Snake eats crocodile in queensland lake!

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/03/snake-eats-crocodile-in-queensland-lake

Not sure where to post this but yeah, the title says it all! I've never heard of anything like this!

Here's a green anaconda swallowing a common caiman.

That has to be either one pathetic croc or a hell of a snake. Thoughts?

It was only a very small freshwater croc, but quite a big olive python.* There are some more pics here.

*The papers are referring to it as a water python, which is a different -- and smaller -- species. I'm pretty sure that's an olive python, but I'll check.

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
It's not that uncommon. I've been looking around since this first got posted, I was mainly concerned it wasn't a native snake. Good to know it's just a large specimen of a native species eating a small croc.

What with all the attention given to the thousands of poisonous things that live in Australia, I never even knew they had native constrictors.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It's not that uncommon. I've been looking around since this first got posted, I was mainly concerned it wasn't a native snake. Good to know it's just a large specimen of a native species eating a small croc.

What with all the attention given to the thousands of poisonous things that live in Australia, I never even knew they had native constrictors.

The only invasive snake (that I can think of off the top of my head) is one of the blind snakes (Typhlopidae), so we're doing well in that area -- compared to our other invasives!

Thirteen python species, which puts them well in the minority compared to venomous snakes.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That's a risky meal to take on, but success means Mr. (or Ms.) python won't have to eat again for quite a while.

Of course, it's sort of vulnerable as it sits there digesting. If a bigger croc comes along now...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I saw a picture (xray) in a reptile book once of a snake that ate a snake that ate a snake. It was a large king cobra, that had swallowed a smaller king cobra that had swallowed an Indian cobra.

Endless tubes within tubes.