• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Chalberg & Sussman

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this agency? Their website doesn't offer much information.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
R today on a Fantasy Romance query to Natasha from 11th August, so pretty good response time even if the result wasn't what I desired, and at least it wasn't a 'dear author', which I seem to be getter more of lately. *shrugs*

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just chiming in to say that my agent, Lana Popovic, recently switched from Zachary Shuster Harmsworth to Chalberg & Sussman. The switch-over isn't official--as in they haven't announced it to the world with all due pomp and circumstance--but she is taking queries at her new C&S address.

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Lana's bio is on the C&S site, though I didn't realise she hadn't officially announced it.

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any info/updates on how things are going with the new changes at this agency?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm curious about this one also, as I'm researching agents who take fantasy. Both Popovic and Chalberg & Sussman have come up on publishers marketplace as making deals recently (though they aren't with imprints I recognize), but I can't find listings for either Lana Popovic or for this agency on preditors and editors (nor are there listings for Terra Chalberg, Natasha Alexis or the other listed agents on that site).

Last edited:

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
The agency is new, so that might be why it's not on Preditors and Editors yet (I'm not sure how Dave compiles his information).

Lana was with Zachary Shuster Harmsworth before C&S, so she (and as far as I understand it) the other agents have experience with more established agencies.

I'm not sure if that helps to you allay any fears or answers any questions, however.

Nova Odyssey

Marvelous
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the follow-up. Yes, my sense is some of the agents there have experience and sales (one as recent as a few days ago). Was wondering if people felt that the collective experience of the agents there makes up for it being a new-ish agency to then take the risk with new-ish agents (or agents without an extensive sales history)...

Last edited:

otherside

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Lana Popovic? I have a call with her coming up. I have seen that she's made a few deals with a small press called Spencer Hill and I'm wondering what other deals she has made. I would also love to get any insight from any of her clients.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Yes, I have (and still do have experience) with Ms. Popovic. Flipping through co-clients on Twitter, she's also made a sale to Harpercollins & I think to one other big five, though I can't find it at the moment.

She's a very editorial agent (something I wanted/preferrred) and I've only had good experiences with her. The novel she took me on for (YA SF involving a semi-generation ship, murder, and aliens) didn't sell. The second is on sub at the moment.

PM if you have more specific questions.

ETA: Forgot to add congratulations on the interest & call!

otherside

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I have (and still do have experience) with Ms. Popovic. Flipping through co-clients on Twitter, she's also made a sale to Harpercollins & I think to one other big five, though I can't find it at the moment.

She's a very editorial agent (something I wanted/preferrred) and I've only had good experiences with her. The novel she took me on for (YA SF involving a semi-generation ship, murder, and aliens) didn't sell. The second is on sub at the moment.

PM if you have more specific questions.

ETA: Forgot to add congratulations on the interest & call!

Thank you, Thedrellum! That is great to hear. Best of luck with your second book! I might PM you after the call if I have questions. Did she have you do an R&R before offering rep?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
She didn't, but we did go through some serious revisions after signing. In our talk, she said she was confident I could make the changes needed (and so, I assume, no need for the R&R).

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
She is my agent's agent! Rebecca's debut novel is coming out from Balzer+Bray, a HarperCollins imprint. That's all I know off the top of my head but she seems like a great agent.

otherside

Registered
Reaction score
She is my agent's agent! Rebecca's debut novel is coming out from Balzer+Bray, a HarperCollins imprint. That's all I know off the top of my head but she seems like a great agent.

That's great to hear, Becca! Thanks for telling me :D

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Poovic on 10/17/14 with YA Post-Apocalyptic. No response so I assume no.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Jennifer Grimaldim, who joined Chalberg & Sussman in Sept. and got a full request in an hour. :)