Are you better at writing is 1st or 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
The majority of my stories are in first person. They are also in present tense. This is just how ideas usually pour out and turn into stories. I am comfortable writing this way, but I also want to mix things up. Now, I am trying to write third person in past tense. I have a good story going, but I can't help but wondering if I am making the right POV choice. How do you decide POV for a story and how often do you mix things up? Do you think it is important to develop skills writing for different POVs? Are you better at first or third? Do you stick with what you feel works or do you try new things? I just don't want to ruin a story by making the wrong POV choice.

I recently took one of my older stories and rewrote it, changing it from first person to third person. All this did was confuse me, and I have no idea which version is better.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I'm better at either first or third--I've written decent stories in both (and one or two in second as well). Most in past, but a handful in present when I wanted the additional immediacy it gives.

Does a writer have to be comfortable writing in different tenses and POV? Probably not, but you'll be more flexible if you can. You might come up with a great idea that won't quite work in first present, and have more of a struggle getting it out if you don't already have some experience with third person past.

Finish the story you're writing, then read it over to see if it works in the tense you've given it. If not, try another angle. What have you got to lose?

Oh--one more thing. If you feel stuck, go read some short stories. No, a lot of short stories. Books full of them. See if you can work out what works and what doesn't in other writers' stories, and whether you can apply that to your own. Best of luck!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm better in first, but adequate in third and getting better through practice.

I think it's terrific training for me--and probably for you and other writers, too--to write outside the zone in which we are comfortable, changing person and tense, changing tone and style, changing everything, until we are at ease in all of them. Only then can we write the story in the way which serves that particular story best.

Maryn, still working at getting good in third

TessB

The Boxing Baroness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tessbowery.com
I'm a third-person writer, pretty much full-stop. I can't think of anything I've written in first person (which means it's probably time for me to try!), but I did win a competition decades ago with a short story written in the second-person. That was a fun experiment, but another one I don't think I'll ever repeat. Third's just much more comfortable.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a third-person writer, pretty much full-stop. I can't think of anything I've written in first person (which means it's probably time for me to try!), but I did win a competition decades ago with a short story written in the second-person. That was a fun experiment, but another one I don't think I'll ever repeat. Third's just much more comfortable.

Same. I have a lot of trouble writing in first person.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
First. I enjoy reading first person more than third, though I like both, so most of what I write is first. In fiction, I'd say eighty percent of my sales have been first person.

I don't write present tense, though, regardless of first, second, or third. Can't stand reading present tense, so I don't write it, either.

Cwright

Mmm... Mexican Food
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is absolutely crucial that you've recognized you are much more comfortable with 1st person. Stick to that for sure whenever it makes sense. It comes down to what you want the reader to know.

Do you want your reader to view the story and world through a single lens and one mind? Then 1st person is the best shot. However, if you want to open up a bit and do a birds eye view or hop around with characters, it may be wise to do 3rd person.

I've noticed lately that many bestellers have been 1st person. I believe it is easier to write for many people and is also very easy to connect with because, as a reader, you instantly put yourself into the MC's shoes.

I've often wondered the same thing and have struggled with it as well because it such a big decision that will impact the tone of the story. Good luck!

amyall

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scribery.net

Do you want your reader to view the story and world through a single lens and one mind? Then 1st person is the best shot. However, if you want to open up a bit and do a birds eye view or hop around with characters, it may be wise to do 3rd person.

Good luck!

I think this is great advice. For me, the decision always comes down to the story itself. Do I have a team of people I'll be writing about or just one single main character? First person can capture a good deal of intense emotion but it lacks the flexibility to see around corners and let the reader in on what everyone else is feeling.

I write in 1st and 3rd about equally but generally use 1st for YA Dystopian and 3rd for Adult Sci-Fi. I think each genre tends to have its own expectations for POV.

Best of luck!!
-A

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write more third person past tense, but I don't have a system for determining which to use for any particular story. Each one just has its own feel. I've only rarely changed the POV or tense from the first draft onward.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
It really depends on the story. I've done first present and third past, both limited and omni. I even did an experimental flash fiction piece in second person present.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I find I speak more naturally in a first/second cross-over. My reasoning is this: for a long time I thought of it as reader participation, you are the MC and the other MC speaks to you as if you were there.

I am sitting in a chair, do you enjoy your soup? My maids are the top chefs of the land. You may wonder why I have called upon you. You are a very special case. Your uncle was a great friend. Experimental stuff sort of like that.

Short fiction exclusive at the moment.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to go for first person because I'm more comfortable with it. I like the closeness. I have made an effort to write some short stories in third this year, though, so I can get better at it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that many bestellers have been 1st person. I believe it is easier to write for many people and is also very easy to connect with because, as a reader, you instantly put yourself into the MC's shoes.

!

First probably is easier for most to write, but if slush piles are any indication, it's far tougher for most to write well. New wrietrs are usually warned away from first for just this reason. It's rare to find a first person story by a new writer, or any writer, that's written well enough to buy.

I tend to think it comes down to reading habits. Unless you love reading first person, and read a heck of a lot of it, writing it well enough to sell is pretty darned tough.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Most of what I write is in first, too. I never gave it much thought. It's just the way my first stories came to me, in first.

Later on, I tried third and it worked, too. As for writing in present tense, I like it more than I thought I would. I've also written a few shorts in first person, present tense.

You know, I don't think about these things much. (Just need to be honest, not everyone debates these kinds of things.) I just write what the story seems to need. It's sort of like learning to ride a bike; once you know how to do it, you don't think about it. Or playing a musical instrument, you just seem to know what works best for the story.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
That's the thing, I don't get the debate between 1st and 3rd. I used to mainly do first, then tried doing mostly third. But in my situation came off as distant.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually don't consciously think about it but it's most often first person. I've noticed that I (subconsciously) tend to write it in third person if the character does something bad, though. :p

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
I have two out of maybe 20 short stories in first person, and one of those two was published.

iMO, way too many of the short story magazines I have researched publish way too many first person stories. No exaggeration, I have read through some of these literary magazines and found zero shorts in anything other than first. Hard to believe but it has happened. I think first is over used. But who knows, others may see it differently.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I fail with equal facility in both narrative POVs. And I can't abide second-person narrative.

I think for the next thing I write I'll try fourth-person.

caw

Last edited:

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
I have two out of maybe 20 short stories in first person, and one of those two was published.

iMO, way too many of the short story magazines I have researched publish way too many first person stories. No exaggeration, I have read through some of these literary magazines and found zero shorts in anything other than first. Hard to believe but it has happened. I think first is over used. But who knows, others may see it differently.

I agree. The proliferation of first person grates sometimes. I like to see different things in my stories.

I feel like some presses have been better about it lately, though. With new places like Uncanny and Fantastic Stories popping up and taking risks, I see other publishers shaking off their dust. It's nice. I prefer to read a story that takes a risk, rather than a story that reads like the physical average of the last three issues. There were a few big name magazines that for awhile there, I could flip to any page and tell you with 80% accuracy what the story would contain. Hopefully they'll knock that off.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

I find just the opposite to be true. There isn't enough first out there to suit my taste, though we may read different magazines. Having said this, the only real difference between first and third person limited is distance between POV character and reader. This is true of every POV. The entire point of a particular person is how much distance separates POV character and reader.

First is closest, and omniscient is the most distant.

I really don't see nearly as much first as you do, however, and in the large picture, first in only about five percent of the total market. Third person limited is almost ninety percent of the market, while second and omniscient fill in the gap. Dramatic shows up every seventh blue moon, but not often enough to even show up on a pie chart.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. The proliferation of first person grates sometimes. I like to see different things in my stories.

I feel like some presses have been better about it lately, though. With new places like Uncanny and Fantastic Stories popping up and taking risks, I see other publishers shaking off their dust. It's nice. I prefer to read a story that takes a risk, rather than a story that reads like the physical average of the last three issues. There were a few big name magazines that for awhile there, I could flip to any page and tell you with 80% accuracy what the story would contain. Hopefully they'll knock that off.

We have extremely different views of the short stories out there. Though I have no idea at all why first person and lack of risk are mentioned in the same paragraph?

HoosierJoe

Registered
Reaction score
I find just the opposite to be true. There isn't enough first out there to suit my taste, though we may read different magazines. Having said this, the only real difference between first and third person limited is distance between POV character and reader. This is true of every POV. The entire point of a particular person is how much distance separates POV character and reader.

First is closest, and omniscient is the most distant.

I really don't see nearly as much first as you do, however, and in the large picture, first in only about five percent of the total market. Third person limited is almost ninety percent of the market, while second and omniscient fill in the gap. Dramatic shows up every seventh blue moon, but not often enough to even show up on a pie chart.
Could be a matter of what we read being different. I tend to research the small "literary" outlets and stay away from the genre publications. Mainstream literature maybe? Contemporary?

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I write 90% of my stuff in third limited POV. I also tend to use multiple POVs, so third makes more sense to me. I recently wrote a story that I didn't even realize was in first person till I was done. It just spilled out naturally that way. Odd experience.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Could be a matter of what we read being different. I tend to research the small "literary" outlets and stay away from the genre publications. Mainstream literature maybe? Contemporary?

I read quite a few literary magazines, roughly a dozen on a regular basis, but very few of the small ones, so this might be the difference. I also read magazines such as The New Yorker, and most genre magazines.

Status
Not open for further replies.