Help

[simon]

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am writing a memoir, I use a computer to write through out the day. Some days I sit there with a blank mind and have no idea what to write about a specific event.

Should I use paper to jot things down as and when I think of them so that I can refer to the notes when I am in front of the computer ??

Sometimes I think jotting down on paper is a waist of time if I am just going to copy it on to the computer document. But then again it could be good for times when I sit there with blank mind...

Is using paper to jot things down anytime a waist of time if I am just copying it by typing it on to the computer ???

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use a computer and paper. If it works for you, use it. Nothing is a waste of time if it helps you get the work done.

A suggestion: Don't just sit there with a blank mind. Find something that works for you. For me, a good walk is the best cure for being stuck. Other people can "make themselves" get to work. For others, setting a writing time and sticking to it works (during that time they write something, even if they think it's trash at the time).

Is English a second language for you?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Welcome, Simon!

Yes, it does help to write things down on paper first. At least it did for me. I made a quick list of all the life episodes I wanted to include and referred to the list when I was stuck.

I agree with Alley Cat that taking walks can be helpful. Also, you might want to play music from the era you're writing about. That helped me too.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just published my memoir- it was a bear! Do whatever you need to do to get it done- none of it is a waste of time. Good for you!!!

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
Hi Simon,

How far along are you in your memoir?

Write down anything on anything whenever you can. It might start off as just a small spark of an idea, but when you go to transfer it to the computer it may spark other ideas, or it may already be blossoming into something very cool and the words will just flow from it.

If you are sitting at your computer with a blank mind trying to write about a specific event, perhaps you are thinking too hard on trying to write about that specific event? I would suggest that you don't try to force the writing. Just start putting words on the screen and see where it takes you. Sometimes the mind just needs to get in the flow of things.

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
I like to come to the computer armed with notes - that gets me over the starting-at-a-blank-screen hurdle. I carry a journal with me wherever I go so when I get ideas or think "ah, yea, I really ought to include that," I remember. Forget about expecting the first draft to be good or even decent, and just roll up your sleeves and write!