MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Sorry, mware, it's been done before:

http://www.dangerousbookforboys.com/

Not only does it include stuff like tying a tie and sewing a button, but it also has how-to info on building tree forts and go-karts and skinning rabbits and shooting guns and everything boys used to know how to do 30+ years ago. So, of course, I bought it for my son. ;)

Thought of a couple more:

How to Survive a Car Accident
How to Survive on $10
How to Survive a Head Injury
How to Survive a Broken Heart
How to Survive the Death of a Pet
How to Survive a House Fire

Gee, I think Scholastic should pay me for this. ;)

Rue

Hey, I had the idea before that one came out, I just didn't actually write it. And I didn't have nearly as good of a title.

Oh well, I'm still calling it my idea!

As for sowing, I knew it didn't looks right--I almost spell checked it--but I was like, hey I can spell sowing! I'm the product of public education's experiment with phonics.

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They also have those "Worst Case Scenario" books for kids now*, and they managed it. There's a "junior" edition and a "Middle School Edition" about friends, drama, and middle school trauma. It has a boy and a girl on the cover (imagine! boys have problems in their social lives too!). The adventures are in the "Extreme" edition. Heck, they even have a boy and girl on the cover of the "gross" edition, and the majority of girls would not be caught dead reading a book about boogers and barf.

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
When I do school visits the most popular parts of my talk are the anecdotes about growing up in rural Spain in the 70's. Motorbikes (no license or helmet), air rifles, camping trips, you name it.

I know when the talk is going well because the teachers at the back have their heads buried in their hands...

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
How To Survive a Day of Cleaning the House :p

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I missed the whole controversy! Just as I was getting riled up, the whole thing was already resolved...

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
There's already one for a zombie apocalypse, too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400049628/?tag=absowrit-20

But put me down for the "How to Survive Paranormal Activity" - I could use what I'm learning from my WIP to write that.

Here's a few more...

How to Survive an Alien Invasion
How to Survive a Machine Uprising
How to Deal With the Molemen

maracalone

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have some recommendations for darker (minus paranormal/fantasy) MG reads? I've read What Jaime Saw, Because of Mr. Terupt, and Milo... Would love to have some more dark MG to read!

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Tangerine by Edward Bloor and Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac were pretty dark. Also A Child Called "IT" by Dave Pelzer and The Lottery Rose by Irene Hunt.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
There was one book I remember reading that was a far cry from the happy-go-lucky children's books on the shelves next to it. When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit, I think it was called...?

timp67

Guinea pig in the laboratory of God
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone! THE BOY WHO HOWLED escapes into the world in paperback today. Thanks to all the MG lovers here who have given it so much support. Awooo!

171464205.jpg

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
What GREAT news, Timothy. I think this calls for a major celebration. Can you take us somewhere special where you can relax after all that mind-numbing work?

I'm already packed.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Hello there! I'm new to the MG scene ( I write YA but have an idea for a MG I'd love to write!). I just thought I'd jump in and say hi!

P.s. I haven't read a ton of MG other than some classics and I know I need to in order to write it. Would anyone be so gracious as to suggest a few books to me? I love fantasy though my idea doesn't actually have any fantasy elements (as of yet), it's kind of a dystopian I guess. A little darker, a little adventurous.

P.s. I saw the suggestions a few posts above. I'll look into those. How about books that any MG writer HAS to read (books that have made the genre (would you call it a genre?) what it is.) THANKS!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
For dystopian MG, The City of Ember is probably the most recent best-selling series.

Don't forget to check out the kidlit thread we already have started: Talk About the Kidlit You're Reading!

More books there than I can possibly catch up on. *sigh* But I'm trying!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Wasn't sure where to put this and I didn't want to spam by starting a new thread, so I figured this is a "thing" that is Middle Grade.

Saw on Twitter yesterday that Harper Children's has made 10 great MG titles in e-book available for $1.99 until July 1. Super way to catch up on either comp title reading, or just to add to your general MG library. I just obliterated the gift card that I had attached to my nook. BEEZUS AND RAMONA, IDA B, the first Septimus Heap book, and many others.

Here's the link: http://harpercollinschildrens.com/feature/middle-grade-ebooks/

Enjoy!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this and I didn't want to spam by starting a new thread, so I figured this is a "thing" that is Middle Grade.

Saw on Twitter yesterday that Harper Children's has made 10 great MG titles in e-book available for $1.99 until July 1. Super way to catch up on either comp title reading, or just to add to your general MG library. I just obliterated the gift card that I had attached to my nook. BEEZUS AND RAMONA, IDA B, the first Septimus Heap book, and many others.

Here's the link: http://harpercollinschildrens.com/feature/middle-grade-ebooks/

Enjoy!

I had my sister down last weekend, and she was complaining that she just bought her kids eReaders but there aren't any titles available (compared to the YA/adult market) as eBooks. So has there been a pick up in available eBooks in MG, or is it still way behind?

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
I believe it's still way behind, but it's picking up substantially. I work PT at Barnes and Noble, mostly in the nook department, and this summer we're giving away collections of MG, YA, and picture books with the purchase of new tablets.

I actually sold two devices the other day to a mom who came in to get summer reading for her middle-grade readers, and we were able to find all but one of about fifteen books available in electronic editions. Since it wound up saving her about $35 on the cost of the books themselves, she bought nooks for them instead.

So yes, it is my impression as an e-bookseller that the availability of MG ebooks is growing exponentially.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
... I work PT at Barnes and Noble, mostly in the nook department, and this summer we're giving away collections of MG, YA, and picture books with the purchase of new tablets.

Is that deal company wide or just in your store?

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I had my sister down last weekend, and she was complaining that she just bought her kids eReaders but there aren't any titles available (compared to the YA/adult market) as eBooks. So has there been a pick up in available eBooks in MG, or is it still way behind?

I think there's a ton available. Here's a short list of some of what I've read in just the last couple months (and these were for Kindle through the library):

the Emma Jean Lazarus Books
Cinderella Smith
Storybound
Above World
Wonder
Sugar & Ice
The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z
The Mapmaker and the Ghost
The Book of Wonders
Breadcrumbs
Okay for Now
The Winnie Years books by Lauren Myracle

And I haven't read them recently, but know the Percy Jackson, Magic Treehouse and Harry Potter books are all available, too.