It's taken me all day to post this

Shed Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Thought I’d join AW as this looks like a bustling, fun place to be!

Whilst I enjoyed English at school, I came out with much lower grades than expected. This put me off quite a bit, and convinced me that writing wasn’t my thing for many years. However, I’ve felt felt compelled to write for the last two years or so, and last autumn I actually stopped thinking about it and tried doing it. I didn’t get very far, but It felt great!

I’ve been writing in dribs and drabs since, though recently I’ve gotten right back into it. I try to stick to a 1000-words-a-day quota, though most of the time, the quota is met by my incoherent ramblings about my frustrations of not writing anything good, and my dreams of maybe writing something good.

I know I’m a real beginner, still very much learning the craft. It’s really sunk in that I’m not going to just sit down and churn out a novel, so I’m studying books on writing as well as trying to read as much fiction as possible to see how others do it well and not so well.

Following the advice from several writing books, I decided to get out there and meet other writers. I attended a local writers’ meet-up, but ran screaming (not literally). I really felt like I didn’t fit in. I’ve been in hiding ever since. So, I thought it was time to try again, though this time through a forum.

My biggest obstacle at the moment is that I’m feeling quite overwhelmed at the scope of possibility with fiction writing, and as such I’m having trouble settling on one idea and really working at it.

I’m looking forward to getting involved in discussions with other writers, gaining some insight, maybe support, and having some laughs along the way - as well as having an excellent place for procrastination when I should probably be writing.

See you in there. Cheers!

Ian Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Shed Dweller and welcome.

Like you I have come late to writing and I have no built up knowledge on english language. There are some very good writers here who know loads about words, spelling and punctuation etc. Additionally they are really nice and will answer any question you have as well as give feedback if you want it.

Dive into a few threads , that's what I did and I'm loving it.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you consistently knock out 1000 words a day nearly every day--I'll give you a few days off for illness, personal business, etc.--you're bound to complete something if you go in with that intention.

Pick a short story and work on it two times a week. You'll have it done in no time. Now pick something else. Heck, you can finish several novels a year at that rate.

Maryn, glad to meet you

keiju

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm fairly new to this whole writing business too :)

tiffanywynne23

All Things Freelance Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fiverr.com
Hello! I am quite new to writing as well. Please don't feel as if you don't fit in, everyone is different and this is what makes the world a magical place. Keep your head up, see you on the flip side!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Shed Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the welcomes. They've certainly given me a boost!

Maryn, thanks for the short story angle, it's a good idea. That might be a good way to go, just some basic short stories to get me going. Writing 1000 words of fiction a day would be a real step forward and would build my 'strength' up before moving on to more complex things.

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! :) I'm new to AW, too.

Maryn's advice is spot-on. I wrote a ton of, "This is what I want, but can I actually do it?" posts when I first started out. It's as though you have to convince yourself that you have the courage to show up on the page before you can start putting anything "of value" down. However, in my experience, the only thing that will fully convince you that you can do it, is to sit down, push through the anxiety, and simply do it. Start with short stories or flash fiction. You'll get there!

Shed Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! :) I'm new to AW, too.

Maryn's advice is spot-on. I wrote a ton of, "This is what I want, but can I actually do it?" posts when I first started out. It's as though you have to convince yourself that you have the courage to show up on the page before you can start putting anything "of value" down. However, in my experience, the only thing that will fully convince you that you can do it, is to sit down, push through the anxiety, and simply do it. Start with short stories or flash fiction. You'll get there!

Thanks. I think I will try and concentrate on something a little shorter. I think flash fiction feels a little too short for me, so I reckon the short stories route is a good way to go.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Howdy! You're in the company of folks at all different stages of the writing life, from fresh, green newbies to grizzled old pros. I came back to it after a decades-long hiatus. AW is a good place to chat, discuss, and learn.

Short stories are great!

Shed Dweller

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, people.

Hit a bit of a milestone last night. I came up with an idea for a short story and spent a little time 'vomiting' it out onto the page. It was all over the place... but. It was 1070 words of 'all over the place', on top of what I'd already written that day. I figure I need a little thinking time to flesh it out a bit more in my head, but it seems like a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the support and advice.

wotcherH

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Shed Dweller. :)
Reading writing books is definitely a good idea, but ultimately the best thing you can do is just sit down and write. You'll learn the most by simply practicing it.

I'm fairly new at it as well, and am working on my first novel right now, which is overwhelming to say the least.

It looks like things are going well. Congrats on starting that short story! Hopefully the forum is very useful to you. Good luck! :)

ncutmore

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!
I'm a newbie here too, and I also find I feel like a student. Brushing up on things like grammar, syntax, punctuation or anything else I feel I might trip over even when just posting to the forum.
The only actual book I have read on writing was by Stephen King, and that was many years ago now. With all the FAQ's around here it seems like a very valuable resource. Enjoy it here, I know I will!