Upgraded vs Downgraded

Canton

A tethered mind
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe someone here can help me out with this. Scenario: someone entered the hospital apparently in stable condition, but then their condition was changed to critical. Would you say they were upgraded to critical condition or that they were downgraded to critical condition. In my head, I can justify that both sound right.

Or maybe there's another way you would say it altogether, which is all right too. :) Thank you!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing more complicated that "up" v. "down". In a hospital setting, being "upgraded" to critical condition would basically mean being raised from the dead. Are you writing a story about zombies?

caw

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I can see how you'd confuse yourself, though. We upgrade to red alert, don't we? The calm, green times are at the bottom, and the red is at the top, so... up.

It depends whether the grade is based on the patient's condition or the rating system itself.

That said, in the medical sense I think we base it on the patient's condition, and a google search of the terms confirms that. We upgrade to the better, less severe ratings.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't touch general nursing with a barge pole but I'm pretty sure they'd think of it as upgrading the level of care and observation because of the deteriorated condition of the patient.

If I'm wrong, a general nurse can disabuse me of this notion.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't touch general nursing with a barge pole but I'm pretty sure they'd think of it as upgrading the level of care and observation because of the deteriorated condition of the patient.

If I'm wrong, a general nurse can disabuse me of this notion.

But it's the patient's condition that's upgraded or downgraded; the level of care is adjusted based on that.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At Overthinkers Anonymous, an added layer of superfluous rationalization is considered unproductive, and the thinker is downgraded for upgrading.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
The level of care has been increased. The patient's condition has deteriorated.

Actually I wouldn't use up/downgraded to describe this situation at all. I think usually when people think of these words they think of something shifting to upper or lower quality that is not strictly necessary. Like, I have been upgraded to a first class seat, I've downgraded to basic Spotify service, etc. So I would pick different words.

Darron

Always trust a geologist
Registered
Reaction score
You could say he was bumped up/over/down (depending on the layout of your hospital) to ICU (Intensive Care if you want to avoid acronyms).

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
As ever, Google is your friend. I Googled both "upgrade to critical care" and "downgrade to critical care". Then "upgrade to critical condition" and "downgrade to critical condition". None of these searches found much of interest. These don't seem to be phrases that are used much.

Then Googling "medical state" I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_state

This does mention upgrading and downgrading, but it also states that

"These terms are most commonly used by the news media and are rarely used by physicians, who in their daily business prefer to deal with medical problems in greater detail."

My gut feel here is that a medical condition is not like the DEFCON scale. The medical profession rarely talks about upgrading or downgrading someone to critical as we might talk about moving to DEFCON 3. Instead, amongst themselves they refer to a patient's actual situation in more detail. And when talking to the media they would say that someone "is in" a stable condition, or whatever.

This may be more for the experts wanted thread than grammar.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
As ever, Google is your friend. I Googled both "upgrade to critical care" and "downgrade to critical care". Then "upgrade to critical condition" and "downgrade to critical condition". None of these searches found much of interest. These don't seem to be phrases that are used much.

There are 202 thousand results for "downgraded to critical condition" and 141 thousand for "upgraded to critical condition".

How many results do you need to consider something "much of interest"?

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
But it's the patient's condition that's upgraded or downgraded; the level of care is adjusted based on that.
Terminology varies from hospital to hospital.

In some hospitals, they term it upgrading to critical. In others, it's downgrading to critical.

In hospitals that upgrade to critical, they apply the word upgrade to the level of care needed and increase it accordingly.

In hospitals that downgrade to critical, they apply the word downgrade to the patient's actual condition which also requires an increased level of care.

Last edited: