Finished First Draft!

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
And when I say first draft, I mean my first ever first draft! 120,000 words - more than ten times what I've ever managed to write before. But I must admit it doesn't feel as good as I was expecting... I just know I have a LOT of editing ahead...

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Trust me, it's awesome to have finished a first draft of 120,00 words! A general rule of thumb I've heard is that you should cut 10%, so you should end up around 108,000 words, which is almost the perfect length for most publishers.

Congratulations!

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers for the congrats, matt. I tend to underwrite though.... I can't face going over it right now - I need a bit of a break - but if I were to increase the word count rather than decrease it, do you reckon it would 'fare me ill'?

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! It's so hard to leave it though.... it's just sitting there.... calling me....

Selene LuPaine

Registered
Reaction score
lol, well thats good then that you want to edit your work which will take lots of time and patience. Congratulations on finishing your novel!

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!
emoteClap.gif

It's a great feeling to get to the end -- even if that means that you go right back to the beginning again.

Just my $0.02, but putting it aside for awhile & celebrating, is great advice.
If you can't "not write" [& believe me, I know the feeling!] start another book, or a short story . . . anything so you can give your finished work a little breathing room.

Have a great day!
EmoteSun.gif

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
Yup - that's what I'm trying to do right now - work on the sequel. But the ms will always be in the back of my mind screaming "look at all my spelling errors and plot inconsistencies!"

I'll have to get started on this new one pretty soon if only to drown out the noise.