onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Are you in Windows or OS X?

In OS X, you can set a "speak" shortcut in the main OS system settings, rather than from within Word. This means you can "speak" text in Safari and TextEdit, etc., as well as Word.

Not sure about Windows, but it may well be the same.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Is there a way to assign 'SPEAK SELECTED TEXT ' to say, spt or other keys like you with words? Yeah, know it takes a bit to get use it' still, I fond very helpful for spotting dropped and wrong words.

thanks people

Autocorrect can do that. Go to the FILE tab of the ribbon bar, then Options, then Proofing (I think. I have 2013). Click on the "Autocorrect Options" button. In the section for "Replace text as you type" (as long as it's checked), you can put the shorthand text in the "Replace" blank, and SPEAK SELECTED TEXT in the "With" blank. Click the "Add" button, and it's done.

CAREFULLY choose the shorthand text, though. Autocorrect is very literal. It'll do the replace even in the middle of words if you use a plain text shorthand. I recommend putting some kind of special character in there. For example, I use brackets, like with the UBB code we use in these forums. For example, I might use [mer] to have Autocorrect make it "The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary".

Because I don't see myself ever using UBB code in MS Word :D

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
Autocorrect can do that. Go to the FILE tab of the ribbon bar, then Options, then Proofing (I think. I have 2013). Click on the "Autocorrect Options" button. In the section for "Replace text as you type" (as long as it's checked), you can put the shorthand text in the "Replace" blank, and SPEAK SELECTED TEXT in the "With" blank. Click the "Add" button, and it's done.

CAREFULLY choose the shorthand text, though. Autocorrect is very literal. It'll do the replace even in the middle of words if you use a plain text shorthand. I recommend putting some kind of special character in there. For example, I use brackets, like with the UBB code we use in these forums. For example, I might use [mer] to have Autocorrect make it "The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary".

Because I don't see myself ever using UBB code in MS Word :D

Thanks, I'll give that a try. BTW, I'm not looking to speak, I just want to listen to what I've written, whereas more than not, when I read back my mind fills in the dropped words.

Last edited: