First ever rejection on a full

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
First ever novel, first ever batch of submissions, first ever full request and first ever rejection on that full today... and my, my, doesn't it feel like a kick to the balls? I wasn't expecting it to feel like someone kicked me in my tummy a little!

A lovely rejection - well as lovely as they can be. Agent and her assistant read it. Loved the character, loved my voice and writing and "thoroughly enjoyed" the humour, but both found the romance between the main characters not quite as gripping as they wanted, but to not take it as a negative, as something like that is very subjective.

Feel a bit wobbly though!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get yourself to a retail outlet for Ben and Jerry's, right away. You have one day to indulge, pamper, and enjoy a little self-pity. Tomorrow, you're back in the saddle, writing and marketing.

Maryn, knowing how it hurts

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Wow, you got a full request on your first batch of submissions! That's fantastic, and a great response too. :D Congratulations! :Hug2: Heck of a start. Now that you've got all those firsts out of the way, you can work on finding an agent. :tongue (And what Maryn said. Big bowl of ice cream, indulgence, and moping, but only for today. Doctor's orders.)

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I even had a little cry and now just trying to get over the whole "I don't think I have a plot!" and "maybe I should re-write the whole thing!" self doubts!

mommygoth

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I so feel your pain. I got a request for full on my very first submission, only to have it rejected a week later. Hang in there. This stuff is not for the faint of heart.

lucyfilmmaker

patron saint of wine coolers and awkwardness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lucyfilmmaker.com
I always hate when people tell me to look on the bright side, but that really does sound like a lovely rejection (that's like saying a comfy punch in the face, I know...) to me! So much positive, definitely shows you've got something there and should keep trying :)

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
In my very limited experience, that does sound nice as far as rejections go! An R is an R, but it sounds like your ms has a lot going for it, even if the agent didn't connect with the romance.

Keep at it! I find wine is helpful. :)

Last edited:

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Chin up! :Hug2: At least the agent took the time to write you a personalized response! I know it still sucks it was a no, but it could be worse, trust me! If you got your first full request on your first query batch, you're obviously doing something right! :)

Now, head to the freezer and dive into that tub of Ben & Jerry's! That's an order!

Then start querying again. AND! Start writing something new. It might not make you feel better, but it will help you get your mind off things...)

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I agree, go have a cry, eat some ice cream and then take a nice, deep breath.

Do not give into those urges to rewrite. Take a day to recover then send out another query to the next one on your list.

Rejections are rotten, and at least this one sounds as good as a rejection can get... All of that nice feedback goes to show you do have something there. Keep that in mind, and yes, I'm looking at the silver lining. ;)

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all so much.

Half way through an ice cream tub and now eyeing a chocolate bar. Yay sugar overload!

Mommygoth - it SO isn't for the faint of heart. I thought I had a pretty thick skin, but turns out -- thin as cigarette paper!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, those close-call rejections are the hardest. I had no problems brushing off the form rejects, but the personalized "so close" ones had me running for the chocolate. Glad to hear you're all loaded up with sugar now!

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
Thanks for posting this - all the rejection has been harder to take than I anticipated. Like you, I thought I had this. But with each rejection letter I find myself second-guessing my query and even my manuscript.

Hope you're right back at it after the sugar overload!

>compass<

A little off kilter
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's been a couple of days, but I'd like to suggest holding onto that lovely R if you haven't gotten rid of it. If, heaven forbid, it comes to a point where there are many Rs or a lot of waiting around time it may be comforting or even validating to reread the praise that agent gave you :)

LeoniedeWesseldorf

Registered
Reaction score
bracing for it

I just sent off my first full and I hope there is an ice cream tub - or box of wine - big enough for me to deal with the likely rejection. I've barely started querying, but this person is my fantasy agent. I've even imagined possible responses, from five-page R&Rs to praise and regret in a long rejection email to that thrilling offer phone call. Not reasonable and not healthy. But the only time I don't obsess over what I'll hear from Dream Agent is when I go on a 5-mile run, blasting Styx. Will this get easier????

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
Reply to the R. Thank her and ask if she'd be willing to look at a revision or like to see future work.

Then, if you end up revising and the romance seems stronger, you can resend it to her.

:)

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
A lovely rejection - well as lovely as they can be. Agent and her assistant read it. Loved the character, loved my voice and writing and "thoroughly enjoyed" the humour, but both found the romance between the main characters not quite as gripping as they wanted, but to not take it as a negative, as something like that is very subjective.

I never understand rejections like this. If they loved X, Y and Z, but not Q, why not ask the writer to change Q? I don't get it.

F.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never understand rejections like this. If they loved X, Y and Z, but not Q, why not ask the writer to change Q? I don't get it.

F.

I think because then they've created the expectation that they'll work with you until you've "fixed" it - but if they were going to do that, they'd just accept it and sign you up. They might love a book to bits, but not have the time to focus on it to that extent. So often it comes down to time.

OP - lovely rejection. Do keep it. When you've stopped crying, you should feel very confident that you're on the right track :Hug2: Well done, you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.