Cures for the Post-NaNoWriMo Hangover

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
So, it will be December and the excitement will all die down. You won't get an official counter again until Camp NaNoWriMo, if that'll cure your addiction. What else can you do to drown your sorrows when the nanowrimo.org site reverts to its hibernating state? How about: drink eggnog. With a healthy shot of something medicinal mixed in.

Post your NaNoWriMo hangover cures and treatments here. :)

Hannah M

Me. Who else?
Registered
Reaction score
Can I just post my almost-post-nano-blues?

My first nano, my first novel, my first (almost) 50k words; December marks the end of an era. I'm worried about completing it - I'm only about half-way through my story but I love what I have so far. I started a nano schedule of rolling out of bed and into my chair at 6am to type for 1.5 hours every morning; I'm thinking of doing it once or twice a week now to keep up good habits. It would be a shame if this was the last my book saw of me. Of course, I could always finish it next nano...

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
eggnog makes an appearance in my nano....

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I'm rereading the novel with minor edits as I go. But I will then write book 3. It won't be as exciting without the NaNo adrenaline and community.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I put up a new counter, but I'm already 'meh' about updating it. :(

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score

My first nano, my first novel, my first (almost) 50k words; December marks the end of an era. I'm worried about completing it - I'm only about half-way through my story but I love what I have so far. I started a nano schedule of rolling out of bed and into my chair at 6am to type for 1.5 hours every morning; I'm thinking of doing it once or twice a week now to keep up good habits. It would be a shame if this was the last my book saw of me. Of course, I could always finish it next nano...

Congratulations on all the writing you did. It sounds like you have a great start. It would be foolish to wait a whole year to finish something you are into now. I would try and keep some sort of writing routine so you can finish your novel. Look at all you accomplished in one month. Even working at a slower speed, you will surely be done before the next NaNo starts. Good luck with it!

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I set up a project counter in Scrivener -- 100,000 words, and I'm giving myself until the end of February as a deadline (it's the fourth draft of my primary WIP, so I'm expecting it to go slower than the NaNo writing).

But eggnog sounds like a fabulous idea. *adds note to grocery list*

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to use WordKeeperAlpha, but it hasn't allowed me to edit the word count I already entered. I accidentally entered 1410 words twice, and now it says I wrote twice as much today as I actually did. :( So I will keep fiddling with it, but if it doesn't let me erase anything I enter, then I don't think it's going to work for me.

Here is another promising event to participate in:
http://writingchallenge.org/

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score

If it's NaNo you're specifically interested in, don't forget that NaNo holds Camp NaNo events in April and July which are exactly the same as what's done in November save for the fact that you get to choose your own word count.

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to challenge myself to keep writing. I am doing a challenge all by myself, via Twitter. I use the hashtags:
#1kDay (type a thousand words a day)
#FinishTheNovel (I finished my novel during NaNo, but I still want to add a few things to the early chapters, plus editing of course!)
#postnanochallenge
#postnano

And of course, I tweet these with the tag #nanowrimo, hoping to get participants. Hoping someone will join in.

I can't commit to the #DecWritingChallenge right now, but I can do this much! :D

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I miss my Nano counter.

It's hard to stay motivated to write without it.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Can I plug the SSSFFSS for post NaNo Hangover? :D *points at signature* Come join in the fun and write a story for someone for Christmas/Hannukah/Solstice/New Years/Valentines Day.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Did someone mention eggnog? I want eggnog.

Anyway, editing and writing a new first draft.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The Countdown to 2015 is really helping me keep writing and feel like I have a daily goal :D

mfarraday

Time Traveler
Registered
Reaction score
Where are you finding that, Sage? Is it linked in the NaNo forums?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's here on AW. In Writing Prompts, in the Flash Fiction Challenge subforum (password: flashed). Or you can go to my thread, linked in my sig. It's only day 9, so plenty of time to catch up! It's not restricted to flash either (as you'll see in my thread, where I went writing crazy a couple times), if you like longer things.