• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

pyrosama

Pyrosama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
matrix-hole.blogspot.com
I keep making it to the 15,000 word mark and then I peter out. I'm on my third incomplete novel and I've produced two short stories. I think maybe I just love to write and have no commitment to finish a story longer than 3,000 words. :(

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
Anyway, I thought I would start a thread like that since I haven't seen one. If there is one, you can move this then.

What's on my mind about my writing? Well a lot. I can't seem to stop thinking about writing. Sometimes it sucks thinking about it so much and writing too on top of it! ha!

What's on your mind about your writing?
I feel for you, I'm in the same boat. Lately I can't sleep at night because I think up some detail I want to add in, or
some twist I think will be great.
Sleep is impossible for me when I'm in the thick of things. I feel like if I don't get it all down as fast as I can, it won't come out the way I want it to. Obsessive? Yes. Luckily my family is very understanding, they just know I'm in one of those phases and keep bringing me coffee.

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I was going through my complete MS, only to discover something you've written over the course of five years can become complete trash in that time.
Looking over it I've realized how much I've learned about writing and the english language in general and it makes we me want hide.
*snip snip* that's the sound of the pruning scissors getting ready to attack.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
Sneaked 700 words at work and finished a bothersom chapter.

Fatty has a friendzone. Who knew? Spanner in the works for MC. Serves him right ;-)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I keep making it to the 15,000 word mark and then I peter out. I'm on my third incomplete novel and I've produced two short stories. I think maybe I just love to write and have no commitment to finish a story longer than 3,000 words. :(

:( I know that feeling well. I still have that feeling a lot. However, I think you can do it. Writing a novel is hard work. Maybe you should take small breaks from it and then come back to it to see if you can write more of it? Just a suggestion. I still haven't fixed the problem that I've had with that honestly.

--

Well, I did get a few words in yesterday I think. I also went back to writing in Scrivener and yWriter. I think I might just still try to write in those for a while, or at least save the story there I guess.

It also looks like my story is going in a completely different direction that I was planning on taking it. I think I prefer this idea maybe. I just still have to think it out some more and fix down what all really happened.

I'm also still trying to figure out how long I want this thing to be. Hahahaha. It might end being a short story or a novelette maybe. We'll see.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on 21,000 words now, and am scared my WIP's gunna end up too short. But I guess that's what revisions are for...

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Did a little editing on the manuscript yesterday, and today I've been working on a new blog post, which has been agonizingly slow, but I guess that's okay since it won't be posted for another several more days (coincides with a certain date). It may not be writing on my MS, but it's writing which I have done none of for two weeks and that's all that matters. Planning on making an illustration or two for said blog post as well.

Also, dang anxiety is getting to me again.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on 21,000 words now, and am scared my WIP's gunna end up too short. But I guess that's what revisions are for...

Really? I thought revisions were for cutting. :D

Want me to send you some words? I have extras. My two WIPs are 60K and 80K. Neither are at the halfway point. :(

It's on my mind and in my nightmares.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My opening, always my opening, always picking at it like a scab; unable to leave it alone.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could just. . .

*sigh*

Wait, wait! I know this one!

I wish I could just...

-poo
-eat a roast bunny
-write as well as that crazyamayzing Putputt

I'm gonna go for #1. :D

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how writing an action scene, of all things, is what's giving me writer's block

Oldbrasscat

Making stuff up...or maybe sleeping
Registered
Reaction score
In a bunker, lobbing grenades at the plot bunnies.
It's because they're complicated.

Me, I'm just tired. It's hard to have enough energy for a half dozen characters when you're scrounging for enough to get out of bed. I need one of those jobs where you sit in a booth and push a button to let someone in or out a couple times an hour.

etcetc

Registered
Reaction score
Really? I thought revisions were for cutting. :D

Want me to send you some words? I have extras. My two WIPs are 60K and 80K. Neither are at the halfway point. :(

Yeah, chuck me some chapters over would ya? I'm sure no one notice the difference :p

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Why is my muse so moody!?

I'm putting him on notice: he must be quiet during my midterm but then be ready for an action scene this afternoon.

Now to think up suitable punishments if he won't comply. Because I know he'll be ready for action halfway through my midterm . . .

Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
Wishing I had a gift for language. Wondering if I should post this comic up to syw when I'm done. It might be interesting to get feedback, but the time limit imposed by the class I made it for means that there will be issues I can't go back and fix, with quality being sacrificed for time constraints.

sarawrites

rolling up her sleeves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saravallejo.com
That I desperately need to get my ass and gear and work on this damn novel. I've been writing a lot of notes this week and working out a lot of kinks, so that's coming along, but I've stalled on my planning. I haven't been fleshing out my synopsis at all.

I'm doing the Snowflake Method, because why not? And I just haven't had the drive to go through and do it, even though it's really been helping me along.

And I wanted to get a draft of this manuscript done by the end of the year. Oy.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I've been trying to expand the boundaries of my writing (different styles, different sub-genres,etc.) and I'm trying to decide whether this is a worthwhile challenge that will make me a better writer or just a pointless exercise in making myself miserable.

The jury's still out.