Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
This seems like a case of her needing to complete her bucket list, but it's a list which may have precipitated from that thought that her stuff was just pulp fiction for the masses and wasn't "good enough" to stand by literary fiction as an equal. If so, that's sad, for it just perpetuates that mindset.

That's a far stretch; is this going to be another genre vs literary thread? Maybe she just wants to stretch herself beyond the genre she's known for. Grow as a writer. Why not? I know I do. Nothing sad about that; in fact, it's a very good goal as she ages.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Literary fiction has the stereotype of being snobbish and pretentious, and with some merit.

Uh-oh. I think we ought to turn this into a drinking game.

People speak about it as though it's the only real thing with written work. It's written because it's original, or avant guarde, or from the mind of some kind of defiant hipster genius. It's put up on a pedestal and worshiped like some holy grail of the literary world.
By whom? 'Cause I'm having a hell of a time getting the industry to take my literary fiction seriously, and it's hardly what one might call "avant garde." Maybe I'm not approaching hipsters with thick enough spectacle frames or meticulously-enough groomed mustaches. Last time I checked, my bank account was woefully empty while lots and lots of authors of commercial fiction are making a reliable living off of their work. It would be nice to be worshiped, instead of having to work at shitty jobs I hate to support my useless writing habit.

Okay, okay, I'm getting a bit off-topic, I know. I'm just dismayed at how the accusations of unfairness start to fly whenever the L-word is mentioned.

This seems like a case of her needing to complete her bucket list, but it's a list which may have precipitated from that thought that her stuff was just pulp fiction for the masses and wasn't "good enough" to stand by literary fiction as an equal. If so, that's sad, for it just perpetuates that mindset.
Yes. It sure is sad when wrongheaded mindsets are perpetuated.

As for the author in question, she never said she wanted to write literary fiction. She just wants to write something different. She has that right. She doesn't have to write what her old fans demand. With a career as long as hers has been, with all that experience, I have no doubt she'll find new fans if her old ones aren't willing to give her new endeavors a fair shake.

Last edited:

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
Didn't mean to open a can of worms here! I'm just speaking from what I've seen and heard. You hear mentions of authors speaking to this when they're questioned about writing commercial fiction instead of writing something serious. No good examples come immediately to mind except Stephen King. I can recall he spoke about that somewhere or another.

And although a drinking game sounds awesome right about now, my point was kind of emphasized with Libbie talking about empty bank accounts when commercial authors were making all the money. That's always been the stance of literary fiction - they aren't in it for the money.

Cooper was probably trying to just write something different. It sounded like she was trying to branch out into something more literary to me. Maybe not. Just what I took from it, for whatever it's worth.

And I don't have anything against "literary" per se. I realize my tone was probably condescending in the previous post. Didn't mean it to be so terribly so. I was just speaking to the bad name I've often heard commercial pulp fiction get from purists of the trade.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll drink to that.

Really. Where's the hooch?

Maryn, ready for alcohol

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
You hear mentions of authors speaking to this when they're questioned about writing commercial fiction instead of writing something serious. No good examples come immediately to mind except Stephen King. I can recall he spoke about that somewhere or another.

I really think the only times I've ever seen writers mention this, they're being very tongue-in-cheek about it. The feeling I get is that very little actual resentment exists between working genre and literary writers. Most of it seems to be assumed by newbies like us.

That's always been the stance of literary fiction - they aren't in it for the money.
That's because most writers out there can really only write what they love to write. There are a few exceptional individuals who can do a bang-up job with any genre you hand them, but by and large, most of us are one-trick ponies. Maybe two tricks at the most. People like me typically aren't in it to Create Higher Art or Expand Human Consciousness or any other pursuit that might be considered snobbish. We're writing what we write because that's what we like to read, and that's the kind of story that means the most to us. Same reason why sci-fi writers write sci-fi, romance writers write romance, and horror writers write horror.

It just sucks for us that it doesn't tend to sell well. At least it has a chance at some awards! It's a small consolation.

The fact that writers have a strong tendency to specialize in genres or themes really says a lot about the author referenced in the OP. Good for her for wanting to stretch herself that far, after such a firmly established career! That's quite a challenge...one I hope I might be skilled enough to undertake some day. Maybe when I'm 74 I'll break out some sparkly vampire teen romances. Woo!

Last edited:

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
I really think the only times I've ever seen writers mention this, they're being very tongue-in-cheek about it. The feeling I get is that very little actual resentment exists between working genre and literary writers. Most of it seems to be assumed by newbies like us.

That's because most writers out there can really only write what they love to write. There are a few exceptional individuals who can do a bang-up job with any genre you hand them, but by and large, most of us are one-trick ponies. Maybe two tricks at the most. People like me typically aren't in it to Create Higher Art or Expand Human Consciousness or any other pursuit that might be considered snobbish. We're writing what we write because that's what we like to read, and that's the kind of story that means the most to us. Same reason why sci-fi writers write sci-fi, romance writers write romance, and horror writers write horror.

It just sucks for us that it doesn't tend to sell well. At least it has a chance at some awards! It's a small consolation.

The fact that writers have a strong tendency to specialize in genres or themes really says a lot about the author referenced in the OP. Good for her for wanting to stretch herself that far, after such a firmly established career! That's quite a challenge...one I hope I might be skilled enough to undertake some day. Maybe when I'm 74 I'll break out some sparkly vampire teen romances. Woo!

Very good points. A lot of the rhetoric between established authors may well be tongue-in-cheek. Doesn't mean folks don't take the ball and run with it. I don't think there's a lot of resentment. Maybe a little hot air and posturing occasionally, but overall, mutual respect holds sway.

And yea, I share that whole "wish I could write what's selling like hotcakes" thing. I'm pretty sure my job would have been a lot easier the past couple of years trying to market the next hot teen vampire tale or the next humorous vampire story instead of marketing, ahem, "more serious" horror and science fiction in markets that are already stuffed to the gills, and especially in the case of horror, not taking any newcomers very fast. And when I see the romance market, I really want to have a dog in that race. I just don't write it.

We write what we love, and in my case, it just happens to be genres that are more difficult to market, or are overstuffed already. Everything's cyclic though, so I've got my fingers crossed for 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.