Dzien dobry!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all the Poles and other Slavic folks out there. I see the Russian language already got a shout out.

So, where ya from, where do you live, and what do you speak, et al?

I'm Polish by blood, born and raised in the USA, always spoke a bit of Polish growing up, and am now working on improving my speaking and reading skills. I hope to read the first 5 books in The Witcher series by Andrej Sapkowski, in Polish, by the end of the year. It will be slow going, but that's okay :) I've read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves in English already, and will read those in Polish first, since I know what's going on. Then I can work on the rest.

Anyone know a good e-dictionary for Polish-English? :D

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Dzien dobry, Fenika!

I want to speak Polish, but haven't managed to do it yet.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dzien dobry, Fenika!

I want to speak Polish, but haven't managed to do it yet.

You should learn. It's a fun and challenging language.

Polak, Węgier — dwa bratanki,
i do szabli, i do szklanki,
oba zuchy, oba żwawi,
niech im Pan Bóg błogosławi.

Dzien dobry from Hungary, "cousin". :)

:) I read some of that, my Babcia translated some of it, and I like. Dzien dobry from the Czech Republic and soon to be in Krakow. :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Brawo dla Polaków! Moja dziewczyna jest kanadyjski, ale jej rodzina pochodzi z Mielca. Kobiety polskie są tak atrakcyjne.

And she typed that, not me, but I agree. :D

Try this dictionary.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy belated Constitution Day.

I have been working on my Polish via Rosetta Stone, listening online, reading The Witcher books po polsku, emailing my family po polsku, etc etc etc. It's coming along, but the grammar is still killing me ;)

There's a lovely free online course: http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/
I can't get the sounds or extras to play on that- I keep meaning to email them about a CD or something for purchase.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dziękujemy za życzenia!

ETA: 'We thank you for the wishes' :)

Last edited:

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Ah, it's time to revive this thread.
35, male, married, 1 son, living in Warsaw :)
Miło was poznać.

If you read in Polish, I invite you to my homepage, there is a half-dead blog and excerpts from my novels.
HERE

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just going to jump in randomly, shout dobrý den and then jump out again. Not Polish, but living in the Czech Republic, but then the OP did say 'Slavic' as well. I am planning on learning Polish but I have to master Czech first. So just saying ahoj.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello goldmund. I was just visiting Warsaw last month. I read Polish, but it's often a struggle. I'll see how I do with your blog :)

Ahoj, Zelenka! Nice to see you again. How are you getting settled in Czech? Prague treating you well?

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Hello goldmund. I was just visiting Warsaw last month. I read Polish, but it's often a struggle. I'll see how I do with your blog :)

Ahoj, Zelenka! Nice to see you again. How are you getting settled in Czech? Prague treating you well?

Settled in nicely, starting a new job next week (in training right now), trying out my language skills (or lack of same). ;)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not like the grammar is horribly complicated or anything ;)

My Czech is terrible (I know less than a dozen words, unless they are very similar to Polish :D), but with Polish at least, I've found it all looks and sounds so similar sometimes. But I can use that similarity when learning new words to kinda 'focus in' on the root sounds, even if they aren't based on the same root word stem. It helps, at least until someone starts talking really fast.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't trust similarities between Polish and Czech! If you ask for a fresh bread in Czech language, you'll get a week-old bun in Poland! ;-)

See, Fenika, it's a shame I posted so late -- we could meet in my proud capital.
My blog's not very interesting, just PR stuff. Check out my writing excerpts on the right of the main page (Straznik Parku, Wabienie Rekinow, Wszystkie zwierzeta...)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It's not like the grammar is horribly complicated or anything ;)

My Czech is terrible (I know less than a dozen words, unless they are very similar to Polish :D), but with Polish at least, I've found it all looks and sounds so similar sometimes. But I can use that similarity when learning new words to kinda 'focus in' on the root sounds, even if they aren't based on the same root word stem. It helps, at least until someone starts talking really fast.

I'm at a pretty basic level, can ask for stuff and vaguely understand what people are saying, if they speak slowly enough. I need to actually work on it more though, I've been very lazy in studying for the last while.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I never attempt to speak in Czech (except the odd single word). I just speak Polish and hope they understand enough. Sometimes they speak Czech and hope I understand enough. We might go back and forth a few times before hitting an impass. ;)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I never attempt to speak in Czech (except the odd single word). I just speak Polish and hope they understand enough. Sometimes they speak Czech and hope I understand enough. We might go back and forth a few times before hitting an impass. ;)

I feel slightly lucky that I have an east coast Scottish accent because it's helped an awful lot with pronunciation and some of the trickier letters, but annoying I'm still at the stage where I go to speak and go totally blank, yet five minutes later I know exactly how to say it.

I only did a tiny bit of Polish ages ago through an audio course, but I noticed I could read some of the labels in the Polish grocery in Glasgow after I started learning Czech. I'm going tomorrow though to get a book I saw on Czech verbs, try to get some vocab. I think my grammar is not so bad these days but I really need to extend my wordlists.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Dobry den!

Not a native slavic speaker, but I did study Czech and Slovak back in 1984-85 at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey. (Oh, please, I "HAVE" to go to Monterey, CA? Really? OK. *grin*)

Nowhere near as fluent as I was years ago, but I can still stumble through basic conversation and I (almost) remember how to conjugate verbs in all seven cases (nominative, accusative, dative, genitive, subjunctive, objective and imperative. - I think that's them anyway. *sigh*)

Still have my class books and cassette tapes from DLI somewhere around here. Probably ought to go dig them out one of these days and see how much I've forgotten.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can read Czech labels sometimes, which is useful since my grandmother lives in Czech.

Welcome Richard. I bet your grammar is better than mine. I screw it up constantly ;)

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Aha! I knew I'd stumble my way here eventually! Dobry den!

My latest WIP (just finished as NaNo and now up for revisions) is loosely based on some obscure Polish mythology, and about half of it takes place in Puszcza Niepołomicka, about 25km outside of Kraków. My good Polish grammar is 20 years rusty. My bad Polish/English grammar learned at the feet of my family is rampant. :) Am hoping for some help in double-checking the few full sentences I use in flashback and/or dream sequences. I keep the Polish to a minimum, because while it's a beautiful language, I know Americans aren't fond of the footnotes, even in lit fic. I am, however, going to make them hopefully suck it up on the names of the Polish characters.

Dziękuję bardzo, in advance.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Bees. What Polish Mythology did you use?

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah, the forest creatures switch your babies for their own? I've used them, too, in my first novel :) They're an attractive bunch.

Please feel free to send me the Polish sentences, I'll correct them for you, if needed.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Yes, and no. I ignored the changeling idea, since it's only in some of the stories. I went with the idea that they killed male babies (selective breeding or killing male children) but what if one didn't follow along and raised that lone male child? And kept him hidden among humans until he reached maturity?