Refresher warning about Xylitol

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've talked about this before, back in December of '06, but I keep seeing cases popping up and thought it might be prudent to repeat:
(plus I can add my learned advice and nagging) :D

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/oct06/061001b.asp

When ingested by dogs, xylitol causes a dangerous surge in insulin. In as little as 15 minutes, the blood sugar of a dog that has eaten gum containing Xylitol may register a marked drop in blood sugar. At higher doses, Xylitol is believed toxic to the canine liver.

Just three grams of Xylitol can kill at 65-pound dog. Because the amount of sweetener used in sugar-free chewing gums varies by manufacturer and product, the number of sticks of gum that would prove fatal to a pooch of that size can't be stated with precision.

As to how to prevent such poisonings, recognize that dogs are long on sweet tooth and short on judgement and act accordingly. Put sugar-free gums and candies where dogs can't get them. Keep chewable vitamins out of the way too. And if you bake with Xylitol, store the items you've made well out of your dog's reach and do NOT hand-feed them bits of Xylitol-laced muffin or cookie as a treat, no matter what!

*steps up onto soapbox*

I take issue with feeding animals any form of people-food as a treat, based on my years in the business and the results I've seen. Clearly, though, we all do on occasion. So please, for the safety and well-being of your pets, keep these treats to the known and relatively harmless ones.
With a dog, giving him a bite of your steak, the occasional cheeseburger after he's narrowly escaped a car accident, maybe the leftovers from your plate of spaghetti - okay, we can all live happy long lives with that.

Purchased doggie treats are getting more and more dangerous, and I'd beg of you all to stick to the ones already proven safe and healthy. And did you know that many of the dog food brands you feed Fido also make a treat? These are just their regular, healthy kibble with a tad bit more added fats and flavors.

Safe, yummy, but still not to be overdone.

If you really want to treat Spot, how's about you give him some extra lovin'? Maybe a new toy. Treat him to a good belly rubbin'.

Keep the edibles to a minimum, and make sure they're safe and healthy first.

Your food isn't their food. You're a human. They're not.
(reminds me of a funny story from my days in the hospital, but I'll save that for later) :D

*steps off soapbox, wipes hands together, goes in search of a sugar-filled cookie*

JanH1961

Registered
Reaction score
Also remember it may be in sugar free candy, mints and other things also. Many think because they don't have gum they're safe but have sugar free candy with xylatol in it

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. Some peanut butter brands are beginning to use Xylitol in their products to lower sugar and calories. This has been confined, so far, to specialty brands, and major brands don't seem to have followed suit. Still, because many people give peanut butter as a treat in kongs or to hide pills, it's worth being vigilant about for the future, just in case it becomes a big marketing thing.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
(looks over his shoulder at the cupboard where there's a box of Xylitol-based "sugar" packets for coffee)
...I have hypoglycemia. Also, I noticed Xylitol-based products are getting cheaper, which is why I buy them. However, they also tend to taste gross. Back to sugar it is.

Edited: I toootally missed that this was in the "Animals and Nature" section and somehow thought it was in a food-related thread. I am so sorry for being off-topic. Should I erase this or just leave it?

Last edited: