The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
OMG. I actually had to Google that. I wish I could un-Google it.

So many of us are jealous for not having that song bounce in your head for years.

But don't worry.

We're never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
So many of us are jealous for not having that song bounce in your head for years.

But don't worry.

Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye

10b6f9beb259bb45ffa24cb55fd271759a28b7f0

inthewritemind

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first time posting in this thread because this is the first time I've ever had anything close to ready for querying.

Haven't started sending out queries yet but pitchslam team results were announced today and no requests for me :(

I'm actually not as depressed as I thought I would be, I'm still pretty stoked that I even made it to the agent round in the first place. I'm just really excited to take the feedback and apply it to another round of revisions for this MS before I officially start querying!

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I just realized I broke in lucky page number 777... with a Rick Roll. I don't know how to feel about this. Did I just ruin our luck? Amplify it?

This is my first time posting in this thread because this is the first time I've ever had anything close to ready for querying.

Haven't started sending out queries yet but pitchslam team results were announced today and no requests for me :(

I'm actually not as depressed as I thought I would be, I'm still pretty stoked that I even made it to the agent round in the first place. I'm just really excited to take the feedback and apply it to another round of revisions for this MS before I officially start querying!

Hey, don't worry. I technically haven't been querying for... um... 6 months now? I just like hanging out here.

And hey, congrats on making it to the agent round. I believe I took a shot at that contest last year and never made a dent anywhere. One agent, in her feedback, seemed to have no idea what my book was about too. It was kinda funny. Well, funny now. Annoying then.

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score

But don't worry.

Never gonna let you down
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye

:gaah

Man, Antonin. You do evil well!

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and welcome, inthewritemind. :welcome: This is a great support group (Rick Roll above notwithstanding).

Nova - thanks for the condolences.

Hathor - I couldn't believe that was a real song. At first I thought it was a spoof! (I'm still not sure it isn't.)

Antonin - I got your PM, but just so you know, I probably won't be able to get to it until later on today--just a busy day ahead and I really, really want to get some writing done... It's been a terrible week for that, what with all the Rs that arrived all at once and whatnot. I'm bucking up, though! Having some consolatory wine and cookies and brownies and chaining myself to that keyboard! :whip: I might actually shut down my wi-fi to avoid Internet procrastination.

Antonin

▐п╣�▀╪? ╧ы§�Й!
Registered
Reaction score
I see we cross posted!

Antonin - I got your PM, but just so you know, I probably won't be able to get to it until later on today--just a busy day ahead and I really, really want to get some writing done... It's been a terrible week for that, what with all the Rs that arrived all at once and whatnot. I'm bucking up, though! Having some consolatory wine and cookies and brownies and chaining myself to that keyboard! :whip: I might actually shut down my wi-fi to avoid Internet procrastination.

No worries. Take your time. :D

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I sadly just got a reject on a full from an agent that I really liked, who had originally sent me a personalized request... If I didn't just get that R & R with positive comments, I would totally fall into questioning the manuscript's worth because I'm surprised "how much of a form reject" it is, super short. I think this was the first time I felt a reject physically (luckily I had taken an ibuprofen for a headache earlier-somone posted an article that said it actually helps when you get rejected). wow. :e2paperba

ok I can't crawl in bed, sulk etc as I'm hosting my lil'ones' 1st bday tomorrow. :e2crown: that's gotta remind me of the important stuff in life. My husband is totally bewildered by this process, he says I'm confusing agents with publishers, like getting the agent is the end point. I don't know what the end point is-I don't think there ever is one until you part with the book completely and move on with life, agented, published or not.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, I sadly just got a reject on a full from an agent that I really liked, who had originally sent me a personalized request... If I didn't just get that R & R with positive comments, I would totally fall into questioning the manuscript's worth because I'm surprised "how much of a form reject" it is, super short. I think this was the first time I felt a reject physically (luckily I had taken an ibuprofen for a headache earlier-somone posted an article that said it actually helps when you get rejected). wow. :e2paperba

ok I can't crawl in bed, sulk etc as I'm hosting my lil'ones' 1st bday tomorrow. :e2crown: that's gotta remind me of the important stuff in life. My husband is totally bewildered by this process, he says I'm confusing agents with publishers, like getting the agent is the end point. I don't know what the end point is-I don't think there ever is one until you part with the book completely and move on with life, agented, published or not.

He isn't wrong. Getting an agent isn't the end-point. But what's the percentage of aspiring writers who snag an agent? It's not just a stop along the way (it is that, too), it's a necessary (and extremely elusive) gate to pass through on your way to the ultimate goal of getting published.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, Nova :Hug2:

But ibuprofen? I prefer booze, chocolate, and giant slabs of carrot cake. But to each his or her own. :D

I've only felt rejection physically once, when I didn't make it into Pitch Wars last year. I'd gotten hopeful signs, believed in my book, and... nothing. I went through a period of days when I didn't even feel like eating.

Think of your little one and all that's good in your life. Including that R&R ;)

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Hey thanks Hathor. I followed the ibuprofen with chocolate and coffee.
I'm going to work hard to shake it off by this evening - last time I got a reject on full I was newly post partuum with the one turning one. I query slow, batches.
Angel- I think the end point for me is when I feel ready to walk away from a book, no matter its status (on my computer or in a bookstore). I like to ask myself this because I'm not sure what publishing means to me. I mean, enough for me to seek it, but I'm pretty open minded about its meaning. I remind myself this like my husband reminds me when I get rejects- it sucks but it's certainly not the end of my writing world.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday, everyone!!

Another very exciting short story acceptance rolled in last night! Woohoo!

re: the Friday song
I looked it up once. Fortunately, it was only that once and it's been long enough ago that I've completely forgotten how it goes.

inthewritemind - Welcome! Sorry to hear about PitchSlam. Some of those contests are tough.

Nova - Consolation cookies for you. And happy bday to your little one! I also don't really know what the end point is. :p I think for me, right now, it's seeing my book on a shelf at B&N. I think I'll feel like I've 'made it' then.

By request:
_fairy_dust__by_broken_toy.gif

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Friday, everyone!!

Another very exciting short story acceptance rolled in last night! Woohoo!

re: the Friday song
I looked it up once. Fortunately, it was only that once and it's been long enough ago that I've completely forgotten how it goes.

inthewritemind - Welcome! Sorry to hear about PitchSlam. Some of those contests are tough.

Nova - Consolation cookies for you. And happy bday to your little one! I also don't really know what the end point is. :p I think for me, right now, it's seeing my book on a shelf at B&N. I think I'll feel like I've 'made it' then.

By request:
_fairy_dust__by_broken_toy.gif

hey cyborg Wendy, congrats on the short story acceptance. I'm getting ready to submit one of my own so I totally roll around in your fairy dust, you magical short story wonder! yeah, that's it. I'll get excited about my short story...

ps: thanks for the birthday wishes to the lil' one.

Moonchild

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the full R, Nova! :Hug2:Do supplement your Ibuprofen with a batch of freshly baked, extra-gooey brownies!

And yay Wendy on the short story acceptance! :hooray:

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, cake! And yay, yet another short story acceptance by our resident cyborg-tree spreader-of-fairy-dust!

I'm trying to figure out why I have a random favorite for an SFF pitch from December. This isn't an agent, editor, or writer from what I can tell. And a local art-framing company also favorited a pitch of mine a while ago.

It's my future public discovering me, I guess.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Been trying to think of something worse than "Friday." I couldn't think of it. But when I stopped considering the matter, it came to me: "Do Wah Diddy Diddy."

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
thanks, guys. tomorrow there's cake.:Cake:

I don't trust anyone who promises me cake in the future.

Not after that incident with the computer AI run amok in that underground secret bunker for testing ultra-high tech military equipment.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Phew, what a week! Travel was annoying and I ended up having to drive 2 hours through a snow and rain storm (Not Fun for this California girl) and barely had any time to breathe, it felt like! But I did keep up with my daily writing, even if I'm not entirely confident with what is going on in this MS right now.

Congrats/good luck to Hathor and Nova on the R&Rs! :banana:

Inbox has been quite quiet this week. Did get one R from an agent I had really high hopes for (she had asked to see future projects in her R of MS4). I have no requests out, have only so far had 1 partial request for MS5, and I'm getting up past 30 queries. But my query has gotten good feedback from people who've reviewed it and I'm happy with my opening pages...I just don't know. I suppose on the one hand I should pause and re-evaluate so I don't burn through agents. But on the other, I did that before and ended up only making a few insubstantial tweaks.

Man, 2015 is the R&D board's year!

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.