The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
*slinks into purgatory*

Reps everyone. Waves hello! Cries over the piles of work on the desk. Sighs.

*slinks back out*

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
You have to shovel sidewalks here within 24 hours to a width of 30 inches. I'm lucky to have a really noodgy neighbor who reports the noncompliant so I don't have to.

Gun debate is hard to follow because the arguments of the gun lobby are often not rational -- they frequently argue against points that have not been made. Just doesn't make sense.

I want to see Dee's panther.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
TWINKLE TOES! that is amazing!
congrats!

thanks for sharing, blondie!

/bootay shake!

off to volunteer in sweet pea's
art class this morn. they are drawing
emperor penguins and glaciers!

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
a bit of happy making before i toodle
off, because happy making is hard to get
in this business. i'm mentioned in the same
breath as my literary idol in SLJ!

"Each story entertains and provides the opportunity for underrepresented readers to find themselves on the pages. Contributors range from newly published authors to award winners, such as Ursula K. Le Guin and Cindy Pon. A first purchase for collections needing diversity titles or where short stories and dystopia are popular."

i'm not so "newly published" but
WHATEVER I WILL TAKE IT! ha
*clings to le guin's name in review*

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Dragon!

Yay, Xiao!

You know, I've lived in my town for eight years now, and I have no idea if there are laws about shoveling your sidewalk. I'm guessing not, this being live free and die NH.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone... I know a lot of you expressed that you didn't know what was going on. All give a quick run down. I went to see girl wonder. We had been online dating and I stayed with her and her family. she pulled away about half way into the trip. A week went by after my return and she really wasn't talking to me. I had fallen in love with her. Deeply so. That is not normal for me. Well monday night she broke up with me. She says that she doesn't feel for me that way.... Honestly I do not believe that. I believe she's scared... I saw things and I know things about her personality that make me question her proclamation of not feeling for me that way... It knocked me down hard. So so so hard. The first like 30 hours I cried more then I've cried in probably the last 10 years. I burned through all that sorrow. I owned it. I accepted it.... and today I no longer feel sad. I still hurt. That will pass too.... And here's the thing. Maybe something will rekindle between us... Maybe it won't. I am okay with that either way. I still love her. I can say I've honestly loved 3 women now and even the first two I still love. So that's not going to go away but you know what. I'm happy for the moments we had. I'm fine with how I feel. And today is looking better. Tomorrow will be even better..... And I will move forward.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
(((Caleb))) I don't have any wise words, but plenty of
consoling-smiley.gif
and :Hug2:.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
update on fraud:

ch4se has been great in sending
new card and reinbursing the charges made.
this person made almost $1200 charges
including about $300 same day at a gas
station. how that is even possible, i don't know.

gift cards?

get your friends lined up with suvs to fill tanks?

augh.

not a good way to start the new year.
fraud victim and editor pass.
hope it only gets better from here.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
ETA: Caleb, I'm sorry. Yeah, really, really hard.

Gun Law Stuff: Unfortunately, most crimes are committed with guns obtained illegally. The only way to stop some of this would be to close our borders, but then we'd still have criminals who steal the guns of lawful people (which is also a problem we have).

Sammy, I mostly agree with what you said but pulled this part out just to point out that the guns that are obtained illegally are from the US, NOT from outside our borders. It's the other way around, with guns from the US flooding Mexico in violation of Mexican law and hugely contributing to the Drug War slaughter there.

More guns = more criminals with guns.

(((Sunna)))! Holy crap, so glad you're okay! :eek:

DITTO!!! (I would so be a winter hermit if I lived where the weather did that!)

That's cool, though, Dee. Will we be getting update photos?

YES!!!!

WOO HOO Dragonfly!!!

From PM:

HUGE congratulations to Dragonfly!!!

a bit of happy making before i toodle
off, because happy making is hard to get
in this business. i'm mentioned in the same
breath as my literary idol in SLJ!

"Each story entertains and provides the opportunity for underrepresented readers to find themselves on the pages. Contributors range from newly published authors to award winners, such as Ursula K. Le Guin and Cindy Pon. A first purchase for collections needing diversity titles or where short stories and dystopia are popular."

i'm not so "newly published" but
WHATEVER I WILL TAKE IT! ha
*clings to le guin's name in review*

And huge congratulations to X-Cin too!!!

BTW, this segment on FRESH AIR had some very useful definitions of "assault weapons" and the like.

And in happier news, I am gonna take that long walk to the ocean and look at bass ukuleles today...

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
((Caleb))

Here is my radical opinion about gun control: People should not live where there is snow.

Oh wait...

You'll pry my snow out of my cold, dead, and possibly frost-bitten hands!

update on fraud:

ch4se has been great in sending
new card and reinbursing the charges made.
this person made almost $1200 charges
including about $300 same day at a gas
station. how that is even possible, i don't know.

gift cards?

get your friends lined up with suvs to fill tanks?

augh.

not a good way to start the new year.
fraud victim and editor pass.
hope it only gets better from here.
Ugh. In like a lion, out like a lamb, I hope. Glad the bank is dealing with it well, though.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out precisely what a bass ukulele sounds like.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out precisely what a bass ukulele sounds like.

I looked it up on Youtube. Pretty cool, actually.

*throws back-of-fridge produce after Rab*

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
There's two kinds -- the Kal@ and the Kam0a. The Kam0a is more "acoustic," but though it's tuned like a bass, the octave is that of a guitar, so you are loosing low end in exchange for the more acoustic quality. The Kal@ uses these rubberized strings so it actually is tuned AND in the same octave as a regular bass. BUT, not as acoustic. I've actually picked up a Kam0a but not the Kal@, which is the one I'm going to look at today.

The reasons I want one of these things are: they are extremely portable, like put it in the overhead bin portable, and I travel a lot, and I've always wanted a portable bass instrument that I could bring with me and play. My Fender is BIG and very heavy. Also, I have little tiny hands, which have always been a handicap with my bass-playing -- trying to get back into shape but it's hard, and it would be a lot of fun to have something small and manageable like one of these.

But, which one?

The obvious answer is, I NEED BOTH!!!

Er, but even one will have to wait.

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Trying so very hard to stay out of the gun debate online. People I know keep posting uninformed crap on FB and making my eye twitch. *sigh* I wish people would read more.

WOOT, Colby!

I'm so hoping that the weather guy is right and it does snow here tomorrow. I don't want to be buried all winter, but 1-2 good storms that melt off in a few days is magnificent. I'm jealous of those of you who have it this year. :)

((((Cin)))) that sucks. Glad they're being good about it. Three hundred at a gas station, huh? Cigarettes? Those can be resold or traded on the street.
<--- has been doing too much research on criminals. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the times my credit card was stolen, the person charged $900 at the nearby Mobil station--he bought tires.

He got caught when he tried to buy lingerie at Victoria's Secret, where they noticed he didn't look like he'd have that first name. Apparently he had several hundred dollars' worth of lacies on the counter.

Maryn, disgusted that he was not prosecuted

Kiahanna

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Evening purgies :)

I am staying out of the gun debate for now. It has literally torn a rift in my family and certain areas on my facebook could possibly be the start of WWIII....

I think at last count there were several of my cousins ready to square off and beat the ever loving snot out of each other. Because, you know, it couldn't be brain cells. They don't have any, apparently.../sigh

Today was yet another day at work being neglected by my supervisor and lead senior. They are pretty much ruining any chance I might have for advancement. I want to bring this up to the overall boss, but I fear retaliation...

I am very excited about the possibility of snow coming. Hopefully we get loads.

Finished the beta read I was working on I'm moving on to trying to finish my current WIP. Yay.

FruitTree

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Dragonfly!

Xiao, how fabulous to be bracketed with LeGuin - congratulations. And I'm glad your bank has been good on the fraud thing. I had fraudulent use on my credit card over the holidays too...the person bought services (online) from a sketchy lawyer in Canada!

It's very forward-thinking, to pre-pay your legal bills when you are involved in fraud.

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Dragonfly!!! Awesome news!

I'm home from my trip to Vegas. Chloe got checked out by Super Vet. I had lunch with my brother for his birthday and reminded him who I want at the party I basically told them they had to give me. :D Also met, with my "sis", who wanted to see the dogs and everyone in her office was oohing and aahing over them. They will sleep well tonight.

That is all.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Brrrr on the snow and ice and the colds. Stay warm, everyone and have some tea!

Yay, Dragonfly!

(((Lily))) Hope you feel better soon! *sends some extra tea*

((((Caleb)))) All the hugs.

Thought this would entertain you, but today my German class got a new student who insisted he wanted to join the class even midway through the year and he's never had any German before. So, my coordinating teacher makes each student choose a "German" name and before this kid could even pick one, most of my German 1 class pointed at him and said: "Krampus! His name is Krampus!" Poor kid was just puzzled. I'm thinking he might choose something different, though "Krampus" may stick. :tongue

Also, really hoping I'm not catching my teacher's cold. She sounded like death today. All the sniffles and ick in my school. Blech.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
(Suna) I am glad your ok :S
((((Caleb))) that stinks man :(

WOOHOOO!!! :D
From PM:

Quote:
Colby Marshall's THE TRADE, in which a brilliant, ruthless surgeon provides infants for sale on the black market -- leaving helpless women to die, to Pat Shaw at Stairway Press, in a nice deal, for publication in June 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.