How to edit on SYW

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I have searched but can't seem to find anything( I'm sure it's here somewhere).
How do you edit someone work in SYW when you are trying to give a critique . I would like to produce a text box with the the ability to edit in different colours and strike out words with a line- I see other AWs doing this but can't figure it out.
Please can someone point me in the right direction
Thanks

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can quote the original post (using the Quote function at the lower right), then use the usual text tools (color, strikeout, etc.) to do your edits. It's probably better if you do it in Advanced and preview your post.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For example.

Hi

I have searched but can't seem to find anything( I'm sure it's here somewhere).
How do you edit someone work in SYW when you are trying to give a critique . I would like to produce a text box with the the ability to edit in different colours and strike out words with a line- I see other AWs doing this but can't figure it out.
Please can someone point me in the right direction
Thanks

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
psyche, if you're not familiar with the text tools, fear not. They're easy to do from the keyboard or from the Go Advanced form for each post.

To italicize, for instance, you type in the symbols for starting and ending italics. They use regular brackets (these: [ and ]) but I will use curly brackets to show you how it works, so you can see the brackets rather than the results.

This will be {I}italicized{/I}. It doesn't matter if the letter I is capital or lower case. You do the same thing for {B}bold{/B} face, with the letter b. To {S}strikeout{/S}, use the letter s.

Colors are slightly more complex, but not real hard. (I'm a low tech person, and I can do it. So can you.) You start with {COLOR="Red"}then type your text you want red, then type {/COLOR}. Don't forget the quotation marks, though, or it won't work.

Feel free to practice here, if you like. As Alleycat said, it's perhaps easier from the Advance posting, where you can select/highlight the text you want italicized or in another color, then click on the icon to make it so. I find it handy to know both methods.

Maryn, who remembers all this being mystifying

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Maryn, that explanation really helped. Finally did it.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yippee! Show me something.

Maryn, aware that kind of came out wrong

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn, aware that kind of came out wrong

Maryn, I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

On a serious note. I do most of my reading on a kindle, with its virtual keyboard. It doesn't lend itself to the use of cut and paste, and other tools we take for granted on Word. And the auto correct is my nemesis.

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
Here we go

"Maryn", aware that kind of came out wrong

Haven't figured out how to get the little box but I'm getting there.

Thanks again

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
Well I guess thats how you get the box!!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ta-daaaa! Now use it for purposes of good, and when you see someone new struggling, you can help them out.

Maryn, showing her dimple

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My pleasure. I am sometimes reminded there are lots and lots of people like my sister and my cousin, neither at ease with computer and internet "tricks" which are simple to people with more experience. I figure anybody who's serious about writing is plenty smart enough, just needs a clear explanation and lots of practice.

(My sister struggles to use email. She clicks on Reply, but can't figure out how to move the cursor to the box.The mouse mystifies her. My cousin emails but is scared to have her own account, so it always looks like her husband is emailing. Plus she doesn't use BCC so she gives my email address to everyone on her list. Sigh.)

Maryn, like them, yet not

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
If I want to edit portions of a quote out, I still have to leave the QUOTE and code in brackets, correct? I wasn't sure quite how to do this, so I'm testing below:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yop! You hit the quote button to quote the whole post, then just delete the parts which are not what you want to remark upon. So long as you don't delete the {quote} and {/quote} tags (only made with normal brackets [ and ] ) it'll work.

Maryn, glad to see you figured that out and hoping to show others how you did it

psyche24

Registered
Reaction score
Still using your posts Maryn. I keep forgetting what to do.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, I'll leave it right where it is.

Maryn, still serving some sort of purpose

snc84

Registered
Reaction score
Ta-daaaa! Now use it for purposes of good, and when you see someone new struggling, you can help them out.

Maryn, showing her dimple

Ignore this... just trying it out. The strike through has been eluding me. It's been hiding in the advanced reply option and labeled "wrap tags". Yes, I do feel like a computer illiterate granny at the age of 31

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
just testing

Ignore this... just trying it out. The strike through has been eluding me. It's been hiding in the advanced reply option and labeled "wrap tags". Yes, I do feel like a computer illiterate granny at the age of 31

just testing, couldn't figure out how to cross things out. Off to crit queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.