All Things Middle Grade

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Easy middle grade question: Would MG kids say ticked--or more realistically would they say pissed, but (self-censor) change it to ticked?

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Mike - I, personally, would censor it to ticked. But that may just be me and others would advise pissed.

I recall in the movie, ParaNorman, when the chubby kid said, "that tree just pissed at us." My son thought that was hilarious, even though he meant pssstt!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I'd use ticked. But it depends on your character, and if it sounds authentic.

I have read pissed occasionally in mg, but personally, don't like it.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Rereading my post, I see that I didn't explain myself very well.

I don't want to use 'pissed,' but I wounder if 'ticked' is a good substitute? Is it something a kid might say?

I just don't want the dialog to sound unrealistic, like it was written by a middle-aged white guy who is trying to sound hip ;-)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IME a kid is more likely to say "I was so mad" or "I got so mad".

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
IME a kid is more likely to say "I was so mad" or "I got so mad".

Yeah, I agree. I think there was a time when "ticked" would have worked, but I haven't heard a kid say that in a long time. I've heard "choked." "I'm so choked right now." But I think sometimes it's safer to go with something timeless, like "mad" rather than something that might be the word of the week.

Anecdote: My nephew was reading a book the last time I was visiting, and sort of chuckled and shook his head. I asked about it, and he said, "The kid in this book keeps saying everything is "epic" and that was so three years ago. No one says "epic" anymore."

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! All the kids I teach say "epic" ALLLL the time (and "fail". And "yolo"). One kid even has a song that goes "I am epic! I am epic!" for like five minutes straight. Meanwhile I had to explain to the teachers this morning what a "meme" was and why elementary school children oughtn't be googling them during school.

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that ticked is over. But if epic is gone, then, man, my whole world is collapsing! I mean, that's a pretty fast turnaround...

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I was pleased to hear that "epic" was on the way out. I distinctly remember 5 years ago when I first heard a kid say it half a dozen times in the course of a couple sentences. I believe his bike, skateboard, Wii game, and subway sandwich were all "epic."

"Yolo" is everywhere now and it's starting to grate. "Hey, let's go to the beach, 'cus, yanno, YOLO!"

I'm just shaking my head. But I have to admit that the Lonely Island music video on youtube ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c .... that YOLO song is freaking EPIC!

Britwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I still hear epic a lot. Also, cosmic. And sick. And sweet.

For writing middle grade, I think if you intersperse some of them and don't use any to the exclusion of all others, it's fine. But cool seems to be the ongoing expression, so plenty of 'cools' are good.

It's interesting the nuances of meaning though. Sick is great, but it doesn't always work the same way as epic.

The one I totally love is epic fail. It makes me laugh every time.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does yolo mean? I haven't heard that one. None of the kids I'm around are saying that, yet.

Geez, I feel old having to ask what something means. This just confirms what one of my juvenile clients said to me the other day. "You're really cool. You know. For someone that's like thirty.":e2bummed:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've heard "you only live once." :e2tongue: But do they say it like yo-lo?

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Very true, Mike. And I'm actually 31, so I should take it as a compliment, right? :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've heard "you only live once." :e2tongue: But do they say it like yo-lo?

I don't know, my kids don't say it. I just remember hearing something about someone who was trying to copyright the phrase, and people were like, whoa, you can't do that.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, thanks, Sheila. Since you don't know how they say it, either, I don't feel nearly as lame. :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! That sounds like a timely topic for me. Will definitely check it out. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Yo-Lo. It's videogamer talk. You charge into battle shout-typing YOLO!

Except that now everybody's doing it, so if you do it, you look like a douchebag. Cool gamers no longer use the phrase.

But of course now dumb kids are doing it in real life. Riding their skateboard off the roof into the swimming pool, shouting Yolo! Apparently not understanding that, unlike in video games, IRL the phrase is true. Hence the Lonely Island song and its ironic reminder that Life is Dangerous.

back to Mware's question--I haven't heard a kid say "ticked" or "ticked off" in quite a while. Most of them say pissed off, without self-editing. It's like sucked. They don't get the other possible meaning/reference, so they don't know they should avoid the phrase.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Just quoting my kid. The online world is apparently full of trolls and douchebags.