The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
Joy, congratulations on the awesome conversation with the agent! It sounds like things are starting to come through for you.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

We should start calling you "Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great." :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Awww, thanks. :D

You know, when I was a kid I was such a reluctant reader. It seemed like everything I read ended up with a beloved pet dying, and that just bummed me no end. So I hated reading. I couldn't even be tempted by Judy Blume's book with that title. It's embarrassing.

Fortunately I've caught up on my reading in my old age.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They'd call that delayed gratification, right? Hey! Maybe you didn't eat that marshmallow. :D

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
It seemed like everything I read ended up with a beloved pet dying, and that just bummed me no end.

Oh no! That's so depressing!

And Joy, congrats! Somewhere on some blog or something, I read a bit of FRAMED from an article on chicken house entries, and it was Fan-frickin-tastic :) fingers crossed for you.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Thanks, Summer. That's really sweet. I'm having fun revisiting it. I had gotten a ton of agent requests, but then they'd mostly come back as no's and I'd given up on it. Chicken House gave me new hope, but then when I didn't make the short list, I considered it trunked.

So it's sooo thrilling to be back at work on it with an amazing agent. I feel like I've been reunited with these long-lost characters who I love so much. Never give up!

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Hope you're all well. I had a question. After first rounds of beta readings, do you guys go for a second round after first beta revisions are done?

I asked because I got my first out of two beta feedbacks back and there were a couple minor fixable consistency issues and two major not-so-easily fixable ones. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the same issue will be brought up by the beta I'm waiting on, but I've corrected the minor issues and one big issue and only have one remaining issue left to tackle.

Provided that the other beta points out the same flaws and I correct them, is it necessary to go another beta round before querying? I made a new-year's resolution to start querying by May if possible, no big deal if I don't, but I wasn't sure if I should. The first beta's feedback was positive, not sure about the one I'm waiting on.

Thanks again.

P.S. It's just so hard to get betas. :(

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey guys. Hope you're all well. I had a question. After first rounds of beta readings, do you guys go for a second round after first beta revisions are done?

P.S. It's just so hard to get betas. :(

I definitely would, Daniela. You don't want to query too soon, and you want to be sure you've fixed the issues (and haven't inadvertently caused further issues to arise).

I know finding betas can be a pain, but have you tried Verla Kay's Blueboards? It's a message board devoted entirely to kidlit, and I have found readers there before. Also, check out www.cpseek.com. Also, when I googled "Critique partner match up" I found a bunch of links I don't personally have experience with, but could be worth checking out.

And just a reminder that I did say I'd read again but haven't heard back from you ... ;)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely would, Daniela. You don't want to query too soon, and you want to be sure you've fixed the issues (and haven't inadvertently caused further issues to arise).

I know finding betas can be a pain, but have you tried Verla Kay's Blueboards? It's a message board devoted entirely to kidlit, and I have found readers there before. Also, check out www.cpseek.com. Also, when I googled "Critique partner match up" I found a bunch of links I don't personally have experience with, but could be worth checking out.

And just a reminder that I did say I'd read again but haven't heard back from you ... ;)

I've registered for Verla before but never got a response for registration. I did precisely what they asked so I don't know what went wrong. Never bothered going back especially since I met such great people here already. I feel weird going to other places now, especially because I haven't interacted with those board members enough to warrant a mutual trust. I'll try reregistering to see what happens.

Have you tried cpseek before? Any good?

Oh, you're the first on my list. I just hope I can catch you before you get busy with your projects and those revisions you're doing for your future agent. ;) This whole waiting for feedback thing is excruciatingly slow. :gaah:

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Have you tried cpseek before? Any good?

This whole waiting for feedback thing is excruciatingly slow. :gah:

I haven't, because I'm pretty set for CP's, but it's run by Brenda Drake and the people from Pitch Madness who Dave and Nicola had such good experiences with. So I think it's probably good.

It can be slow - and it sounds like it's been especially slow for you - sorry about that. When you get reliable CP's who believe in your work and feel they have a stake in it, they usually get back to you within a week on a full manuscript (at least mine do). But betas who don't know you and your writing so well can be slow. You are working on something new while you wait, right?

Reading time doesn't occupy the same space as writing time for me, so don't worry about my revisions, etc. I'll squeeze you in whenever. :)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't, because I'm pretty set for CP's, but it's run by Brenda Drake and the people from Pitch Madness who Dave and Nicola had such good experiences with. So I think it's probably good.

It can be slow - and it sounds like it's been especially slow for you - sorry about that. When you get reliable CP's who believe in your work and feel they have a stake in it, they usually get back to you within a week on a full manuscript (at least mine do). But betas who don't know you and your writing so well can be slow. You are working on something new while you wait, right?

Reading time doesn't occupy the same space as writing time for me, so don't worry about my revisions, etc. I'll squeeze you in whenever. :)

All always, thanks Joy. I'll contact you when my beta gets back to me and I've made the necessary revisions. Granted, I'm working on a way to tweak chapters 1-3 to see if I can achieve that spark you were talking about, but I can't figure out how. :gaah: I need CP real bad. :( I've registerd for CPSeek. Let's see what happens. :D

CelesteBC

Registered
Reaction score
I know there is an actual Beta readers section, but I thought I'd chime in here and say that I would be happy to be part of your second round of Betas. I read your opening in SYW, but you had already moved into Beta phase so I didn't comment. I thought it looked like an interesting story though so I would be happy to read more.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Celeste. That's very kind of you. I should hope to have it ready for second round of betas by the end of the month or early next month. Ugh. The waiting is what gets to me. Like I've mentioned before, it's not the nerves part of what people think, it's my natural impatience for things. I live angry and impatient. Miami does that to you. LOL. Though I do think I've forced myself to take my time on this particular story for whatever reason. It's like I want it to be just right. But then again, doesn't everyone expect the same from their own work? I hope so. :D

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Joy, I've mostly lurked here, but just wanted to say congrats on your agent call. I know you've come very close, so I have my fingers crossed for you.

*waves at everybody else*

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
A quick note to Nicola, Daniella and Sheila - once my ribs let me suit over my laptop without them exploding, I'll get onto my side of the beta-stuff like a thing possessed!

It's probably all I'm good for right now, as current events have left me less than confident about EF, or any of my writing for that matter. I'm trying to write one or two new things right now, but sooner or later my thoughts stray to "Why bother?" and... Yeah :(

Guess I'll snap outta it sooner or later.

Dave

summerb

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, Daniela! Although, I think I'm going to do more extensive rewrites so I will definitely need a second round of Betas.

I'm super bummed because I really wanted to do Pitchwars, and I think I have a fairly strong opening, but (I think) I've resigned myself to wait. I don't want to burn bridges with any potential agents by putting it out there when it's not ready.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, Daniela! Although, I think I'm going to do more extensive rewrites so I will definitely need a second round of Betas.

I'm super bummed because I really wanted to do Pitchwars, and I think I have a fairly strong opening, but (I think) I've resigned myself to wait. I don't want to burn bridges with any potential agents by putting it out there when it's not ready.

That sucks. I wanted to join Pitch-Fest over at Writeoncon (which ends tonight) but TMG needs some rewrites (as you know, lol). Also, I just tried my hand at writing a query last month and although I kind of got the gist of it, I don't believe it's strong enough, especially since Pitch-Fest is a pitch under 200 words. :( Although I was tempted to send one for giggles to see what happens (maybe people could critique it if mine was randomly picked from the generator), but I thought, let me not make a fool out of myself. LOL. I might just post my Query over at Blue Board since they're all kidlit writers. However, I get the feeling that people over there might bit too nice and I might not receive the honest crits that I get here.

So yeah, missed that. Bummer, because I think that one of the prizes might be a mentor. Oh well. Maybe next time. Don't want to rush.

David. Don't give up. EF is a good story. I remember reading about an agent seeking specifically X-files types kidlit. I didn't mention it since its an agent in the U.S., but I could find out for you if you're up to it.

P.S. IF YOU GUYS ARE INTERESTED IN PTCHFEST, IT ENDS AT 8PM EST tonight in the states www.writeoncon.com. Also, QUERY QUAGMIRE is doing a First-Line Crit over at www.queryquagmire.tumblr.com. Submission ends tomorrow. So if you want to get your first three lines in for feedback from an editor, do it. There are no prizes, just peace of mind.

Last edited:

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Daniella, I'd love to learn about that agent. Unless it's Kelly Sonnack or Adriann Ranta, because I've already subbed to them solely because of their desire for X-Files-esque MG :D

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Daniella, I'd love to learn about that agent. Unless it's Kelly Sonnack or Adriann Ranta, because I've already subbed to them solely because of their desire for X-Files-esque MG :D

LMAO. It was Kelly Sonnack. :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How's everyone doing? Need hugs? :e2arms:

I'm working on plotting, at the moment. I'm really hoping I can keep truckin' and finish a book before moving on to the next.