Middling It

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
When I subbed to Penumbra, I got the "bump up" email 5 days later, but then i didn't hear anything until the month before the issue was to come out which was about 3 mths later (this was last year though)

That matches up with what they say on their site. Thanks KitCat!

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
I just got an e-mail from Penumbra that my submission for their Ray Bradbury anthology has made it through to the second round. It will be a few months before they make their final decision, but for now I'm happy that it's made it this far :).

Same for me Sai--congrats and good luck! *fingers crossed we get to share TOC*

Notification of next round bump was also quick for me--sent in sub Nov 1st.

What KitCat said meshes with my previous experience with Penumbra: bump notification within a few days, final response 2-3 months later.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Waiting, waiting and waiting...

McSweeney's Quarterly - 151 days
Opium Magazine - 147 days
Mid-American Review - 138 days
Zoetrope: All-Story - 129 days
Sycamore Review - 91 days
Granta - 81 days
Crazyhorse - 52 days
AGNI - 52 days
Black Warrior Review - 52 days
Ninth Letter - 40 days
A Public Space - 19 days
Flash Fiction Online - 18 days
The Cincinnati Review - 11 days
Indiana Review - 11 days

Anyone else waiting on these guys?

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the heads-up guys, my submission to pen wasn't found!

And gettingby- most of those are long waits, so have fun! MAR I'm curious about, now that the former editorial peeps are at Moon City (also looking for subs, btw). As an aside, MAR used to offer online writing classes, I remember you looking for classes once. They were really good.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
18 days at Strange Horizons. Not much, but I'm thinking, based on duotrope, that it made it past readers to editors.

I hear it's a hard market. Hoping for a personal R at least.

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
I'm...kind of middling it?

Sent a story to DSF, it came back with an editorial change request. Email from them said "Make this change, send it back, we'll send an official acceptance." Got excited, made the change, sent it back as specified...and crickets ever since. That was two and a half weeks ago. I sent a check-in query at the 2-week mark, but now I'm just a jumble of nerves. Can I get some advice? Commiseration? A drink?

I have noticed through DT stalking that there haven't been any acceptances from them lately...maybe they only run acceptances at specific times of the month?

*is desperately clinging to hope*
*sad little cricket chirps*

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Currently have crickets of all ages.

McSweeney's Quarterly Concern: 214
Analog: 110
LORE: 88
GGSFS: 79
Tor.com: 19
Clockwork Phoenix: 1

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
I'm...kind of middling it?

Sent a story to DSF, it came back with an editorial change request. Email from them said "Make this change, send it back, we'll send an official acceptance." *

Sounds like a de facto acceptance to me. Give it a few more days then query again just to check they got it. Did you submit by email or the web form.

I hate situations like that, very nervy.

kalevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Sounds like a de facto acceptance to me. Give it a few more days then query again just to check they got it. Did you submit by email or the web form.

Original submission by web form, changes sent by email as asked for by editors. My inner paranoia is trying to convince me that even though it sounded like acceptance, they are secretly going to reject me anyways. Probably because I misused a semi-colon.

I hate situations like that, very nervy.

Does not help that this is my first time, so I'm all anxious and palm sweaty and don't know what to do with my hands. ;) Thanks for the reassurance. I will now attempt to remain patient.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Original submission by web form, changes sent by email as asked for by editors. My inner paranoia is trying to convince me that even though it sounded like acceptance, they are secretly going to reject me anyways. Probably because I misused a semi-colon.

Does not help that this is my first time, so I'm all anxious and palm sweaty and don't know what to do with my hands. ;) Thanks for the reassurance. I will now attempt to remain patient.

Kalevin,

First of all, congratulations on getting a rewrite request. This is the first rewrite request from DSF I ever heard of :)

Second, don;t worry yet. Most likely, your resubmission has been added at the end of the queue (just like a new sub) and will be read in 3-4 weeks, which is usually how long it takes them to read round 1 subs. I certainly would not query before 30+ days have passed since resubmission.

Jonathan and Michele are really good to work with and they will most certainly get back to you. You just have to give them some time.

And, as another data point, they did have a round of acceptances today, but those were at 45 days or so.

kalevin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Thanks Alex, PD. I did see the slew of acceptances after I posted here. Practicing my zen.

In other news, a different piece got bumped up to the full board at Shimmer.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
So...201 days at The New Yorker. :/ Don't get me wrong--I don't actually think the story has a chance there; I'm pretty sure I just fell through the cracks somehow because they've been sending Rs pretty consistently at about 90 days for a while now.
Trying to decide whether to query or sit tight for another...gosh I don't know 104 days then mark it as 'Never responded.' :eek:

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
So...201 days at The New Yorker. :/ Don't get me wrong--I don't actually think the story has a chance there; I'm pretty sure I just fell through the cracks somehow because they've been sending Rs pretty consistently at about 90 days for a while now.
Trying to decide whether to query or sit tight for another...gosh I don't know 104 days then mark it as 'Never responded.' :eek:

I looked it up on Duo and it says you can query at 90-days. I'd go for it.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah I'm at the same wait time, and I've given up. I'll probably wait a while longer before marking it never responded, but I've called it. Sent the story elsewhere :Shrug:

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
five days out at lightspeed while everyone else on duotrope gets 0-3 day responses. Sigh. Should probably stop obsessing.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
five days out at lightspeed while everyone else on duotrope gets 0-3 day responses. Sigh. Should probably stop obsessing.

I'd be obsessing too, knowing Lightspeed's response times. I received a JJA R for one of my stories there, and even that only took 2 days at the time.

Rejectomancy can be a cruel beast!

johemedel

...should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alex, PD. I did see the slew of acceptances after I posted here. Practicing my zen.

In other news, a different piece got bumped up to the full board at Shimmer.

Good luck! I'm sitting at 21 days with Shimmer. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take them to inform you of the bump to the board?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be obsessing too, knowing Lightspeed's response times. I received a JJA R for one of my stories there, and even that only took 2 days at the time.

Rejectomancy can be a cruel beast!

I imagine things slow down around the holidays? Or at least that's what I tell myself as I refresh my inbox every 45 seconds.