All Things Middle Grade

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kate. I've been writing a MG fantasy for the past year, hope to be finished with the first draft next month (just crossed the 33k word threshold!). Then I will try to see if I can keep my hands off it for a month or so before going back to see what I've done. I appreciate all of you for all the information I've already gotten from this board. So thanks!
Kate

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I usually write scripts (and occasionally post in that part of AW) but am now leaping into writing and illustrating a MG book. Having a lot of fun doing it, and as I've got my own 12 yr old critic at home I'm involving her in the process, too. I'm at 5,000 words at the moment and have a few illustrations to go with the story.

Anyway, just thought I'd stop by and introduce myself as I'll probably need to pick some more experienced brains on here at some point!

Last edited:

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Stylo. I've been out of the children's loop for quite some time, but there are plenty of people here with tons of knowledge to share. So stick around, learn, have some fun.

Stylo

wall gazer extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcomes! I've posted a link to a competition in the contest thread so check it out if you're still unrepresented

praktikle1

Registered
Reaction score
Almost There

I think I'm almost done with my MGF. I'm on my 6th edit but my 16 year old son and I are the only ones who have seen it. I wrote, edited and illustrated it myself. I'm just trying to get the ending to where I want it to be. I put my 4 yr novel aside and did this on a whim and now I've been hooked for about 6 months. Why can't I reach the final stage.......I want to try it on Kindle. It is the least expensive and fastest way to get it out there. Any recommendations or opinions on this.
Thanks
Greg

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Hi,

As a long time lurker and aspiring MG writer, I wanted to say hello! This is a wonderful thread.

Greg, I'm not sure I can help much with your question, other than say just don't give up on that elusive ending.

For what it's worth, an illustrated novel sounds interesting, and I'm certain I've seen some posts from agents who are looking for just that type of thing, so you might want to check around. (If I can remember who or where, I'll let you and Stylo know!)

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think I'm almost done with my MGF. I'm on my 6th edit but my 16 year old son and I are the only ones who have seen it. I wrote, edited and illustrated it myself. I'm just trying to get the ending to where I want it to be. I put my 4 yr novel aside and did this on a whim and now I've been hooked for about 6 months. Why can't I reach the final stage.......I want to try it on Kindle. It is the least expensive and fastest way to get it out there. Any recommendations or opinions on this.
Thanks
Greg

Just wanted to point out that the least expensive way to publish is by submitting it to an agent and then publisher. It's free then--you might have to pay postage, but that'll be it.

Self publishing CAN be faster, but it's not cheap, unless you just toss it out there without paying for covers/edits/formatting... etc.

The titles in my signature are self published. I think it's great that the option exists. I don't regret my decision, and in fact, plan to release more. But I think you should take that step, very, very carefully.

Now that said, once you have everything ready for uploading, you just go to Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and upload. If you want print, Createspace and Lightening Source are the two most widely used by the self published author. Createspace is easier, and quicker (since LS requires you to set up accounts).

Whatever your decision, I wish you good luck!

praktikle1

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that the least expensive way to publish is by submitting it to an agent and then publisher. It's free then--you might have to pay postage, but that'll be it.

Self publishing CAN be faster, but it's not cheap, unless you just toss it out there without paying for covers/edits/formatting... etc.

The titles in my signature are self published. I think it's great that the option exists. I don't regret my decision, and in fact, plan to release more. But I think you should take that step, very, very carefully.

Now that said, once you have everything ready for uploading, you just go to Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and upload. If you want print, Createspace and Lightening Source are the two most widely used by the self published author. Createspace is easier, and quicker (since LS requires you to set up accounts).

Whatever your decision, I wish you good luck!

How do I find a good honest agent??

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
How do I find a good honest agent??

Well, sir, it's all about research. The good ones are easy to spot b/c they're the ones selling manuscripts to major presses. As far as their honesty goes, you'll have to rely on reputation and word of mouth. Dishonest agents don't tend to last, so aim for those agents with stellar reputations who have been in business for awhile. Doesn't mean new agents are bad, they can be excellent. But you don't have the history to rely on.

You can find books that are like yours in bookstores, and find out who represents those authors, and then submit to those agents.

Also, There are heaps of threads here on AW, as well as Agentquery.com and Querytracker.com and publishers marketplace.

Research the agents you want to submit to. Read their blogs, and interviews.

It's a lot of work, but you need to do it. A bad agent is WORSE than no agent. Make sure you remember that, b/c it's true.

Good luck!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com

Your novels looks GREAT! They're MG correct? Hope you don't mind me asking, how is that going for you? I have this notion that self-publishing anything younger than YA is next to impossible to do successfully (though I have seen at least one fairly successful SP-MG but she started out with a YA vampire book so she had an audience already). Most of self-publishing sales are ebooks, and how many kids read ebooks? That's my fear, I guess.

And please don't think I'm criticizing. I'm not anti self-publishing in any way. In fact, I think it's shocking how many people are still so against it.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Your novels looks GREAT! They're MG correct? Hope you don't mind me asking, how is that going for you? I have this notion that self-publishing anything younger than YA is next to impossible to do successfully (though I have seen at least one fairly successful SP-MG but she started out with a YA vampire book so she had an audience already). Most of self-publishing sales are ebooks, and how many kids read ebooks? That's my fear, I guess.

And please don't think I'm criticizing. I'm not anti self-publishing in any way. In fact, I think it's shocking how many people are still so against it.

Oh I don't think you're criticizing at all, and thank you for the kind words about the covers. I owe the designer a huge shout-out (http://pintado.weebly.com/).

I consider the books MG/YA crossovers - or more specifically, geared for the 10+ audience. If they were shelved in stores/libraries they'd go in the MG section along with Mark Walden's H.I.V.E series, or Chris Bradford's Young Samurai series (not that I'm suggesting my books are as good as those, just geared for the same 10+ audience).

I was actually really hesitant to go down the SP road with this series, but there were some extenuating circumstances that prodded me that way. Still, it was well over a year of considering, and researching before I jumped and it was with the support of my agent who has been very helpful with the process.

On the 12th of next month it will be 4 months since I released book 1 (I am reading the proof copy of book 2 right now so it's only days away from being released). I just cracked 400 sales last week, so sales aren't all that noteworthy. About 70% of those sales were print, which was very surprising to me.

I am happy to answer questions or talk about my (very limited) experience so far.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Thanks for your answers. So you only have one book out right now?I don't know much about SP sales numbers but from what I hear they grow slowly. It takes a while to gain the audience. 4 months is still early for SP and it grows with each book you put out. I wonder if your physical book sales are because of the audience.

But yeah, I'm in the planning stages of starting a group blog for MG and I think you'd make a great interview if you're intetested. Might be a bit away (september maybe?) but if you want feel free to PM me your email and I'll keep you updated on it.

sussu

Registered
Reaction score
Buddies for MG

I have finished my first MG fantasy.
I have been working on it forever!

I am looking for people to read it, but I find mostly people writing YA novels. That's frustrating. There are not so many writers doing MG.
So, if anyone wants to give a try or swap manuscripts, become buddies, I'm game.

Thanks

leela_e

Registered
Reaction score
Hey don't be sad. Why dont you write some YA novels. Just my two cents :)

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
I have finished my first MG fantasy.
I have been working on it forever!

I am looking for people to read it, but I find mostly people writing YA novels. That's frustrating. There are not so many writers doing MG.
So, if anyone wants to give a try or swap manuscripts, become buddies, I'm game.

Thanks

FWIW my CP writes YA and I write MG (OMG look at all the abbreviations I got into that sentence!) Anyway, she's still an excellent critique partner.

Having a buddy who isn't MG is okay. You and she/he could still swap, still give each other help, and that's what really matters. Good luck!

Last edited:

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
My writer friend is published in Erotic Romance, and has been my mentor from the start. She reads my work, does line edits, we talk for hours. We don't trade because she has other CPs and is miles ahead of me skill wise. And what she writes, makes me giggle.

I write MG she writes ER. Another person helping me writes horror. Good writing is good writing. They can't tell me genre specific things, but they are both published and know their stuff.

Last edited: