JanNoWriMo 2015!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did zero writing yesterday - ran errands and then to my local community/rec center. I bought a 4-month membership to help myself get in better shape during my upcoming "between gigs" period. I didn't do much actual working out since I'm still getting over this cold - swam, used the spa and sauna - but it felt good just to move. So I'm considering that a good day in spite of the no writing thing.

Finish first draft of WIP: 105,652 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 0 out of 1
Read two books: .5 out of 3
Write one blog post: 0 out of 2

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
After failing miserably in December, I'm going to make my January goals light.

1. Finish writing rough draft WIP#2. It's currently at 73,000.

2. Read 5 books.

3. Write 1 book review.

4. Let WIP#1 sit for now.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Back from vacation. Time to get back into the swing of things.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness update:

Been looking at some physics stuff, and I seem to remember some of it, and can probably figure out the rest: +7 with a long-term time score.

Just packed up 3 shopping bags, 2 and a bit with books and the remainder of #3 with DVDs, to donate on the weekend: +6 with a medium-term time score.

Inability to quit smoking plus the weather is pissing me off: -7 with a long-term time score.

So it's been a day of extremes so far... How are things for the rest of you? Oh, and one more to add:

Still haven't worked on a WIP: -6 with a medium-term time score.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I wrote two short stories for the AStoryAWeek Challenge - challenge rules are quite simple: write a short story a week.

First short word count: 4130 words
Second short story: 86226

+ 6k (I didn't keep exact track) in my WIP, that makes for a total of 18756 words so far in 2015. Not bad, not bad at all.

I'm halfway through a client edit, and would like to finish that by tonight. Then I have two more proofreading projects lined up.

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I took an advil, and it's calming down whatever plague I have to the point I can get back to work. Ugh, so much catching up to do.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did more editing than actual writing today. I realized that a minor character I'd recently introduced wasn't serving any real purpose, so I went back and wrote her out of the scene and then had to plug the holes she left behind. Fortunately she hadn't been around long enough to make an impact, so the holes weren't very deep. Still, I only gained about 100 words. I did, however, go to the gym and worked out today for about 45 minutes, then spent several hours pulling down and putting away Christmas decorations (the inside of the house is de-holidayed, but it was just too darned cold today to take down the outside stuff).

Finish first draft of WIP: 105,777 out of ?????
Write short story for Secret Solstice Swap: 0 out of 1
Read two books: .5 out of 3
Write one blog post: 0 out of 2

Doubting that I'll get much written this weekend as my show is finally closing. Five more performances and we're done. I've got to start getting my stuff organized to take home.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally less horribly sick. I'm really pleased about this. Now, my endless cough only kicks up before bed and when I step out/come in from the cold. I almost feel human!

Beta finished! That's one goal off the list. Next is just to read a novel in prep to beta the sequel. I don't know how I'll resist the urge to comment.

After that, it's bad to edit land for me. I'm a little worried about digging in, but I've missed that MS. I'm trying to convince myself it'll be more worthwhile than plotting the new SNI. It's a hard sell. I'd always rather write something new...

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
All right, grad school starts back next week and I'm under the weather, so I have to keep January's goals simple:

1. Finish my short story, Unearthly (3,800/4,400)--I can't help it, I have to write something.
2. Begin revisions on NaNo 2014, Seer, in earnest (50,200/65,000)
3. More research for my 2016 WIPs
4. Finish reading The Raven Boys and Pretties

Last edited:

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I finished one client edit. Now two more proofreading projects to go, and then I have to go through the second round of edits for two clients by the end of January.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I barely survived last week. Slight exaggeration, but only just so.

Starting off, my aunt passed away on Sunday. I went to the hospital to visit a few hours earlier (against pretty much everyone's wishes because they didn't think I'd be able to handle it -- ironically enough I was the ONLY one there, other than my uncle, who could stay in the room for more than five minutes at a time. I sat there for close to three hours, getting up once to grab my tea on the other side of the room).

Then, of course, school started the next day. I had readings due that day (and work that I hadn't done) that I chose to postpone so I could go to the hospital instead. I skimmed them between my classes. Not ideal. I was basically behind from day one.

On campus from noon to 10pm Tuesday. I was doing something Tuesday morning but I can't remember what it was.

Huge stack of readings due Wednesday with Japanese homework. I barely had time to get it all done. Another "in-between classes" day.

Thursday was hectic because two of the three people who were supposed to be on shift at work with me didn't show up, so the other person and I were sprinting around campus by ourselves trying to fix everything and had to close the office at least four or five times. I also got upset because there was a dead squirrel on the sidewalk, and instead of taking it away someone just kicked it into the grass. It looked like it probably fell out of a tree and hit its head.

My neighbor took my garbage and recycling cans outside off of the curb on Wednesday (?) and put them behind her 5-foot fence without telling me. I thought they were stolen. At 4' 8" I wasn't exactly in the position where I could see that she had them. I got them back this morning with someone's dirty underwear in my recycling. I have no idea why.

And to top it all off, I had an essay due on Friday. Already. I felt like I had no time to write it at all. I did it the morning it was due, just after doing my Japanese homework that was due the same day, and then I turned in what I had and decided to forget about it because there's nothing I can do about it now.

And did I mention I've been sick all week?

*flop*

I'm sure it could have been worse -- I did get everything done that I needed to, after all, though only barely -- but I feel so exhausted. I'm hoping to use the rest of this weekend to get me back on track for next week so that hopefully I won't feel so behind the entire time. At the very least, I like all of my classes. And three days a week I only have an hour of class. That was beyond helpful during the last days of the week.

So I'm going to make another cup of tea (tea has been VERY helpful with clearing up my sinuses) and go do at least most of Monday's readings... And hopefully get through at least most of Wednesday's work too... And maybe start on the paper I have due NEXT Friday...

On the lighter side of things, I'm working on upgrading my laptop. Something's not quite lining up right with it so I keep having to experiment and take components in and out, which is taking forever, but at least I'm getting comfortable with the inside of my computer. It's actually kind of fun.

~Amber~

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Been seriously slacking. Lost all interest to write. Today I got back a critique, so I was hopeful that would reignite that desire, as critiques usually do that for me, but it didn't work this time. The comments were interesting and insightful, but was just like an "Oh, that's nice" to me.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Happiness update:

Dropped off 3 bags of books/DVDs at the charity store: +5, short-term.

Played organ at the grandparents' place: +7 (because I was getting better at it), long-term score.

Binge-watching "Community": +6 (because it's an awesome show), medium-term time score.

Had yet another "How likely is it that I'll find a job soon" talk with the family: -5, medium-term.

So overall, things have been alright.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'll jump in again. I didn't quite meet my December writing goals, but that was because I switched to editing. I now have one of my NaNo books completely edited. I even wrote a query letter and synopsis for it last night, both of which I'm pretty happy with. I'm at a bit of a loss what to do with that project next, though. Normally I would have people I know in real life read the finished project and help me with final grammar and clarity edits, but the relationships in my life are so screwed up at this point that I don't even want to let them read the book. I have no interest in trying to enlist strangers as beta readers, so I guess I'll just start sending queries.

Anyway, since there's nothing left to do with that book, I'm turning my goals to two other novels, one with about 10k left to write and the other with 60k left to write. I'd love to finish both in January, but I'll settle for getting my 50,000 words written in what remains of the month. If I stay focused, I should have both finished by February at the latest, and then I guess it's more editing. Whee.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I found out that one of my coworkers is an aspiring author also. He keeps asking to read part of my manuscript; however, I'm too terrified to show it to anyone...not even my mom, lol.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Write 43,000 words to be divided between:
Rewrite of the first two chapters of Shyster & Shyster
Continuation of Bubbles first draft - 1,400 words added this month behind
Finish outline and start How to Cure a Lesbian Completed outline Done

Synopsis completed for Shyster & Shyster. Submitted to select agents/publishers. Wish me luck.

Self-publish two out of print stories:
Gremlins and Bladerdash
High Heels and Bloodsuckers

Update new blog weekly So far, so good
Finish beta read finished current two chapters And initial review of synopsis
Read and review Escape from Witchwood Hollow by Jordan Elizabeth Mierek Finished
Set up a Good Reads accountfinished

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Closed my show last night and today I was so tired I did - nuffin'. The status is still officially quo.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Got a critique. Frankly, it left me feeling insulted. I've got a pretty thick skin and I don't mind when someone isn't a fan of something, but this I felt was an insult to me as a writer in general, even though I'm sure this person didn't intend for it to be received that way. So now I'm struggling even more to want to write.

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Got a critique. Frankly, it left me feeling insulted. I've got a pretty thick skin and I don't mind when someone isn't a fan of something, but this I felt was an insult to me as a writer in general, even though I'm sure this person didn't intend for it to be received that way. So now I'm struggling even more to want to write.

That happens. Keep telling yourself two things. One, it is hard to read intent over the internet. You can't read body language and inflection. Two, some people have to cut others down to feel better about themselves. They may not even realize they are doing it because the behavior is so ingrained in their world that it seems normal.

If you can't shake it off, send the offending party a PM and discuss it. If nothing else, you may feel better standing up for yourself.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
That happens. Keep telling yourself two things. One, it is hard to read intent over the internet. You can't read body language and inflection. Two, some people have to cut others down to feel better about themselves. They may not even realize they are doing it because the behavior is so ingrained in their world that it seems normal.

If you can't shake it off, send the offending party a PM and discuss it. If nothing else, you may feel better standing up for yourself.
I just realized why I felt insulted, even though the comments were helpful and there were positive remarks: despite that, it had felt condescending.

The critique is done, so I'm just not going to bother with this person anymore. It was a hassle to begin with. This person wasn't very reliable.

But thank you for the reminders. It's helpful to keep in mind. :)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
My writing is moving right along now that I don't have editing distracting me, though I do keep getting side-tracked by shiny new ideas. But that's pretty much normal for me. Unless I'm a real slacker, I'll have no excuse for not making my 50k words or more.