• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

SDS Literary Agency / SDS Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Steve, some of your comments here can be construed as threats to commit physical harm. I'm hoping that was not your intent.

From those statements alone, not even considering the rest of your tone, I would be unlikely to ever consider your service as a UK literary agent. Not when I already know of half a dozen who are far less confrontational and have proven industry contacts and knowledge.

I understand how AW discussions can veer into scary/infuriating territory for agents and publishers. Please, please take those comments as opportunities to analyze your public presence and business model, as others may see them from the outside. Or just stay calm and let the thread fossilize.

Nearly every post you've made here has reflected badly on your business. Those posts are now recorded for posterity even if you delete them (many writers know how to use Internet archive services).

I have no dog in this fight; my (very skilled) US agent has plenty of UK publishing contacts, should we wish to approach the UK market. But I feel badly for you, as you seem hardwired to respond in precisely the wrong ways to questions that are asked (or should be) of every agent and publisher.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Did you enjoy upsetting a disabled person? As you haven't Emailed me your home address, you are just a spineless coward that hides behind a machine, spouting your un-researched lies, which upsets my family and makes my honest business look bad. I'm bloody angry that you upset my wife, and that goes for all of you that upset her with your clever little sarcastic comments, or lies, or arrogant, pompous or bombastic tones.

You shouldn't post anything that's critical, or even a little less than polite, if you aren't willing to make your home address known, because if you don't want to do that, then you're a spineless, gutless coward who should piss off, because nobody cares about you or what you're saying.

At this point, it wouldn't matter if you did manage to sell a book to Penguin. However much you might think someone is mean on the internet, that doesn't make it okay for you to threaten their safety. Most people are aware that using someone's home address to track them down in order to harass them isn't acceptable. That you think it is okay, and you need to be told it's not okay, is downright scary. I wouldn't recommend anyone gives you their home address after this, as it makes it very clear what'll happen to any author who decides they want to leave.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Many publishers went out of business or were forcefully merged during the recession, and most won't gamble on first-time writers with no previous paper (true) publication history, a situation made worse in the UK by Waterstones' decision not to stock first-time writers in their bookshops from December 2013 - they've had their fingers burnt too many times.

Nonsense. I was in a branch of Waterstones just the other day and Jessie Burton's debut novel The Miniaturist was prominently displayed.

ETA: And what, exactly, are you proposing to prosecute people for?

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also thinking I wouldn't want an agent who won't submit my work to more than 12 editors.

Sure, I like having an agent who has a specific idea of who to pitch first, but I also like having an agent who will pitch to as many editors as it takes to get my books published.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Dang, I didn't get to take that course. I'm missing out!

Status
Not open for further replies.