character names

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
How do you name your characters? How do you decide if Peter is really a Richard? And do you know your characters' names when you start a story or is this something that comes after you've written part or all of the story?

Writing short stories all the time, we are always creating new characters, and they all need names. I realized that I have too many Daves in my stories. I have to stop using that name. And sometimes I start off with one name and realize it is the wrong name once I write more about them.

I know names might not be that important, but this is something I struggle with sometimes. How important are character names? How do the names you choose usually suit the characters?

Mamitt

Registered
Reaction score
I only remember having a negative reaction to the name of a character once, but each time I try to name one of my own characters I think it stopefies the novel.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
For me, a character's physical appearance usually comes first, so I have that bit of information to go off of. Then, I'll either peruse a naming database until I find something I like or determine the character's ethnic background and limit my choices to relevant names. Sometimes, I'll head over to one of those baby naming sites and look for names that have something to do with the story. For example, I recently wrote a short story about a jewel thief, so I sought out names that had to do with money, treasure, gold, jewels, etc. Of course, the name still has to "feel" right, but it's a nice way to begin the brainstorming process.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
You'll laugh, but I look around the room when I'm writing and grab whatever names my eyes stop at. Often it's the first name of an author on my book shelf, but once I was looking for just the right name and my eyes fixated on a box of candy my hubby had given me. Russell (Stover) was born! :roll:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to christen my characters by deciding who their parents were. My most recent sale has a woman named Skye--her full name is Sunny Skye Hartley--because her parents were hippies and this kind of name given in the time period when she was born was not yet trite or cause for groans.

Most of the time I go for names which are not too white-bread and easy to forget or confuse. Any reader might mix up Bill Johnson and Jim Williams, even though there are legions of real men with those names. If I opt for a very common surname, I seek a more unique first name--if that's what the character's parents would use. Aubrey Johnson and Kyle Williams work better for me.

I often tap the roster of my high school and the nursery school families for surnames; those feel real to me, although I sometimes respell them for ease of pronunciation. I search lists I can readily access online for more names; IMDb's full cast and crew lists are a gold mine, as are sports rosters and stats, membership rolls of virtually any organization, birth and death notices, etc.

Maryn, who keeps a Names file

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
I usually create the character first and then go back later and name them. Sometimes I'll even just use a placeholder that's easy to do a find/change on so when I finally hit on something I like, it's easy to replace them all. It probably doesn't matter too much in the long run. The only time I've ever noticed a character's name is when it felt heavy handed (e.g. Ellen Bravefellow as the courageous heroine). Although I will say what drives me crazy, and you see it more in TV than in novels, is the "clever" title that's only clever because of the main character's name. Think "This winter, Brian Fool is on the adventure of a lifetime in 'Fool's Gold'..." Groan.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what names I'll use until I write them down in the story. When the character appears, I slap a name on him, and that's that. Far more often than not, I use the name of someone I know, or have known.

The exception is when I need a name from a culture or country I'm not familiar with, and then I have to do a bit of research, which usually just means going to an English newspaper from that country, or a phone book from that country, and grabbing the first common name I find.

I don't believe in name meaning, unless there's some special story need for it. I don't care what a name means, and I don't think readers do, either.

I also don't believe in hard to pronounce names, unless the character has a very easy to pronounce nickname.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
James and I are in accord. I hate meaningful names, too-clever names, or names the reader can't pronounce on sight. Hiro Protagonist made me cringe, even though I liked the book.

Maryn, who was surprised to learn many online friends aren't sure how to say Maryn

pdichellis

Murder! You want fries with that?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
murderandfries.wordpress.com
I spend time on random name generators finding distinctive character names I like. Usually, I combine parts of different generated names and/or change the spelling.

I prefer distinctive names for main characters because names are "discretionary words" that give the writer a lot of freedom to choose, and the main characters' names typically appear many times in a story.

So because the reader will see these characters' names (i.e., words) repeatedly, I'd rather use distinctive names than common ones. But I also confess that finding distinctive names can be a tedious chore, not worth the effort for every character in every story.

I also agree with the comment above advising against "pun" names like Bravefellow, etc. And I'll definitely try the imdb listings, also suggested above. Bet imdb has some great possibilities.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
If a name doesn't immediately come to me, I go to the Social Security Baby Name website and look up the top 1000 names for the year the character was born. I skim that and pick a name. If I think the character's parents were the sort who would give their children popular names, then I look mostly at the top names. If I think the parents would have given them something more unique, I skip the first 50 or so...Something like that.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I spend time on random name generators finding distinctive character names I like. Usually, I combine parts of different generated names and/or change the spelling.

I prefer distinctive names for main characters because names are "discretionary words" that give the writer a lot of freedom to choose, and the main characters' names typically appear many times in a story.

So because the reader will see these characters' names (i.e., words) repeatedly, I'd rather use distinctive names than common ones. But I also confess that finding distinctive names can be a tedious chore, not worth the effort for every character in every story.

I also agree with the comment above advising against "pun" names like Bravefellow, etc. And I'll definitely try the imdb listings, also suggested above. Bet imdb has some great possibilities.

I think using "distinctive" names is a fine line. I don't mind an unusual name for the protagonist, as long as it isn't too strange, and there's a reason for using it, but one of the reason I really don't like distinctive names is precisely because I will have to read it a bunch of times in the course of a novel.

I do like what Dean Koontz did in naming his Odd Thomas character. Odd fits him, but it's really a mistake of his birth certificate that was never corrected. Is name is supposed to be "Todd" not "Odd".

I prefer common names for the protagonist, and any distinctive name fr a secondary character. I believe the character makes the name, not the other way around, which is why chacaracters such as James Kirk, James West, Harry Potter, Travis Mcgee, Spenser, who didn't even have a first name we knew until the end of the series, etc., are still immensely popular, despite having very common names. The character make steh name special.

There are reason to use more distinctive names, but there is a fine line, and I think you need a reason for using one, and I think the character needs to react to his name realistically.

A also like common names for the protagonist because it links him with common people, and readers are common people.

But, yeah, sometimes a distinctive name can work, if the writer handles it properly, and has the protagonist and other characters react to it properly.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. I have never given a character an unusual name. I must have a dozen or so stories with a Dave. They are not connected and all my Daves are vastly different. But I am starting to think about a collection. I am producing a short story collection for my thesis, and I just can't have this many Daves.

The new story I am working on has placeholders for names. There is "the mother," "the son" and "the visitor." However, there is also a minor character that I named right away as I was writing. I don't know why I was able to name him and not the others.

Maybe the names aren't so important, but I feel like a name really becomes part of an identity. I'm not looking for crazy or unusual names, just names that fit. With another one of my recent stories, there were a lot of characters. I actually brainstormed names with a friend and wrote them all on a white board so I could look at them for a few days and think about which names should go with which characters.

CatchVonnegut

Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. I have never given a character an unusual name. I must have a dozen or so stories with a Dave. They are not connected and all my Daves are vastly different. But I am starting to think about a collection. I am producing a short story collection for my thesis, and I just can't have this many Daves.

Haha. Your Dave is my Steve.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is interesting. I have never given a character an unusual name. I must have a dozen or so stories with a Dave. They are not connected and all my Daves are vastly different.
You need to read this. You'll like it, I promise, and it's quite short.

Maryn, a.k.a. Moon Face

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
You need to read this. You'll like it, I promise, and it's quite short.

Maryn, a.k.a. Moon Face

This is great. I feel like I'm not alone anymore when it comes to naming everyone Dave. Thanks for the link. It's like that poem was written for me. lol

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Love that poem, Maryn.

Have a look at Nick Earls' short story 'The Goatflap Brothers and the House of Names', in which the narrator searches for the perfect name for himself. He believes that by changing his name, he can change his life.

ETA: It won't help create names for characters, but it does underline the significance of the 'right' name.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
How do you name your characters? How do you decide if Peter is really a Richard?

What's a Richard? I know a bunch of Richards. The only thing they have in common is being humans.

Same can be said of Peters, Roberts, Johns, Kates, Marys, Angelas, Rachels, Jameses . . .

An ethnically-related name might carry some degree of meaning (Mohammed, Guillermo, Pavel, etc.), but even in those instances I, as reader, don't have an inkling what the name means for their characters or what actions they engage in.

caw

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
The name just sort of 'comes' as I write the character, but having said that, I also enjoy walking through cemeteries.

You would be surprised at what 'old names' are new again.

But also what old names still are old. Hepzibah comes to mind. There are two of them in the cemetery across from my house.

BrianJamesFreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrianJamesFreeman.com
I realized that I have too many Daves in my stories. I have to stop using that name.

All of my character names seem to default to a few common names like this -- to the point that I know when I type Richard while trying to get a rough draft on paper that obviously the name won't be Richard when I revise, but Richard holds the spot for now!

Brian

BrianJamesFreeman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BrianJamesFreeman.com
I also don't believe in hard to pronounce names, unless the character has a very easy to pronounce nickname.

Yeah, it's never fun stumbling over a strange name again and again in an otherwise interesting story.

I once read a submission with a character named Diarmiditinialiamita. She became "Denise" in my head for the sake of conserving processing power.

Brian

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: It won't help create names for characters, but it does underline the significance of the 'right' name.

There is no "right" name, unless you're trying to be punny.

If your characters needs a "right" name, you need a better character.

Type40Human

Registered
Reaction score
How do you name your characters? How do you decide if Peter is really a Richard? And do you know your characters' names when you start a story or is this something that comes after you've written part or all of the story?

Writing short stories all the time, we are always creating new characters, and they all need names. I realized that I have too many Daves in my stories. I have to stop using that name. And sometimes I start off with one name and realize it is the wrong name once I write more about them.

I know names might not be that important, but this is something I struggle with sometimes. How important are character names? How do the names you choose usually suit the characters?

Choosing character names is one of my favourite parts of writing! I often get one come to me out of nowhere and a new character is born, along with their background and future, within a few minutes. But also other times I'll think of a character and then change their name a dozen or more times (actually, a lot more than that) before I settle. I'm quite used to thinking up names as I've had a lot of pets over the years, and have many now lol.

My favourite name I've come up with is Rufus Tydd-Fox - he's a middle-aged jewellery merchant on a steampunk type of world. I went to a few steampunk name generator websites, and got some great ideas. :) I thought of the time he was living in, his job and status in the community, and obviously the fact it's all steampunk-ish on his home world. He had to have a name that suited him.

You can go through your family tree - an ancestor's name can be handy. I have a character for something new I'm writing, she's called Evelyn-Rose Dowse. Dowse is a family name of ours. Evelyn-Rose is a very dainty little girl, living in a well-off family, set around the 1910's/1920's, so I wanted the name, again, to suit her, to suit the time, the fact she's in a middle-class family, etc.

A trick I used to do in my teens for fantasy names of planets, cities and people, was turn off predictive text on my phone, jab away at the keys, and try to make an interesting name out of what I'd end up with, and obviously making sure it could be pronounced because fantasy names are often ridiculous. I came up with the name 'Elsamyth' and absolutely fell in love with it. I planned for it to be shorten to 'Elsa' as she got older - this was years before Frozen came out, by the way lol.

What I've done a lot in recent years is use baby name websites, also a site called 20,000 Names. I've got amazing names from the latter as it uses all kinds of culture names, animal names, object names, weather names, season names, every kind of name you can think of! It's a fantastic site, and even gives meanings to the names. I found a couple on there I loved - Seren and Afon.

Um... I can't think of anything else, other than looking into song titles with names in, author's you're a fan of, celebs you're a fan of. All kinds of places you can get a name from, and mould a character around it, or vice versa. :)

I've actually never written about a Dave. I've had a David though, in a story I wrote when I was 14, and he had a brother called Peter - I was going through a Monkees phase. I don't like using the same names twice, but that's a personal thing.

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
"Jack" is apparently my go-to placeholder male name, looking back. I blame too much Stargate watching in the 90s.

For historical names, you can't go wrong with the Academy of Saint Gabriel. Their official purpose is researching names for re-enactors, but they've got piles of period-correct and sourced lists for many, many cultures post-Rome to pre-Enlightenment-ish.

For instance, did you know that 'Tiffany' is a form of a name that first appeared in the 14th century in France? I couldn't get away with writing a romance between Tiffany and Sidney set then -- modern skepticism would never suspend disbelief for that -- but it pleases me immensely to know that it would be correct.

We did not find <Typhainne> as an English name. <Typhainne> is a French
form of <Tiffany>, or <Theophania>. We find the spelling <Tyffany> recorded
in the 15th century, and <Tiffany> in 1315. [2] Other forms that we found
are [9]

<Teffan> 1379
<Thiphania> 1327
<Tiffan> 1379
<Tiffania> 1323
<Tiphina> 1322

Status
Not open for further replies.