Status
Not open for further replies.

passiontowrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.debtsettlement.vg
Hello,

I am providing you a list of what I consider to be the top 5 sites where writers and bloggers can make extra money writing what they enjoy. Enjoy.

eHow.com

eHow.com offers writers a chance not only to earn money but also a chance to improve upon your writing skills by writing. At eHow.com you can choose from a huge range of topics that you would want to write about.

Textbroker

At Textbroker you can sell your articles at reasonably fair rates. A great thing about Textbroker is that you'll get paid up front for your written work. If your work gets a high rating from their staff, you are then free to accept higher paying assignments. I use Textbroker regularly when I'm short in time and need an article written about anything. For more details visit textbroker dot com

Xomba

Xomba is one of the most enjoyable sites for writing. This site has an active and supportive community of authors. You'll love the high level of international membership. For more information visit: xomba dot com

Squidoo

Squidoo has been around for a number of years. It is a fun place where your writing entries are called lenses. You collect 50% of ad revenue. You can become an expert in any field and get paid for sharing your expertise. Squidoo allows you to write articles, add pictures, and even add your favorite links. For more details visit: squidoo dot com

Hubpages

Hubpages is among the top 500 most popular English-language pages on the web. If your articles are good, you would receive great feedback from readers. Here you can post articles, photos, and other features. Hubpages provides a number of ad revenue earning avenues to use on your pages. Hubpages gets 40% and you receive 60% from the ad revenue generated. Since Google loves Hubpages, they often get ranked quite high in the search results. Because of this, writers have a better chance to make more money by writing articles with Hubpages. One freelance writer at Hubpages is making $1500 a month. I heard that others are earning more.

For more details visit: hubpages dot com

Last edited by a moderator:

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
While I applaud your enthusiasm, this doesn't strike me as a good list. Textbroker typically pays a penny a word for new writers. Occasionally, for exceptional new writers they pay 1.4 cents a word. Hardly what I would call a living. Even if you get picked to be one of the their 5 point writers, they don't pay enough for what's expected and in all the time I spent there, I never saw exactly two five point jobs. Most of the jobs pay just .7 cents a word.

Xomba Squidoo and Hubpages are all relatively low rated content sites and I know of no one who sees them as really high quality income sources. While you can make some money on them, Suite 101 and Examiner are generally considered better bets (though truth be told, I haven't had much success with either of them as well).

Ehow, yes you can make some money, but since the reputation for ehow is kind of a mixed bag, you don't exactly rake in piles of cash.

Better choices: Demand Studios, Content Divas, Suite 101, Examiner.com and Wisegeek.

Just my 2 cents.

Eric

BookFaerie

Registered
Reaction score
IMO a combination of both of your posts is the better bet. I write for text broker, then I am working to use the research I did for those articles to write my Suite content. I get the instant gratification of ten or twenty bucks (I'm a 4 star on textbroker) as well as the opportunity for residual income. While I can't (and don't) copy my text word for word, combining the effort to create two articles for the price of one is giving me the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time working for any of th ose places considering what they pay. Ive got several at eHow and I do an occasstional Demand Studios but for the most part I like my private clients. Thats the only way I can afford to pay the bills.

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
Better choices: Demand Studios, Content Divas, Suite 101, Examiner.com and Wisegeek.

Eric

Eric, would you mind sharing the process for getting a writing gig with Content Divas? I've explored the website some, but can't seem to find any information about how to apply to write for them.

Thanks!

eric11210

Registered
Reaction score
Just use the contact us form and say that you are interested in writing for them. They'll e-mail you all the details if they're hiring at the time.

Eric

KT Golightly

Fixed it. I think.
Registered
Reaction score
Just use the contact us form and say that you are interested in writing for them. They'll e-mail you all the details if they're hiring at the time.

Eric

Ok. Thanks.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Top 5? Sorry, not even close, unless you mean Top 5 Revenue Share.

The only way Textbroker can be considered even close to a fair rate is if I choose to live below the poverty level. I applied, received 4 star rating and still wouldn't take the trash offered there.

When you see forum posters that rite lik thiz and writ fur Txt Brkr, it makes sense to avoid the spam pit. (Not this forum, must edit to add. this was another forum when I went looking for writing jobs)

Ehow, I use. Get a decent bit of hits.
Hubpages, not worth my time, I'll make more revenue with my own blog and posting Adsense/Amazon. Why share it?
Xomba- Nice enough people. I wouldn't rate it as one of the most enjoyable. It's the same as the others.

This list is great if you're new to content writing and you really don't care to make more than pocket change. Hate to be the party pooper, but even if I ignore the fact that the OP included a link to their own Hubpage on their SECOND post...this list stinks.

Last edited:

EnkelZ

Registered
Reaction score
I had some stuff up on eHow that was getting good traffic because I was using seasonally specific keywords... then they went through and deleted articles with no explanation. Many people were extremely angry.

They deleted one of my articles and the explanation given (that I can remember) was that the title didn't match the article. For an uneducated person in the topic area, that might have seemed true. But anyone who searching that keyword would have gone straight to that title and expected the content. Either way, it didn't matter because the article wasn't tagges as off-line or put into a draft mode, it was completely deleted from the site without warning and explanation was only provided after much fuming by hundreds of people.

In the end I deleted about 20 articles and posted a forwarding link under my description (you can't actually delete an account there). Revenue sharing is a bad enough proposition, but I would never recommend eHow because of how they operate.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Poor list. I agree with the others.

Top Paying Sites (Flat Rate) (These are actually low paying but at least decent.)

LoveToKnow
Demand Studios
wiseGeek
Internet Brands
Bright Hub

Top Paying Passive Income Sites

Your Own Blog/Website
About.com
Suite101
eHow (I've had pretty good success with the handful I've submitted here.)

jackbency

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am providing you a list of what I consider to be the top 5 sites where writers and bloggers can make extra money writing what they enjoy. Enjoy.

eHow.com

eHow.com offers writers a chance not only to earn money but also a chance to improve upon your writing skills by writing. At eHow.com you can choose from a huge range of topics that you would want to write about.

Textbroker

At Textbroker you can sell your articles at reasonably fair rates. A great thing about Textbroker is that you'll get paid up front for your written work. If your work gets a high rating from their staff, you are then free to accept higher paying assignments. I use Textbroker regularly when I'm short in time and need an article written about anything. For more details visit

Xomba

Xomba is one of the most enjoyable sites for writing. This site has an active and supportive community of authors. You'll love the high level of international membership. For more information visit:

Squidoo

Squidoo has been around for a number of years. It is a fun place where your writing entries are called lenses. You collect 50% of ad revenue. You can become an expert in any field and get paid for sharing your expertise. Squidoo allows you to write articles, add pictures, and even add your favorite links. For more details visit:

Hubpages

Hubpages is among the top 500 most popular English-language pages on the web. If your articles are good, you would receive great feedback from readers. Here you can post articles, photos, and other features. Hubpages provides a number of ad revenue earning avenues to use on your pages. Hubpages gets 40% and you receive 60% from the ad revenue generated. Since Google loves Hubpages, they often get ranked quite high in the search results. Because of this, writers have a better chance to make more money by writing articles with Hubpages. One freelance writer at Hubpages is making $1500 a month. I heard that others are earning more.

For more details visit:

I am thankful for this useful guidance about Content sites. They have high PR and this sites helps to increase our website or webpage. I have used Hub pages but except it I didn't know about another sites. I need more websites for increase traffic of my website.

Last edited by a moderator:

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
LoveToKnow pays $20 or $25 per article, I believe. About.com pays $600 0r $700 per month plus traffic bonuses (but I could be wrong because it's been a while since I've been around either site.) Text Broker is on the low end isn't it?

Demand Studios raised it's LiveStrong rates to $30 per article and many of their articles pay $15 - $80 so that should probably be on the list as well.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Break Studios pays $8 per article but the topics are a lot of fun and really, really easy to write. Word count is a minimum of 250 words and you don't get annoying rewrites!

The Don

Life is My Illusion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
humanistenvironmentalist.blogspot.com
I applied for Break Studios yesterday. It says it generally takes less than 72 hours to get a response. I haven't heard anything yet, not even an an application confirmation e-mail. Is this normal? What is the usual process?

I write for Demand Studios occasionally but I'm looking for something I can exhibit a little more personality in. The featured contributor program at AC helps with cash, but I only get three $10 articles a month. I'm looking to transistion into full time freelancing and am hoping Break Studios can be part of the mix.

Any feedback about Break Studios is appreciated.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
I've been writing for Suite101 since Oct 2006, and I really like it. I earn at least $600 a month (income fluctuates, according to reader clicky clicky) -- and I get alot more than money out of it. Suite has a great writer's forum, fantastic web writing tutorials, and is a strong source of traffic to my blogs (through my writer's profile).

Different content sites work for different people, for different reasons! I've never tried Examiner, for instance, but I've heard people rave about it...and others cut it to pieces. Same with Suite, and about.com, and Demand, and all of 'em.

I guess the best way to find out which site works best for you is to give it a try. The worst thing that happens is you don't get accepted as a writer...or you do get accepted and you don't like it. Either way, at least you'll know!

The Don

Life is My Illusion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
humanistenvironmentalist.blogspot.com
The Don,

I applied to Break Studios last Saturday and just got my acceptance this afternoon. I didn't get a confirmation email either.

Good luck!

A little late but thought I would follow up here. I was accepted to Break Studios but haven't written for them yet, as I'm having difficulties finding titles I want to write for. Considering textbroker, but not sure if it's worth my time to write the sample article. I write mainly for DS and AC right now.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Just got accepted to Demand Studios and Examiner.com. DS came through really fast approving me, and I'm on my 7th article as of yesterday. I sent my bio/photo into Examiner four days ago and haven't heard anything yet. Does examiner take a while to get you going once you've sent in your bio and photo?

So far, the money is great to me because I've been so damn busted. I should have done this years ago. All my novels are finished, and I will not write anymore unless my agent has a contract in hand. For the meantime, I go like hell writing non-fic automotive.

Tri

Bettedra

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about reapplying to break studios after rejection?

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Just signed up to AC only to find you need to be American to get paid. Do many of these other sites have such limitations?

littlebear91

Never Let Go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
littlebearz.com
I don't get why people would use blogspot and not their own blog.theirdomain.com, I mean, it only cost around $10 bucks per year + bandwidth fees, that's like $50 max for the whole darn year if you are crazy on text.

Status
Not open for further replies.