From beginning to end (My SP Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys

I want to give people my experiences from start to finish of writing a book and then self publishing it. I will update this post as I go along with the headline details so you can either read the entire thread if you want of just this post.

Name of Book: Worldgate - Sorrows Reflection.
Genre: Fantasy (Adult) (possibly Young Adult)
My Minimum Goals:

1. To sell one book.
2. To get one good honest buyer review.
3. To have a hardbound copy of my book on my bookshelf.

My medium Goals:

1. To sell £100 ($160) worth of books per month.
2. To have a few good buyer reviews and one half decent Good Reads type review.
3. To release another book.

My Maximum Goals:

1. To sell £5000 ($8000) worth of books in a year.
2. To be asked to do interviews/talk about my book(s).
3. To have someone ask what else I've written/am writing.

My Godlike Goals: To be richer than J.K. Rowling, a better known than Bill Gates and have a ghost writer do all my writing so I can go jet ski in my pool (better known as the Mediterranean).

Anyway back to reality.

Began writing novel - 25th September 2014

Last edited:

Ian Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
I know this post is way off as far as being in the self publishing section is concerned but I have made the early decision that this is what I'm going to do when the book is complete.

So to start with I have to say that I came late to the table as far as writing is concerned and do have this uncomfortable thought in the back of my head that somebody sooner or later is going to point me out as not being a real writer. I know, I know its just my fears speaking but some of you guys on here are amazing writers and its kinda daunting.

So having said all that and with butterflies in my stomach I've created this thread anyway. If you don't take a few risks in life then what's life for.

Anyway the point of my first update is to say that to date I have now written 5000 words of my novel. Two nights ago (18/10/14) I also got a complete scene list/synopsis for the entire story onto the computer so I definitely know where I'm going with this.

That's it so far. Dull I know but when I complete this book and all the salient points are listed it should hopefully be useful and/or interesting to read.

Ian

Last edited:

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
This is a bit pedantic, but I like to separate goals (things within my control) and dreams/wishes (things outside of my control) into two different categories.

To me, things like writing the book, and having a hardbound copy on your shelf don't belong with getting your first review or selling a bazillion copies.

But hey, that's me and I'm (grudgingly!) fine with you doing things your way. :p

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Ian Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I posted some of what I'd written in the SYW forum. The feedback I got back was immensely valuable and has helped me focus in on key areas I need to work on.

As an aspiring writer/e-publisher I cannot stress how important it is to post in the SYW forum early on. I had 5-6k words written and posted about 2k for review. I would have hated to have written 80k words and then asked for a review. Could you imagine discovering I had areas of development and that I had to rewrite 80k words again, I would have gone slightly insane I think.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Hi there! Best of luck with your thread and your book.

I like your goals, although I also like and agree with what J. Tanner said about recognizing what the difference between a goal and a dream is.

Lastly, (and the reason I felt I had to respond to you) be PREPARED to re-write that 80k novel. Be PREPARED to do it three, five, ten times if you need to. (And you may or may not need to; that's another matter.) One of the most dangerous habits a writer can have is growing too attached to his / her own words. Re-writing can totally suck, or it can totally be a gift. But at times it is necessary to make what you are writing the absolute best it can be. (I've written, revised and rewritten the novel shown in my avatar 3 times now, trying to get it right. I'm finally on the series of revisions which I think will finally allow it to be the story it was meant to be.)

Again, best of luck. I hope your writing adventures go well. :)

byron100

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Best of luck with your thread and your book.

I like your goals, although I also like and agree with what J. Tanner said about recognizing what the difference between a goal and a dream is.

Lastly, (and the reason I felt I had to respond to you) be PREPARED to re-write that 80k novel. Be PREPARED to do it three, five, ten times if you need to. (And you may or may not need to; that's another matter.) One of the most dangerous habits a writer can have is growing too attached to his / her own words. Re-writing can totally suck, or it can totally be a gift. But at times it is necessary to make what you are writing the absolute best it can be. (I've written, revised and rewritten the novel shown in my avatar 3 times now, trying to get it right. I'm finally on the series of revisions which I think will finally allow it to be the story it was meant to be.)

Again, best of luck. I hope your writing adventures go well. :)

I agree with the above. I've written a complete 100k-word novel only to find out it's not worthy of publication. Did I feel like giving up? I did, for a while.

But I got the ol' writing itch again, and I wrote another novel, and another. BUT my writing improved, and I honed in on my weaknesses, such as "telling" rather than showing, developing interesting characters, a good "hook" to draw readers in, etc. Writing takes practice, and a lot of it - so don't get discouraged.

As for your goals, I've achieved 2 of your first 3 (no hardback copy - going to wait on that), and of the 2nd set of goals, I've achieved one (more than $160 sold in a month.) I have a total of 5 reviews, two are from people I do not know...lol. Hoping to score one on Goodreads soon, though.

Although I've gotten a good start, I've got a *long* road ahead of me before I can consider myself an "established" writer. But I'm determined as all-get-out to make it happen and hopefully I can inspire a few others along the way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.