The Tenth Circle

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Well...it's time to cross them fingers. The proposal is done and is being sent to the editor within the next day or two. I don't know whether to celebrate or just puke. I guess I'll turn to my languishing, stuck novel to console myself. (Ha!)

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
Another one of my apparently endless updates: The editor wanted more edits, so I'm making them. Pacing myself, but hope to be done by mid-May. Let it not be said I'm not persistent! How are you all?

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Wishing you luck with those edits, Erin and Lily!

I'm going to send off my round 1 revision tomorrow, and it was a big one. So many cuts, additions, restructurings. To say I'm having a crisis of confidence would be an understatement.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Editing luck for everyone!

Just released my second self-pub venture. Remains to be seen how it's going.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My agent says my editor has now been given my email address, so I can expect to hear from him soon. So I think it's time to make the descent into this circle! How is it down here? Toasty?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I hereby declare the first half of 2015 The Half-Year of Un-trunked Novels.

Horror novel coming out in August through a micro pub in Canada
Just got accepted by a new, US micro for my vampire/PR/mystery with naughty bits. (Pending approval of said contract by Awesome Agent. I sign nothing without his go-ahead. Poor man said he couldn't sell the vamp book right now. Can't blame him.)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
*muah*

This was actually a "you know better" situation. I found the pub on a closed FB horror group where I find short story markets. Subbed because the group recs are generally legit. This pub is VERY new. We'll see.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Kudos to Calla for the Great Untrunking!

I got a romance short into the second tier reading for an anthology coming out from a well-known press. I know, because one of the editors told me.

My big fat fantasy mms (written, trunked, revised, subbed, shot down, trunked, rewritten) is in my agent's hands. She'll take a look in the next few weeks to decide if we should revise some more, or...drumroll...go out on sub. We had some Big Five interest last year, but that version was too short.

I've also managed to get four other shorts out on sub in the last two weeks. It's still hell, but a slightly more hopeful hell.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Short story subbing is like Hell on fast-forward sometimes. Yet we do it.

Got the contract for the vampire-mystery-with-naughty-bits book and have forwarded it to Awesome Agent to see what he says. He says sign, I sign. He says run, I run. I listen to the professional who's got my back. :greenie

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, that's exciting news for the Big Fat Fantasy, Filigree!

You, too, Lily! I hope the contract turns out to be solid. And very cool about the book in August!

I have a tentative date for copyedits! It's a tight turnaround, but I welcome that as an incentive to get through the revisions.

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the new draft with the tweaks and changes my editor wanted to see. Got to wait for him to give me feedback now! Very excited to see what he thinks.

Until then, it's time to get cracking on my sequel. I'm really looking forward to it - it feels like a while since I've worked on something new!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Lily! Rep me... (is that still even doable? I haven't quite figured the new site out yet).

The revision cave is nice and airy this time of year. :) Also, I discovered that Netflix has 195 episodes of Supernatural and I want to watch them all. (How can TV shows still have 11 seasons of 22-23 episodes each?! It's madness, I tell you. But as long as each season involves one of the boys going to heaven and/or hell and/or starting an apocalypse and/or becoming soulless or a demon, I'm happy.)

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! Bubbly news! I like bubbly news!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Barnes and Noble stories:

I sign in the one in my hometown of Syracuse NY and the events manager is terrific, helpful, all around great. Never an issue. I know what to provide him and he knows he can ask me for whatever he needs.

The one in Buffalo, where I live? :gaah Constant staff turnover. There's yet another events manager! I went in this morning (day off) and she was very nice BUT gave e a 2-page form to fill out, including questions on how I plan to promote, and how my signing would increase traffic to their store.

:gaah

If they bounce me, I'm heading straight to the big local indie. They like litfic better than genre, but business and a local gal writer is business.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry to hear that about Buffalo, Lily! It's weird how corporate cultures can differ across a chain. (My B&N had the same events manager for over a decade, I think, starting when they opened and I worked there. Always super-busy, lots of nice staffers.)

But of course indies are great, too. Can you read in both, or is that not kosher? I know all the local indie store folks, and I'm hoping to sign in as many as I can. I've heard some stores don't like to host YA readings, because teens don't exactly show up en masse, but we do have an excellent kids' bookstore...

Bryan, did you get your editor's feedback? I hope the revision and sequel are going wonderfully!

Me, I'm in limbo till copyedits come back, but I've got plenty to do...

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Fuchsia, Buffalo is small. When I debuted back in 2011, I did B&N, the big indie and the central library. Fewer people showed up at each one. Lesson learned. :) Now I only do one and promote the heck out of it.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Fuchsia, Buffalo is small. When I debuted back in 2011, I did B&N, the big indie and the central library. Fewer people showed up at each one. Lesson learned. :) Now I only do one and promote the heck out of it.

Ahhh, good point. My town is waaaay smaller than Buffalo — think 40k people, not counting the sprawling burbs. It's a bookish town, but still. So I guess it's all about promotion and strategy.

Got CE's today. Deep breaths...

trirae

Registered
Reaction score
Website
triciaclasen.com
Hi all,

I'm going to sneak in here. I've been on submission for over a year, and the deal was just announced this week, so know I join this whole new waiting game--waiting for an editorial letter, figuring out my role in social media, etc. I have a MG coming Fall of '16.

Exciting to be on the journey, but I'm definitely looking for some support.

Loved reading about the "Great Untrunking." I think that may be on my list of things to do once I have a handle on the Tenth Circle.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome trirae, and congratulations! I've been meeting some of your fellow Sky Pony authors in my debut group, and the books all sound really cool!

I read galleys till 4 this morning and I am so. Tired. My book is way longer than I ever realized. :)