Not open for further replies.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another writing board I visit has a discussion going about how easy it is to see "twists" (which don't deserve the name) on TV shows. The moment you go, "Hey, that guy!" when you don't recognize the other actors brought in for the episode, the moment the camera lingers on the pen knife or the locked cabinet, the moment the leads dismiss a suspect too quickly, you might as well go read a book, because you know how it's going to end.

In movies it's not quite that bad, but it's still rare for a twist to be terrific without being either telegraphed or deus ex machina.

One man there, among the very few who make a living as screenwriters, says that for TV it's not about the mystery. It's about the main character being in amusing or interesting situations. Make Matlock coach a girls' soccer team while he solves the case! Make Bones masquerade as a Guido! Fill Tutuola with angst which turns to acceptance that his kid's gay!

Maryn, reminded why TV sucks

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, "Breaking Bad" usually managed to surprise me. Or even if something was heavily foreshadowed, I still wanted to see how it would play out. (I still maintain that show was better than most movies. :) )

Though, on another board, we did have a running joke about "Chekhov's gun/rug/brake pedal/whatever" on that show. If a character straightens a rug early in the episode ... he'll probably trip over that same rug later. Question is, what will the horrible consequences of his tripping be?

I'm revising my novel to play up the plot twists and make them even twistier. But I have a feeling that no matter what I do, some readers will always say, "I totally called that!" (Luckily for me, my editor was surprised the first time around.)

I believe that if you distract the reader or viewer with enough random stuff (like "Chekhov's brake pedal," which ended up having no bearing on the plot whatsoever), they will get confused and not guess the actual twist. But it's tricky... :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The worst episode of "Breaking Bad" was better than the best episode of most series, of course. In my opinion, which is absolutely correct. ;)

I have deep cleaned the left side of the kitchen. The rest could be not-so-deep cleaned in an hour or less, so I'm hopeful. Unknown and no doubt unappreciated by Mr. Maryn, I have also cleaned the powder room, where the gentleman of the house is responsible for 90% of what needs cleaning. I remain mystified by the fact that I have to scrub down the wall opposite the toilet. Isn't he supposed to be facing it? How the hell does he get the area behind his heels wet?

Maryn, who may have said too much

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first non-beta feedback on Second Olympus. One of the reviewers emailed to say she was 100 pages in, and loving it. I feel a little better now.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Yes! Super excited to get my hands on that one!

Well, I was totally going to get up early AND use the hour and a half of extra time I have before my training today to work on edits. Alas, it snowed last night and I just couldn't bring myself to face the day until my regular wake-up time, so now I'll see how much I can edit in an hour or so.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our house is so clean I'm afraid to live here. I suppose it says something bad about me that I'm uncomfortable when it's like this.

Our guest doesn't arrive until early afternoon. Maybe I should go out or something.

Maryn, who won't

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Why women drink: I had to buy clothes because my tried-and-true capris fall off my flabby butt now. In Lee jeans I'm an entire size smaller than I am in Levis. Good thing I didn't order online, which I had considered because shopping, gah. Tried on 3 capris and 2 pair of shorts. The shorts looked HIDEOUS! Pasty white legs and knees below granny cargo shorts. :scared: I'm going to try and take in my skorts because they're so hard to find.

And drink. I'm going to drink.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Lily, I hear you. I don't do shorts because my legs look hideous in them. I wear skirts and dresses a lot, but then, too, never without leggings or tights, yes, even in summer.

I had my first ModCloth fail today: really cute cat print halter dress was ridiculously tight in the waist and bust. As in, I did get the zipper up, but then it felt like I was going to fall out. On the upside, the rest I ordered fit, so this is going back, for store credit, because they'll give me an extra $5 and I'm waiting for a soon-to-be-released cat print dress that will work much better for school etc. anyway.

Wasn't very productive at all today. Need to step up my game if I want to be done by the time PPWC rolls around next week.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, pants and shorts and jeans shopping, I hate it with the fire of a thousand suns.

I did, however, find one style of one brand of jeans that fits, and the same with dress pants. So I have two pairs of jeans and two pairs of dress pants that I actually look okay in and can sit down in without sawing myself in half at the waistband.

Speaking of summer clothes, do those who wear skirts and dresses know about the miracle that is Jockey Skimmies Slipshorts. Fully comfy, many colors, machine wash & dry, runs one size small, $20 unless you catch a sale. I started out with a black and a skin-tone but now have turquoise and purple, too. It lets me wear a dress or skirt and walk without chafing myself half to death.

Maryn, who should sew today

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Must investigate these Jockeys.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC, they have them at Kohl's and Penney's. And online, since you know to just get your usual size plus one. I did try on some other brands, which were just fine but cost more. Maidenform, maybe? I forget.

I have walked four miles at a stately pace because my $%^&* knee is still bothering me (twisted it a few weeks ago getting up to answer the phone--and it was a telemarketer), pulled the grass out of half my little flower garden, which has an excellent worm population, had lunch, and cleaned up. I'm tired and it's only mid-afternoon. Oh, and I watched another episode of "The Killing" while I ate, because if I wait until I'm using the treadmill next fall, I won't remember what's going on.

Maryn, busy person

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does that mean it's Lily's? I'm kind of dense.

Happy Birthday!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Thanks, Caleb and Maryn.

Busy day at chez lily. All The Cleaning is done (as All as I'm willing to do, that is), plus 2 cakes baked, chicken marinating, presents wrapped. Monday is my dad's birthday, so we're having a party tomorrow.

It's a beautiful day. The windows are open. The downside is I found mold in the corner of my closet and some of my yarn is ruined. Have de-molded the corner (yech) and bought a big plastic tote this morning. Now to sort and toss and re-package. This time EVERYTHING goes in a ziploc baggie. No exceptions.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no, on the yarn! I once lost my only pair of custom-made sandals ever (sniff!) the same way, a remote corner of the closet gone to mold. I got them looking okay, but they never smelled the same again.

Since fabric is as risk, same as yarn, I've been gradually accumulating plastic tubs to store it all that way. I was lucky when the basement flooded that the only cloth to get wet was a cardboard box of scraps for quilting. So no real loss.

We are down to one final chair, by which I mean Mr. Maryn and I have reglued, rewebbed, and reupholstered 9 of the 10 dining chairs that needed it (kitchen table and dining room table). The first ones we did look kind of sloppy now--isn't that always the way it goes, your skill set approaching pretty good only near the end of the project?--and we agree a pneumatic staple gun should be something a person can rent, though we could not find one.

Next up will probably be wallpaper for the entryway. We agreed when we were house hunting that we didn't like this paper. Eighteen years later, it hasn't grown on us. Go figure!

Lily, I'm sad that you had to bake your own cake, even though I used to do the same. I hate that helpless-me act Mr. Maryn does when I propose a cake out of a freakin' box. I think if ten-year-olds can do it, it's probably not beyond him. Silly Mr. Maryn!

Maryn, who did not work in the garden as promised

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Really and truly, I like to bake. Mom and dad are bringing me 6 of the only real half moons, from Harrison Bakery in Syracuse. I has a happy.

Much yarn was lost, but not as much as I feared. The walls are clean and sanitized and the yarn is toted.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As Twitter-promised, here's how I taught myself to pare a 7500-word short story down to 3500 or less.
  • Open a new document and the too-long story.
  • For each paragraph of the story, long or short, write one sentence in the new document which says what the paragraph does. This is the reason the paragraph exists, not merely the information the paragraph conveys. Examples: Wife learns Jonah cheated with Sue from work. Hm, that took 200 words on the page, some of it dialogue. Build sympathy for overwhelmed mom. Or Jeff hunts alone since his friend's heart attack. Or The ambassador is obscenely rich.
  • Close the too-long story's document.
  • Starting at the end, write a new paragraph which does what the summary sentence says the paragraph does. Don't get fancy. Don't add anything that's not in the summary sentence.
  • When you reach the first paragraph, you have another draft of the story. It should be substantially shorter.
  • Edit the story for quality--but you may not add to its present word count. Find every non-essential word, unnecessary detail, redundancy, adverb propping up a verb, etc. and use the words saved to add quality in edits.
This has worked pretty well for me, and I've trained myself to get to the freakin' point much faster, in short works anyway.

In other news, good morning, everybody. The sun is shining, we're headed for the 60s, and my knee is throbbing like a steel drum when I put weight on it.

Maryn, ever so old

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maryn, thanks for that set of bullet points! I shall use it when I write my next short. My most recent one I subbed to an antho with a max 4500 count. The story was 5100. Yanno, I somehow managed to get it under 4500. :D That's the version I re-subbed, too.

63 in the house (we turned off the heat). Supposed to be beautiful today. The parents are coming up to celebrate both birthdays, TB stayed over at a friend's because they went out to bars with music and is expected back soon. Can I reiterate how incredibly pleased I am that when he plans a Saturday night like that he always stays at a friend's rather than drive. Incredibly pleased.

CB is home--well, right now he's refereeing a soccer game. Later there will be presents and cakes and such. TB is into Frolf now (mini-Frisbee golf). He plans to take my dad out for a round this morning.

Mr Lily volunteered to get the paper. He may return with flowers as well. :D He was refereeing RIT's Prom Dress Rugby charity tournament all day yesterday.

See you much later.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in for a second before we head out to a karate tournament. *wave*

Status
Not open for further replies.