All Things Middle Grade

Triphi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm currently working on a time travel adventure with a thirteen year old protagonist, so I'm pretty sure that's solidly middle grade. I'm enjoying it, although I've got some POV and voice issues at the moment (just started a thread here if you feel like weighing in!).

Y'all seem like a fun group :)

:fistpump

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Triphi!

Dang, look at all the action in middle grade! I didn't realize we were so happening.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the only action that matters is in the middle!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, timp, you always has the best links. That one's a HOT link, no?

DavidBrett, welcome and you sound like one of those kids who drove teachers crazy with your wild ideas. Am I right?

quietfire: yes, short chapters are better than long for MG. And I think for the rhythm of the book, it usually works best for the chapters to be all in a range, none too much longer than the others. That's one of the things I tweak a lot during revisions.

And now, your cute kinder story for the day:
Overheard during today's art lesson:
Dora the Explorer? I HATE Dora! She's my enemy. No, she's my nemesis!!!

(it sounded even better in real life, 'cause the speaker still doesn't pronounce her Rs, so it's more like Dowa? I hate Dowa!)

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, timp, you always has the best links. That one's a HOT link, no?

timp's our class clown. :D

And now, your cute kinder story for the day:
Overheard during today's art lesson:
Dora the Explorer? I HATE Dora! She's my enemy. No, she's my nemesis!!!

(it sounded even better in real life, 'cause the speaker still doesn't pronounce her Rs, so it's more like Dowa? I hate Dowa!)

I hate Dowa. :ROFL:

Yep, that's cute.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Clare - I'm not sure why you would even be worried about your character and Twilight's both being Native Americans with a "B" last name. As long as your character isn't a werewolf or a person who changes into an actual wolf (Jacob Black wasn't technically a werewolf) I really wouldn't worry. Maybe not even then. They aren't even the same age group. Twilight is YA. I wouldn't worry about it at all! One of my MC's is named Jack, he's Native American and he is a werwolf. I created him before I had ever heard of Twilight. I'm not going to change him unless I have to in order to get published.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Just saying g'day. I just started my first MG novel. Almost all my writing has been screenplays, and not really kid friendly. But all my novel ideas are for kids books, so I figured I'd go for it. :)

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, PrincessofPersia! :)

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just saying g'day. I just started my first MG novel. Almost all my writing has been screenplays, and not really kid friendly. But all my novel ideas are for kids books, so I figured I'd go for it. :)

:welcome:

Ally Carter, a best-selling YA author, started out writing screenplays, too. She's a master plotter, in my opinion, and I suspect it's because she started with screenplays. She has a great website, with a very useful section for writers.

Ivan_B

of Rassilon
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Hey all sorts of new people!
Sorry I'm not around so much - not only am I a terrible lurker but I also suffer from an 'is this worth saying?' attitude, which is rather harmful to my post count.

So...how's everyone doing? I'm completely stuck this afternoon, so I baked a cake. It didn't help, but at least I have a cake now. The life of a writer, eh?
Anyway...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not around so much - not only am I a terrible lurker but I also suffer from an 'is this worth saying?' attitude, which is rather harmful to my post count.

So...how's everyone doing? I'm completely stuck this afternoon, so I baked a cake. It didn't help, but at least I have a cake now. The life of a writer, eh?
Anyway...

You'd better get over that is-this-worth-saying attitude, buster. We want to hear what you have to say!

:D

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE YOUR NEW AVI, IVAN! :)

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm currently working on a time travel adventure with a thirteen year old protagonist, so I'm pretty sure that's solidly middle grade. I'm enjoying it, although I've got some POV and voice issues at the moment (just started a thread here if you feel like weighing in!).

Y'all seem like a fun group :)

:fistpump
:hi: Triphi, welcome to the kidlit gang.
And another hi to PrincessofPersia :hi:

Anyway...
Hey Ivan, you gotta get over that lurker and 'is this worth saying' attitude, dude. We wanna hear from you, lots and lots. I expect 300 posts before Saturday :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm completely stuck this afternoon, so I baked a cake. It didn't help, but at least I have a cake now.

:ROFL:

Great attitude Ivan. I got stuck a couple of days ago. I went outside and there were a couple of ducks in my front yard, so I threw some bread at them. Now I have ducks.

Seriously. They won't leave.

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I am new here as well and suffer from the same feelings as Ivan. I've asked a few simple questions in other threads that my overworked brain couldn't quite sort out at the moment and have been thrilled to get such a speedy responses. So here's my question now. My MG piece is straightforward contemporary set mostly in a school. When I look at agents sites, most seem to prefer fantasy, sci fi, dystopian, etc. Do you think this is a disadvantage? Thanks.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. I am new here as well and suffer from the same feelings as Ivan. I've asked a few simple questions in other threads that my overworked brain couldn't quite sort out at the moment and have been thrilled to get such a speedy responses. So here's my question now. My MG piece is straightforward contemporary set mostly in a school. When I look at agents sites, most seem to prefer fantasy, sci fi, dystopian, etc. Do you think this is a disadvantage? Thanks.

:welcome:

And there's a huge market for contemporary MG, as long as it's fresh and entertaining. Contemporary is by far my favorite - to read and to write!

Glad you've come out of hiding. I hope more lurkers come out of the woodwork! ;)

timp67

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, DSA! :)

Oh, and Ivan? When I get stuck, I don't BAKE a cake. I EAT one.

clare

Registered
Reaction score
Clare - I'm not sure why you would even be worried about your character and Twilight's both being Native Americans with a "B" last name. As long as your character isn't a werewolf or a person who changes into an actual wolf (Jacob Black wasn't technically a werewolf) I really wouldn't worry. Maybe not even then. They aren't even the same age group. Twilight is YA. I wouldn't worry about it at all! One of my MC's is named Jack, he's Native American and he is a werwolf. I created him before I had ever heard of Twilight. I'm not going to change him unless I have to in order to get published.

Thanks, jtrylch. I just changed Jacob's last name from "Benally" to "Tsosie". I feel a little better about it, thanks to everybody's input and encouragement.

And, welcoome Triphi, Princess, and DSA. I'm new here too, and it has been great for me to connect with other writers--my friends and family can only take so much "shop talk". :Sun:

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Hiya, DSA, welcome to the Writing for Kids forum. Glad you decided to stop that lurking thing, it's always more fun to take part. Smish is right, as she normally is, being wise and almighty, that there is a huge market for contempory middle grade. Write something well, with a great story, then it will find a home.

DSA

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks jvc and Smish. That's really reassuring. I was feeling so out of touch.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
DSA - I'd probably be more helpful if I knew exactly what contemporary meant *is not as up-to-date on the writery jargon as he should be* but I'd suffice to say that stories in schools are still popular if original and pitched right. So give it a shot!

DavidBrett, welcome and you sound like one of those kids who drove teachers crazy with your wild ideas. Am I right?

Oh, like you would not believe, Jud! They ranged from 'Monkey Star Wars' to 'Boy Spy with talking car and pacifist gun' to 'Modern-day Hansel and Gretel, set in Central Park'!

The latter was my GCSE Creative Writing short story - I got an A* :D

And Ivan, you posting right this minute, young man!* If it weren't for you I would never have known about this forum and all of its wonderful people, so you try and stay active, y'hear? Young whippersnapper...**

EDIT - Prologue of PSI is up for critical damage! Link in siggy...

* - I can say this because I'm actually older than him.
** - The above statement still holds true.

Last edited: