• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Second-person fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If this subject has already been covered here, please ignore this. :)

We have discussed such things as present-tense narrative, but how about second-person narrative? I once mentioned the idea to a friend who wants to be a writer, and he didn't know what I was talking about, but the approach has been used by many authors.

This is from Wikipedia:

Although not the most common narrative technique in literary fiction, second-person narration has been a favoured form in various literary works within, notably, the modern and post-modern tradition. In addition to many consistently (or nearly consistently) second-person novels and short-stories by, for example, Albert Camus, Michel Butor, Marguerite Duras, Carlos Fuentes, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Georges Perec (A Man Asleep, 1967), the technique of narrative second-person address has been widely employed in intermittent chapters or passages of narratives by William Faulkner, Günter Grass, Italo Calvino, Iain Banks, Nuruddin Farah, Jan Kjærstad, and many others.

So I might write a short story that begins: "You wake up and see a stained ceiling. You blink and realize that you are in a dingy room. What happened last night? Were you at the Last Chance Saloon or the Watchurwallet Bar? Slowly, you begin to remember that there was a blonde somewhere, and you think you spoke to her, or was that in a dream? You try to pull yourself up but find that...."*

What do you think of the second-person approach? Does it take a master (Faulkner, Grass, Camus) to bring it off? Would you use it?

*I'm good at writing crappy prose. :cool:

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
Once in a while I write something in second. Generally, these are short pieces where it just seems right. I don't know that I would like to write--or read, for that matter--a second-person novel.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Night Circus has sections in 2nd person, so does Broken for You. Both are extremely good. In Broken for You, 2nd person seems to be the way one character thinks of himself. In Night Circus it's a way of allowing the audience of the circus a voice.

Not sure I've ever read a whole book in 2nd.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe I've read a novel in 2nd, but I've seen it occasionally in short stories.

I used 2nd in a flash fiction piece I wrote several years ago, and it won some money ($100, I think) in a flash fic contest. It's here if you want to check it out.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
The only book I've read in second person was, You by: Charles Benoit. And it was excellent. You don't see many books like that. But I bet if you can pull it off well, it might really work.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hate beyond all possible words. I think it always comes across as a poor gimmick. It's great for introducing a story, or for flash fiction, but nothing sucks like second person at novel length.

I managed to make it through Bright Lights, Big City, but wished every second that someone would set the house on fire so I'd have a reason to stop reading, exit, and leave the book behind.

I understand experimenting, but later, after you've sold fifty novels, and after I'm too old to read.

Have I mentioned that I hate second person.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only one that I remember reading, off the top of my head, is Nocturnes for the King of Naples by Edmund White. In this case, it worked because (possible spoilage) it turned out to be a eulogy for a dead lover. I'm not adverse to the form, however; just haven't found anything else written in second.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I really liked Bright Lights Big City. I thought the second person was really effective, because the MC kind of felt like he was out of control of his life and being dragged into situations he didn't really understand, and by writing in second person the reader gets the same sensation.

You are not the kind of guy who would be at a place like this at this time of the morning. But here you are, and you cannot say that the terrain is entirely unfamiliar...​

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas comes to mind. So Does How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia. There are other examples of novels written in second as well, but it does seem to be a very unusual approach outside of literary fiction. It's not something I generally enjoy, but if someone's a good enough writer, they can probably create something in second that appeals to at least some readers.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
TBH, I associate second-person POV with Choose Your Own Adventure titles, where you, the reader, are supposed to be a character making decisions that impact the story. Obviously, it can be (and has been) used effectively in more mature titles. As a reader, though, I like to be invisible, and not have a narrator telling me who "I" am and what "I'm" doing and thinking in a given situation. (At least, not if I can't turn to page 25 to see the outcome... ;) )

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I enjoyed Charles Stross's Halting State, which is written from three different 2nd person POVs. But then the book is written from a kind of gaming first-person-shooter aspect, so the second person works in that regard.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the short sections of it in The Night Circus, but I don't think I could stand an entire novel written that way.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The YA Half-Bad starts out in second-person, and has another small section in second-person later. While I scoffed at the idea of it originally, I actually enjoyed the first section in second-person so much, I was disappointed when the book changed to first-person later.

But mostly I associate second-person with Choose Your Own Adventure books. I don't even remember the second-person parts of The Night Circus

(BTW, right now I am reading Neil Patrick Harris's autobiography, which is in the form of a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and enjoying it immensely)

Hugh

Registered
Reaction score
An unknown narrator appears from time to time in The Crimson Petal and the White in second person. It was charming.

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
Italo Calvino's If On A Winter's Night A Traveler also has sections in 2nd person. While it works very well for him, I think it is very hard to pull off without it feeling like a gimmick or a choose your own adventure story.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
(BTW, right now I am reading Neil Patrick Harris's autobiography, which is in the form of a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and enjoying it immensely)

I saw that go through the library the other day; I'm neutral on the guy myself, but the little I skimmed looked hilarious, so I think I'll have to track that one down when I have the chance.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I've read travelogue-type things in second, such as in, 'Now you enter the Hall of Shelled Creatures where the mummified remains of King Nathumpet's pet turtles are enshrined. You note the many decorations on the wall, hailing the many triumphs in battle of the mighty king as he rides his chariot, pulled by his two favorite turtles - or tortoises - Harum and Ph!"

(Or am I thinking of those museum tours you take with a headset and a guidebook?)

No, I've actually read a few travel-like books written in second, including one that explained what London was like when Shakespeare was writing.

Other than that, please no. No second person. Please.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I detest it. I'm okay with first- or third-, any variety, and past or present tense (depending on individual book factors). But I find second-person narration makes something behind my eyeballs throb.

But . . . that's me, as reader. I don't expect other readers to be enclosed by my cape.

caw

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
It can work extremely well in picture books. In fact some classics are second person - There's a Monster at the End of This Book is one.

Kashmirgirl1976

Recouping My Lost Marbles
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I am not fond of them. For some reason, I can't find the mind space for them. Maybe it's the repetitive usage of "You", which is odd because first-person pov doesn't bother me at all.

If I revisit second-person, I imagine short stories or flash fiction would suit me instead of novels.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
So you picked up this new novel everyone's raving about, and the durn thing is written in second person. How can you read that? No one could. You plop down in front of your computer intent on writing a diatribe but the words just won't flow. Eventually you kick your computer over and go for a walk, muttering at random strangers about how there's so little difference that you can barely tell second person from first.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
TBH, I associate second-person POV with Choose Your Own Adventure titles, where you, the reader, are supposed to be a character making decisions that impact the story. Obviously, it can be (and has been) used effectively in more mature titles. As a reader, though, I like to be invisible, and not have a narrator telling me who "I" am and what "I'm" doing and thinking in a given situation. (At least, not if I can't turn to page 25 to see the outcome... ;) )
That's the first association that I made as well. It just sits very poorly with me being told what I'm doing and observing as the narrative perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.