Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
:hi:

Heya ppls :) I started doing short stories just the past 2 mths and thought I'd look into doing this if I could?
You sure can, KitCat! :welcome: along :) *dances*

Oh, and in case any of you new W1S1 peeps aren't sure, here are some of our favorite hangouts:

Check-in Lounge -- for general W1S1 chitchat
Rejectomancy -- to discuss the arcane art of rejectomancy or, in simpler English, a place for hugs when a venue turns down one of our stories
Braggage -- to share our accomplishments
The Great W1S1 Hey-Do-You-Know-About-This-Market-Thread -- to talk about new places to sell our stuff
The official W1S1 blog -- where you can catch up with the peeps who are participating in the challenge but not on AW. There's weekly check-ins, plus midweek posts that are full of writerly goodness.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Just write, polish and submit whatever you've decided for the challenge (a story a month, or a story a week, or one story every two weeks, or however you want to spread it :)). Hanging out with us is optional, but i find doing so is good motivation.

If you're looking for places to submit your stories, i've got just the thread for you.

If you'd like people to crit your stories, you can do so in SYW, or if you'd prefer a private crit or two you can ask in our Beta Readers/Crit Requests thread. And offer to crit when you can, too. I learn more about writing from critting the work of others than i do getting my own work critted.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'd like to join the short story challenge for 2012. Don't know yet if I will try for monthly or weekly.
:hooray: Yay, Jennifer! Welcome along. You can tailor the challenge to whatever suits you. For instance, one a month might be too few, but one a week too many. Why not try two a month? For me, one a month next year will probably be too much, so i'm going to go for one every two months.

I'd like to join for one a month.
w00t! *dances* welcome aboard, chickenrising! :)

mfowler76

Speculative Fictioneer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milojamesfowler.com
We're going full-steam ahead into 2012! Write1Sub1

Write1Sub1Reloaded.jpg

JenniferB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingcocoon.blogspot.com
:hooray: Yay, Jennifer! Welcome along. You can tailor the challenge to whatever suits you. For instance, one a month might be too few, but one a week too many. Why not try two a month? For me, one a month next year will probably be too much, so i'm going to go for one every two months.

I really want to go for one a week, but I really don't know how long it will take to write, edit, research markets and submit. Perhaps I'll start the first quarter with 2x/month and see how that goes? I'm excited to start submitting! (and terrified)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I really want to go for one a week, but I really don't know how long it will take to write, edit, research markets and submit. Perhaps I'll start the first quarter with 2x/month and see how that goes? I'm excited to start submitting! (and terrified)
That sounds like a good way to go about it. :)

There's a fine line between excitement and terror. And short fiction subbing can be a bit of a roller-coaster ride. But at least you've got us to share the ride with :e2cheer:

As an aside, the Flash Fiction Forum will be doing daily challenges one fortnight a month again next year. So, if you're wondering where to get writing ideas, well, there'll be fourteen a month provided to you here on AW. Now to make sure i link to them come Jan :)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I think I'll give this a shot for 2012, at one a month.

Having a set time frame will be helpful ;)

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I think I'll give this a short for 2012, at one a month.

Having a set time frame will be helpful ;)
:hooray:

Welcome along, bd! I find a set time frame helpful. Stops me obsessing over the nitty things. Or, at least, helps me obsess less over the nitty things :)

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to sign up for one a month too. I just submitted a story for the first time in a year or two and loved the feeling. I need to do it more often.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Heh! Obsessing less will be progress :D
That's some good rhymage!

I'd like to sign up for one a month too. I just submitted a story for the first time in a year or two and loved the feeling. I need to do it more often.
Awrite! :Jump: Welcome to the W1S1 team, Elsa. And i agree, sending a fresh story out into the wide world for the first time is shiver-inducing--of the pleasant kind. :)

DiannaG

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in! I'll be doing one a month, because I do have novels to revise and I'm really hoping to be able to pitch one at World Fantasy Con this year. One per month seems perfectly reasonable because it only takes me a couple of days to write a short story, so a month gives me time to get it critiqued, edited and ready to submit.

Here's to a year of short stories!

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I'm in! I'll be doing one a month, because I do have novels to revise and I'm really hoping to be able to pitch one at World Fantasy Con this year. One per month seems perfectly reasonable because it only takes me a couple of days to write a short story, so a month gives me time to get it critiqued, edited and ready to submit.

Here's to a year of short stories!
Awesome, Dianna! Welcome along to W1S1 (and AW, too) :)

:partyguy: Bring on the new year!

katsincommand

Writer, Not Quitter
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dmbonanno.com
awesome we have so many people joining!

I'm doing the monthly. I fell behind a bit on the subs this year, so that'll be the hard part. I managed 7 new subs this year (and almost 60 re-subs). I'd really like to hit 12 new subs.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yay, Dawn! And 7 new stories is nothing to be sneezed at. Well done! :)

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in for 2012. I think I can manage 2/month. We'll see if I can work up to more. :)

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
I'm looking at doing one a month. So far I've only actually submitted pieces specifically written for compilations and contests so this'll be a pretty new thing for me.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
w00t! :hooray: Welcome to W1S1, Taylor, and to AW :) I'm sure you'll love the challenge, and the other peeps who are doing it!

Also, to those new to the challenge, if you want shiny badges to put in your signature, here are some to choose from.

We have the graphic the official blog is using, posted by Milo earlier in this thread here.

We also have badges especially designed for us AW peeps, thanks to Lillie. There are two sets to choose from.

The Blood, Sweat and Tears set:

6489201191_09bd2c4e10_m.jpg
6491381305_859138611d_m.jpg

and the Rainbow Meadow Set:
6489170005_3a48ab6a20_m.jpg
6491381203_5b62767804_m.jpg

Awesome stuff, Lillie! :snoopy:

If you're not sure how to add the badges to your signature, you can find some instructions here.

Bring on 2012! :)