The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Alas, no more noqs action for me. At least I wasn't blanked out. On to NaNo and the BD waiting.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
well wow. something ... astonishing has occurred. I've been banging on about Nano for the last few weeks and I flippantly asked the husband if he'd like to take part too - mostly because I knew I'd be ignoring him the entire month writing.

Tonight, he asked me to sit down with him and soundboard his ideas. Wow. he's doing nano with me. I can't actually believe this! He reads a lot but has never ever taken an interest in writing. He's currently sat next to me scribbling away ideas in a notebook.

mind = blown.

the worst part? His idea (that took him precisely two hours to come up with pretty much from start to finish!) is actually bloody brilliant. If he gets an agent before me I think divorce is on the cards.

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
I did WAY better in NoQS than I expected. My mentor didn't offer huge edits, but I think the way she inspired me to tweak my query made it a LOT better. Super glad I entered. But you know what sending out pages means...more rejections to await!

And based on Querytracker data, I'm due for around 4-5 query rejections soon. Does anyone else with a premium membership notice that agents always seem to steadily respond to all the queries RIGHT before yours, but stop as soon as they get to yours...and not respond to anyone for weeks and weeks? I've had this going on with like 3 queries for weeks now.

Hathor, I totally agree about the subjectivity in the contest. I think another thing to consider is that some of the entries with few requests are a bit "played out" and have been in lots of contests already. I definitely recognized a couple that I saw in contests months and months ago. They may have only entered the contest hoping for the attention of just one or two of the agents (plus, the agents that do contests are a pretty constant pool, so if you enter enough, it'd be pretty easy to burn through them all). Good luck with BD! That looks like it'll be awesome.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
And based on Querytracker data, I'm due for around 4-5 query rejections soon. Does anyone else with a premium membership notice that agents always seem to steadily respond to all the queries RIGHT before yours, but stop as soon as they get to yours...and not respond to anyone for weeks and weeks? I've had this going on with like 3 queries for weeks now.

Yeah, I get that all the time. Almost too much data available with the Data Explorer... almost.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
the worst part? His idea (that took him precisely two hours to come up with pretty much from start to finish!) is actually bloody brilliant. If he gets an agent before me I think divorce is on the cards.

And no writer will ever blame you.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Spousal rep! In academia, if one partner gets a tenure-line job, that person can negotiate to get the other person a job. It should work that way in agent-land, right? :)

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Er, Precious isn't over-exposed, first contest (where made the cut) and a score of queries. Sigh.

My hubs is saying he can come up with SF stories and I can write them. Oh, I can see how that would go :tongue

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Halloween everyone!

I'm currently dressed up as a more successful version of my myself. In my costume, I have a 7 figure book deal. :D

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Halloween everyone!

I'm currently dressed up as a more successful version of my myself. In my costume, I have a 7 figure book deal. :D

Best. Costume. Ever. ;)

I love you, guys!

Happy Halloween!

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Reformation Day & Happy Halloween & Happy Friday & Happy NaNoWriMo Eve!
pumpkin.gif

Hathor - Yup, kind of bummed about how NoQS went as well. Hardly any of the Adult entries got any requests.

Lonegungrrly - That is pretty awesome that your husband's going to do NaNo with you. I'd ask my husband, but hey, someone has to watch the kiddos through November. ;)

Maramoser - WOO! You sure did do great in NoQS! Congrats!

Antonin - That sounds like a great costume. They say to dress for the job you want!

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Surely agents have dealt with enough email issues themselves to realize that email formatting is a tricky thing, and they won't mind simplicity. And if they do, they should request a full and read from a document instead of email. :D

Yes! I like your solution. :yesway:

well wow. something ... astonishing has occurred. I've been banging on about Nano for the last few weeks and I flippantly asked the husband if he'd like to take part too - mostly because I knew I'd be ignoring him the entire month writing.

Tonight, he asked me to sit down with him and soundboard his ideas. Wow. he's doing nano with me. I can't actually believe this! He reads a lot but has never ever taken an interest in writing. He's currently sat next to me scribbling away ideas in a notebook.

mind = blown.

This is cute. Keep us updated on how it goes!

I did WAY better in NoQS than I expected.

Congrats! :banana: :hooray: :banana:

Happy Halloween, everyone! Looks like my kids will have trick-or-treating in the wind and rain. Oh bother.

:e2BIC: I am so ready for November!!! :e2BIC:

I may not be doing Nanowrimo but I sure as heck am getting back into my WIP! It's still shiny and exciting and full of potential. Unlike my first manuscript. :deadhorse

Last edited:

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first instant rejection! Well, I say instant. It was about a couple of hours. That still counts, right?

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy NaNoWriMo, everyone!

I've got my first 2.6k done, and trying not to worry too much about how exposition-heavy my opening scene is. Nope. Not even thinking about it.

How's everyone else doing?

Shandylous

Registered
Reaction score

I've got my first 2.6k done, and trying not to worry too much about how exposition-heavy my opening scene is. Nope. Not even thinking about it.

Yay! Good start! :)

I got a solid two hours of revising done at a coffee shop this morning while hubby took the toddler.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Hathor - Yup, kind of bummed about how NoQS went as well. Hardly any of the Adult entries got any requests.

Yeah, poor, poor Adult. Very few agents in NoQS wanted it. And two of them I queried before the agent list was released. Oh well, got an unexpected ninja request and a spiffed up query and first page, plus a number of new writing friends. Onward.

Got my first instant rejection! Well, I say instant. It was about a couple of hours. That still counts, right?

Sure. But wait until you get one in a matter of minutes :tongue

You still get a hug :Hug2:

You beat me. I did one chapter, 2.4k worth. I need to do some thinking about how to flesh out the next chapter. My notes for that read, in full, "Establish what a bitch Isis is."

I did wake up at 3 in the morning with my muse yakking away. So I spent all morning writing up notes about what she said. I have a sort-of outline now. But knowing me, I'll change things in the process of writing.

Beyond that, I sprained my ankle Thursday night because the stupid thing is wonky. I've lost track how many times it's just collapsed and twisted on me. The silver lining is that I can't cook, clean, do laundry, or any of the rest. It's not hurting if I stay off it. More time to get started on NaNo, right?

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
The Adult-ers seem to have made out pretty well in Query Kombat, cause I've seen some success stories, but yeah, whatever Adult agents they had in that contest obviously did not make it to this one. Plus there weren't that many agents for this contest to begin with. The small-ness could be both a blessing and a curse.

Kosechi, for my first query for this MS, I purposely sent it to a notoriously fast agent, just so I could get the first rejection over with--and sure enough, it came in a couple hours!

I'm supposed to be doing NaNoWriMo, but I'm not that jazzed about my story and I haven't started yet. :Shrug: I want to write another story, but I don't have a solid idea for this other story yet and I'll need a few days to plan. But I feel like I'm on the brink of getting an idea...either way, I'm not going to write any tonight, because it's Adult Halloween Celebrations, so I'm already behind on the first day. Whoo!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Too bad I had a stinky query for QK. Oh well, as long as I'm learning...:Shrug:

Still haven't thought of too many bitchy things to insert into Chapter 2. I think I need to do something else. If I try too hard, the ideas don't come as well.

Lonegungrrly

Registered
Reaction score
You beat me. I did one chapter, 2.4k worth. I need to do some thinking about how to flesh out the next chapter. My notes for that read, in full, "Establish what a bitch Isis is."

Oh yes. that is exactly my kind of planning. I sort of word-vomit into a book, full of stupid brain-farts, and only I can make sense of it all... and a few months later, even I can't make sense of it all! it's a fun souvenir though. I leave little warnings for myself. most recently: WARNING! alcohol fuelled planning, follow with extreme caution!

My Nano has had a bit of a false start. I've wrote the first page but had other pressing obligations. However I'm off mon,tue,wed so I intend to catch up :)

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see I wrote 2K today, in fits and starts. Felt more like 1K. I'm trying just to write and let my subconscious take over, and apparently that gets the words down.

Status
Not open for further replies.