four books.
5. Either minimum 500 words OR two edited pages per day.

Given all my goals are editing ones, I suspect it will be the latter. I completed all my January goals, but it was at doing a minimum of things and playing lots of games. I'm going to try and do better this month (but hopefully still play lots of games).

Glad you posted, Tamlyn. You and Sage and I can encourage each other (i.e. crack the whip) to get our Secret Solstice stories finished!

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
My life is all about work and robots right now, so I'm going light on the goals...

• Finish going through beta notes
  • Apply beta notes
  • Send out second beta round
  • Plot SNI
  • Keep up with homework

This amounts to a lot of finishing what I started last month, but I have done all of my beta reads, so that's one accomplishment off my plate. Fingers crossed beta round two will give me a solid progress check. Maybe I'll even get started on the new SNI (no chance).

I've used this, and it's pretty close to my current edit method. Now that I use scrivener, some of the steps have changed a little (the docs are much more modular/manageable), but I found her course wonderfully helpful. It also got me started on buying a lot of her other courses, which have really made a big impact for me.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to join this thread this month and I am going to try and stick with it instead of disappearing into the land of lurking too.

Goals:

. Finish edits on WIP
Short and simple, should be able to manage that, maybe. :tongue

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
2077 words yesterday. I need to regain some momentum.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Well, January went well.
2 blog posts. 2 books and I've written a novella (35K), which is waiting for me to edit. But, I will be leaving it on the side for a bit.

February. Write and finish WIP.
I'm currently 800 words in.
4 blog posts. And 4 books.

Hope it goes well :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my life is suddenly more cartoonish than usual.

I drove to my mother's to spend her birthday week with her (she turns 94 next Sunday) and had not even been there six hours when I got a frantic call from a casting director asking me to take over a role in a show, effective IMMEDIATELY. This means I will have to get back on the road today, overnight somewhere along the way, complete the trip home Tuesday, repack and get on a train to NYC at oh-dark-thirty Wednesday morning. I'll only be in NYC for four days (the show will be performed in the DC area, where I live), so I'll actually be back home when I'd originally planned to be - but the difference is that instead of returning from a pleasant trip to a life of placid house-wifery, I'll be in the process of frantically trying to learn a role before the show goes in front of an audience. Hi-diddle-dee-dee, an actor's life for me...

It may be that all my good February intentions may be for naught - but maybe not. I'm going to leave them in place and see what happens. I got just a little written yesterday on the WIP but I really have to focus on finishing the short story since that's on deadline.

Finish first draft of WIP: 111,984 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: 0 out of 2
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

Last edited:

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, mrsmig! Sounds hectic. Hope it all goes well. :)

In January, I finished out my NaNoWriMo novel's first draft (ended at about 64k) and started brainstorming my next WIP.

In February, my main goal is to finish brainstorming, the bulk of my research, and hopefully an outline for my WIP, so that I can hopefully start writing by the last week in February, since I'm pretty excited about it! I want to leave my NaNo novel to simmer for a week or two, and then do a read through and start editing.

SoCalWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I think I'm going to join this thread to keep myself on task for the month. I recently left my job and am in the midst of finding a new one so I want to make the most of my time off. Here are my goals for the month

1. Write 1,000 words a day in my WIP until it is finished (I'm very close to the end)
2. Finish beta-ing a book I've had for months
3. Read 4 books

Looking at it, it seems doable. Here's hoping!

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Here we go again. Hopefully I'll get to cross more off this month, as it's starting to get a bit embarrassing :tongue

• Plot L2 with the Snowflake Method
  • Get all critique group responses done within the first week
  • Edit novella first & second parts from feedback
  • Clean up novella third part and send to critique group
  • Finishing reviewing short story and send back to editor
  • Get my other waiting short stories submitted

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Did 20 pages of revision last night. I do know how to fix that problem I had in the second chapter. If it's not enough of a fix, I can add to it.

Halfway through the third chapter, an hour's worth of work, and it still surprises me how quickly I get right back into the world. Hopefully, I'll finish chapter three tonight, and that will mean I'm nearly half way. Half. Way.

Clearly, I'm super excited to make some progress.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Cliff Face!

One chapter down. Many more to go. I was meant to be working on My SS story today as well, but I think I need a break. Maybe I'll get more done later.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
This month's to do list:

- finish edits for Reflected (editor gave some great suggestion, but man, going through edits takes ages for this one!)
- finish first draft of Ghostslayer (would be about time, but I'm getting there)
- edit Ghostslayer
- query The Gatekeeper (YA novella)
- blog at least twice a week
- finish client edits (so far, two proofreading projects and an editing project for this month, maybe more)

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
thought it'd be a good idea to get back into this. I've been slacking for a few months.

February Goal:
- Try to write a little bit every day on WIP and meet weekly goals. Total word count goal for February: 25,000 words.
-Edit previous written scenes for WIP.
-Write contributing articles for hellogiggles
-Maybe try and do some flash fiction.