Breaking up with a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I'm realizing that things with my novel just aren't going to work out. It's fundamentally flawed, or at least flawed beyond my abilities to fix it. I love it but I'm exhausted from the efforts of trying to make it work, of giving it yet another chance.

And it really is hitting me like a break-up. I've worked on this for three and a half years. It isn't my first novel but it's my first serious novel, the first I've worked on as an adult. I've worked SO hard, so much rewriting and restructuring. I'm on draft 8.5 or something (I stopped counting, plus my numbering stopped being logical). When I finished this version and read it straight through I felt so happy--I felt after all that work I'd finally done it. I actually cried feeling proud of it. As that's worn off, and as I've got feedback, I'm realizing the reality. It might have been the best I can do but it still isn't good. It isn't a lack of trying, or even of talent generally, it's this novel. It's not going to work. I really thought it would be The One [ie, my debut] and it's just not going to be. And I'm crying my eyes out to realize it.

I know not now doesn't mean not never--maybe one day I can come back to it and things will be different. And I know it isn't an end-all. I've been writing for fifteen years and I know I'm not terrible, and this whole experience does prove I CAN write a serious adult novel, and more importantly, put in all the effort towards rewriting and editing I didn't for my earlier, younger novels. I have another project to work on, even, that I feel keen about. But right now I'm still stuck emotionally thinking "I don't WANT another project, I want THIS ONE."

I'm sure, like actual heartbreak, these intense feelings will pass, but right now I feel maybe I need some reassurance that they're going to. Thanks for listening.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The best way to get over a breakup is to find a new heartthrob. Do so as soon as yu can think about it rationally. You learn things from every relationship that should help you with the next. Your new love may treat you a lot better than this one did.

But don't burn any bridges. You may, with time, find new things to love about your old flame, and even if bigamy is illegal out there, in the writing world it's a great way to live. You may slip out late some Saturday night and have fling with your old love.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to get over a breakup is to find a new heartthrob. Do so as soon as yu can think about it rationally. You learn things from every relationship that should help you with the next. Your new love may treat you a lot better than this one did.

But don't burn any bridges. You may, with time, find new things to love about your old flame, and even if bigamy is illegal out there, in the writing world it's a great way to live. You may slip out late some Saturday night and have fling with your old love.

Oh my goodness... was that James being snugly and downright charming? :)

Just teasing, curmudgeony friend. That was lovely advice.

~ Anna

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca

Thank you-- that is a really, really helpful extension of the metaphor. :)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That was really lovely, jamesaritchie, and very true.

When you have to break-up with a novel, it can feel like a relationship break-up. You've put three and a half years into it! You've spent free time daydreaming about it! You've stayed up late fretting about it! And then, in the end, when it just isn't working, it hurts.

I had to break up with my first serious adult novel after working on it for a long time when I realized that it wasn't actually a serious adult novel. It needed to be YA and I simply don't have the skill set to write that. So I had to trunk it. I wrote something else. I rewrote it. I queried it. I rewrote it twice more. Then I had to trunk it because I'd hit the end of the querying road. Now, two more MSs behind me unsuccessfully queried, I'm back to it.

So, yes, it does hurt, but those intense feelings will pass.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I have several novels I broke up with. One was the result of a decades-long effort: 160k words of Gen X angst and literary pretensions and '80s nostalgia and SF. It was all over the place, and I plan to pillage pieces of it for a tighter book one day.

But there's also one book I just can't quit. I've given it who-knows-how-many facelifts and limb and organ transplants (it's about extreme plastic surgery, hence the grotesque metaphors), and I may self-publish it someday if it comes to that. The Victor Frankenstein in me can't relinquish my creation.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness... was that James being snugly and downright charming? :)

Just teasing, curmudgeony friend. That was lovely advice.

~ Anna

I was under the influence of very strong meds.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Maybe turn this current project into a hobby of sorts while beginning another novel. Work on it here and there. That way you are not abandoning it, altogether, and at the same time you will be developing something new.

As the saying goes, "don't put all your eggs in one basket."

G'luck.

Last edited:

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
James.....I knew there was a poet in there, screaming 'let me outta here!', lol)

Yes Flapper, it's the hardest thing. It really is. And yes, it's like a relationship break-up. But that's a good thing - it means you care about your work.

Which tends to lead to success. (ie publication)

If fabulosity were easy, everyone would be doing it.

The good news is that the emotional journey taken, and the wisdom gained therein, does not evaporate. 'Twill always be there.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Thanks so much to everyone for relating and reassuring, just the kinds of things I needed to hear.

I am feeling a bit better now (deep breath). It is definitely nice to remember it isn't as final as a relationship break-up. And yes, even if all it will ever be is a learning experience novel, well, it was quite the experience and I am much better for it.

Thanks all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.