JanNoWriMo 2015!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness Update:

Played guitar. At first it sounded bad, but eventually got better: +4, medium-term.

Manic mood is slipping, no longer feel as energetic or happy: -3, short-term.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
One final Happiness Update for the month:

Wrote yet more of this non-fiction WIP, making nearly 2k words for today, and nearly 3k words total: +7, long-term.

(It's nearly 5pm on the 31st here, so this will be the last update, most likely.)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Nice way to end the month, Cliff! :)

It's still 10:30ish in the morning on the 31st here so I still have some time left for stuff. I completed another of my DayZero goals this morning, and I may or may not have time to squeeze another one in today. I think I'm going to go through my list and start plotting for next month.

This month has been weird. My work schedule has been shifting around for the last week and it's going to continue shifting around for several more weeks and it's making it very hard to remember when I'm supposed to work... >.> Luckily I've only been early and not late. As long as I clear it with my boss early is fine.

School work has also been weird. I've had a lot of papers stacked up and I've been essentially putting in B-grade effort (and getting said B-grades) before feeling like I'm going to fall asleep and I should just stop. I've been getting all my work DONE, which is important, but I wish I could be doing a bit better with it. I should have a bit more time on my next papers than my previous ones. I've also accidentally been getting good grades on my Japanese quizzes... That's always nice.

I have a comics magazine staff meeting at one and then my mom and nana are visiting, so I should probably start getting ready for that.

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've figured out a way to analyse my happiness scores for this month. Basically, take the value given (+5 for instance) and multiply by short/medium/long term as x1/x2/x3. Add up, and then the final score should be divided by 3, to account for the whole "A month is long-term" thing.

So I just did that, and I got +90 for the main score, so +30 long-term for the month. That's just... Erm, no, I didn't feel that happy. I think the problem may be that I under-posted about the negative feelings.

So yes. Not really too thrilled with this scoring system. I mean, I think I was happier overall than not, but not by that much!

I also noted that high scores (+/- 7 or higher), and all but one of the high pluses was for creative things (the other one was for minimalism), whereas all the high negatives were about feelings of malaise, depression, etc.

So anyway. That's my end-of-month wrap-up. :)

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I've had to jump back and forth between my laptop and notebook to keep up my new output. It's starting to hinder me because I can't write longhand as quickly as I want. January wasn't a loss. I wasn't able to send out anything, but I got one story's revisions settled, learned to take better notes, and I was able to push through this cold. I need to sell another book, so I can see what I can really do when I get a desktop.

Eesh. I totally forgot I finished off a novel too. *scratches head* This cold is killing my memory.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only a few hours left in January and I'm just embarrassed that I didn't make ANY of my goals for the month. I mean, not even the reading goal, which should have been the easiest one. I've been reading magazines and "junk" books (my husband's latest Bathroom Reader, specifically) but have made no progress on the book I was reading at the beginning of the month. And the blog post? Phooey.

I was on the road most of the day and got a couple hundred words written on the WIP once I was ensconced in my hotel room, but I was pretty tired after seven hours behind the wheel and none of the words were coming easy. On the upside, I did get a fair amount written on the WIP this month and it could be that expecting to finish the first draft was a little too optimistic. At least I still have a couple of weeks to finish the short story...

Finish first draft of WIP: 111,958 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 2,865 words out of ????
Read two books: .5 out of 3
Write one blog post: 0 out of 1

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
- Write my short for the Secret Solstice Swap
-- I wrote most of it

- Edit H/V1 for a beta
-- Ignored this one.

- Finish betaing a friend's novel (I read it in 3 days, and abandoned it in the reread)
-- Failed this one

- Edit one short story and submit it
-- I subbed 3!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Final check-in:

Goals for January:
*Stay caught up on school work (important!) Only barely... But check.
*Read 7 books (rereading Harry Potter... Hence the number...) Ha. I got one and three quarters. I may have read another book or two at some point during the month but I can't remember it. I did read a comic magazine at one point.
*Write at least 5k on something not school work-related Nooope. Closest I came is editing/copyediting.
*Complete at least 5 DayZero goals So I got 4/5 here, which is pretty good.
*Complete my necessary scholarship and study abroad applications (also important!) Study abroad is done, scholarship ones are not quite there but they aren't due for a bit still so I should be okay.
*Play video games. At least once on a weekend during school time. Seriously. Games. Didn't happen, unfortunately... I'm going to blame it on the fact that I'm still working on upgrading my computer and I got too distracted by schoolwork to finish that up so I COULD play games. It's a pathetic excuse but it happened.

Not my best month. Of course, I rarely have best months. Most months I make more goals than I can handle so I suppose it's not all that surprising that I didn't get all of them done. I did more than last month. I'll take it. :)

On to February!

~Amber~

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I looked at the date yesterday, and couldn't believe the month was over. I've been stupidly busy.

• Finish Beta in progress Done!
  • Read other swap/beta finished last one yesterday!
  • Gather notes from my betas and combine Done, but this ended up being a different step than I expected. Sidelined to beta one more MS.
  • Apply beta notes two chapters in
  • Plot SNI still waiting...
  • Go to remaining classes Yes!
  • Keep up with homework I missed my homework once, but I am reupping for the next series of classes

I don't know how I thought I'd get all this done with robots in full swing, but gosh darn it, it was a busy month (also, like 100+ hours devoted to Dragon Age. That's the real culprit)

After I send off my beta notes today, I'll be free to get back to revision. I had no idea how easy it was to combine word docs, to gather comments. Now that I've done it, I can evaluate notes as I make changes on the paper copy. It's a cool thing. I've got one real plot change in the first two chapters, but I haven't figured out what I'm changing it to. Oh well, revision is what this month will be for.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
That's a great idea. It's always better to have some company when I'm shut in my writing cave. :D I'll make sure to post regular updates.
How's the writing going? Making good strides?

Something came up and I had to bow out of the epic writing, but I will be here checking up on you from time to time!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I've figured out a way to analyse my happiness scores for this month. Basically, take the value given (+5 for instance) and multiply by short/medium/long term as x1/x2/x3. Add up, and then the final score should be divided by 3, to account for the whole "A month is long-term" thing.

So I just did that, and I got +90 for the main score, so +30 long-term for the month. That's just... Erm, no, I didn't feel that happy. I think the problem may be that I under-posted about the negative feelings.

So yes. Not really too thrilled with this scoring system. I mean, I think I was happier overall than not, but not by that much!

I realised last night that I made a mistake here. It shouldn't be 90 divided by 3 (for long-term) because the "long-term" modifier was being used to mean "most of the day". So I should be dividing by 30, more like, to average out over the month!

So the month's average was +3, which makes more sense to me. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Chasing the Horizon - so what was your final word count?

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Huh. I was busy this month, but it appears to have been doing things that were not on this list :Shrug:

• Plot L2 with the Snowflake Method
  • Plot L3 with the Snowflake Method
  • Critique all submissions to the group within the first week (Okay, some took a little longer, but I'm counting it anyway.)
  • Edit novella first chapter from feedback
  • Clean up novella second chapter and send to critique group
  • Revise make editorial changes to short story and send back

So, once again, I'm bumping things to next month, and have taken far too long to do them. Not sure how to change that yet, and feeling pretty annoyed with myself, really :rant: