• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Safkhet Publishing

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Publishing industry experience IS experience in the publishing industry, meaning ANY experience whatsoever in producing and publishing content for dissemination to the general public.

Oh, you were doing fine, but that is an absolutely laughable claim. So you think that a guy who writes ad copy for pizza delivery leaflets for ten years can claim a decade in publishing?

Get real, Will! I have a decade in actual book publishing, and I wouldn't dream of trying to sell my services as, say, a textbook publisher off the back of it, as I've never published them and it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

Using this logic, author J.K. Rowling has absolutely no publishing industry experience as she has never actually worked for a publisher nor held an internship at one.

The logic is correct. I would not expect JK Rowling to claim that she is an experienced publisher. She could say that she has experience of the publishing industry, but it doesn't imply any kind of credentials as an editor, sales person, production manager, whatever.

The advantage JKR has over most startup publishers with no experience is she's a multimillionaire and thus has the funds to get professionals in. She'd need them.

Running a bulletin board system, and editing and disseminating a science fiction magazine that I started sounds like publishing experience to me. Nothing misleading about that.

Yes, there is. Running a BBS is not book publishing. Running a magazine is not book publishing. Neither of those things are even that much like book publishing.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Publishing Experience means experience running or working for a publishing company. Being an author and running a bulletin board does not count. It involves different skill sets.

If Rowling was to set up a publishing company, it would probably not succeed because her experience is in writing books, not in publishing them. Calling this publishing experience would be like saying someone who takes photographs could run a company producing cameras, just because they take photographs that people want to buy.

Edit:

We want new publishers to succeed, because as writers we want as many options as possible. What we don't want is for you to succeed at the expense of authors. So far you haven't told me anything that would make me to submit to you when say, Angry Robot is out there, publishing sci-fi and fantasy and getting them onto book stores both nationwide and internationally.

Shall we see what Angry Robot have as publishing experience?

http://angryrobotbooks.com/about-us/people/

You'll note that some of them have worked as writers, but have also put their time in with other publishers, which is valid experience and what we're looking for. Regardless of whether you think writing and dealing with BBS is valid experience in setting up a publisher, the publishing industry doesn't and will understand 'experience' to mean 'experience working at or with a publisher'. So if you don't wish to mislead, I would edit that.

Last edited:

WillatSafkhet

WillatSafkhet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.safkhetpublishing.com
Oh, you were doing fine, but that is an absolutely laughable claim. So you think that a guy who writes ad copy for pizza delivery leaflets for ten years can claim a decade in publishing?

No, of course not. He can claim a decade in advertisement experience.

Get real, Will! I have a decade in actual book publishing, and I wouldn't dream of trying to sell my services as, say, a textbook publisher off the back of it, as I've never published them and it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

If you are in fact a trade book publisher, I wouldn't advise you to sell your services as a textbook publisher. Trade books are naturally different than academic books. No one is arguing that point here.

The logic is correct. I would not expect JK Rowling to claim that she is an experienced publisher. She could say that she has experience of the publishing industry, but it doesn't imply any kind of credentials as an editor, sales person, production manager, whatever.

I didn't say she's an experienced publisher. I said she's got experience in the publishing industry... I didn't say as what.

Yes, there is. Running a BBS is not book publishing. Running a magazine is not book publishing. Neither of those things are even that much like book publishing.

I accede that point. However, I was responding to Terie's comment and responding to that very sentence:

This is not publishing industry experience, and it is (ahem) misleading to suggest that it is. Publishing industry experience means working or interning for a publisher.

Nowhere in that sentence did she say "book publishing". My BBS experience relates to my experience in editing and disseminating content to the general public. As it is related to publishing, it adds to my publishing experience.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
No, of course not. He can claim a decade in advertisement experience.

OK, so what you're saying is, you made an unreasonably broad statement earlier which implies absurd propositions? Cool. That was kind of my point.

I didn't say she's an experienced publisher. I said she's got experience in the publishing industry... I didn't say as what.

So what's your position? If a writer sets themselves up as a publisher, is it or is it not deceptive for them to claim 'publishing experience'? To me it sounds misleading.

Nowhere in that sentence did she say "book publishing". My BBS experience relates to my experience in editing and disseminating content to the general public. As it is related to publishing, it adds to my publishing experience.

You are defending your credentials and expertise as a book publisher.

You say "We have decades of publishing experience."

She says, "What publishing experience?"

You say, "I had a BBS and an SF zine."

I say, "That isn't book publishing experience."

You say, "Oh, I didn't mean to imply that was book publishing experience.

If you split hairs like that on a CV, you'd have a pretty rough time in an interview.

Deleted member 42

Running a bulletin board system, and editing and disseminating a science fiction magazine that I started sounds like publishing experience to me. Nothing misleading about that.

Dude, seriously, you are embarrassing yourself. Bragging about running a BBS in the '80s is like bragging about your ability to cook microwave popcorn, and neither have squat to do with publishing.

You don't have any experience. You're already screwed because you're dependent on POD for print books, and they simply cost too damn much to print.

You don't even have a cover designer who understands color separation for print, the titles of your books are almost unreadable, you're not typesetting them, and you seriously need help if you're creating print books and you're paperless.

Even the prose on your Website is laboriously painful:

Safkhet is the Egyptian goddess of wisdom, books and libraries and the consort of Thoth, the Egyptian god of writing. Accredited with the invention of writing, she was seen as a scribe and record-keeper. She is symbolized as a standing or sitting woman holding a palm stem, which is used to keep a record of the passage of time. A six-pointed papyrus plant is above her head, her holy symbol. Her connection to papyrus is significant, as the Egyptians used derivatives of the papyrus plant to write upon.

Since the owners of Safkhet Publishing met in Egypt in 1993, the name is almost self-evident.

That's not the prose of a native speaker of English. It just isn't. It's embarrassing.

Stop now. Hire people who have genuine experience in editing, acquiring and design. Specialize in a niche. A narrow niche.

LaylahHunter

Posting on AW instead of writing
Registered
Reaction score

Okay, wow. This kind of logic-bending says to me, in very big letters, NEVER EVER SIGN A CONTRACT WITH THIS PERSON. I want my publishers to believe in straightforward communication, not weasely attempts to improve their position via loopholes.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
:eats popcorn:

Seriously, Willie. Step away from the keyboard. Some of the stuff you've posted here doesn't make you seem as clever as you think you are. It's like you're standing in the middle of an obstetrics convention explaining how you're actually a little bit pregnant.

MM

Last edited:

black13

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lynneconnolly.com
This one is worrying. I've been wading through the shark tank of US publishing for years, enough to know that sometimes the naively ignorant are as dangerous as the con men and women. Not the same, but they have the same affect on the unknowing author.
The website doesn't exactly inspire. And with three members of staff listed, I'd like to know more about the editors and cover artists. No mention of the rates they pay.
And that word, "family"? That's me out. The two publishers I was with who kept talking about the publisher as a family were NBI and Triskelion, and most of us know what happened there. The Borgias were family.
From this thread, I'd say avoid this publisher, at least until there are more staff on board, more books in the catalogue and a bit more experience.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I do not know what will come from it, but Safkhet Publishing is looking over a novel of mine right now. All I can say is Mr. Sutton has been very professional and also gave me very good advice about the sample chapters I had sent him.

I'm glad Mr Sutton has helped you with your book. I hope his advice was good.

Tell me, WAR: what do you want for your book?

Do you want your book to be published well? Do you want it to be edited, designed, marketed and sold effectively? Do you want it to have a presence on bookshop shelves?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then you should think very carefully before signing with Safkhet.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you could tell us why you chose Safkhet?

WAR Wrestler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
warusho-author.blogspot.com
I did respect that Will Sutton came to this site and addressed comments you had, good or bad. You have to at least respect someone that does that and his advice was excellent.
Also, I like Sheryl Browne’s novel. I was able to see some of it, and unlike what Old Hack might say I thought it was well written and edited.
I searched the web, found authors who have dealt with Safket Publishing in the past. Other then the comments you had posted here, I did not find any complaints or negative comments. If you have seen any complaints from authors who have actually dealt with this publisher, please show them to me, I would want to know who they are and see their personal complaints with this company.
I respect your comments, but are these based on your interpretations of what you see, or those who have dealt with Safket Publishing in the past. There is a big difference.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Check out the link I posted, Rob.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Dagnabbit, I thought I saw safkhet as the URL as well.

nevermind.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Who is your publisher?

I'd get your website and blog up now, but if your publisher is good they should be able to give you some advice about this.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear.

Have you read the Safkhet thread in BR&BC?

I wouldn't even consider signing with them, and I strongly suspect your book would do better if you self published it. Please be careful. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this privately.

WAR Wrestler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
warusho-author.blogspot.com
I did read the criticism on there.
I also have spoken to almost every one of the published authors. Funny, how the criticism is from people on here who have never had any dealings with them. Given the two, I went with the authors who know them more.
I will adjust the contract, and see if they sign it. If not, I will continue to look elsehwere.