Robin Gibb

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
At work today I got to hear, in background, two old BeeGees songs written by and vocally featuring the late Robin Gibb, "I Started A Joke" and "Gotta Get a Message to You". These came out before the late 1970s disco mania, and older brother Barry's falsetto domination of their later output (which pissed off Robin so much that, for a time, he refused to work with Barry, I believe).

The early BeeGees material featured a lot of Robin's writing and oddly fascinating vulnerable, almost fragile, vocal style. And, damn, a lot of that is really really attractive, forty years on now. I especially remember a song from the Odessa album titled "Black Diamond", another of Robin's major efforts.

He's passed on now, sadly, but this early work strikes me as good, serious pop creation. I enjoyed hearing those old songs today; hadn't listened to them in a long while.

caw

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never listened to pre-disco Bee Gees of any form. It's revealing to see how much artists change, or adapt, over time.

Thanks for the tip, bb.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
A couple of other early Bee Gees songs that deserve a mention -- Massachusetts and New York Mining Disaster 1941. Poet, you might have heard their song Spicks and Specks on ABC telly. (Although that was Bazza on vocals.)