• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Of all the big epubs, Samhain always struck me as the one most likely to branch out into other genres successfully. Interesting to see them do this while epubs like Lyrical are closing their non-Romance lines to submissions, but I think with a good editor and a slow start they've got a real shot.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the website has been revamped...

I'm not impressed. The colours are bland, the logo looks like bok choy and most importantly, there are no books on the main page.

Yes there are books in that header graphic, but it's not a clickable link to the store. It's a blog with a bunch of social media stuff, and there are no books on the main page.

I have to admit, I've seen more interesting author blogs. And considering it's built on Wordpress, it's not surprising that it looks like a blog, and not a bookstore. Well, that and there are no books on the main page.

Um, did I mention that there are no books on the main page?

Nadia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nadialee.net
The colours are bland, the logo looks like bok choy and most importantly, there are no books on the main page.

Now that you mention "bok choy" I see it too...! >.<

(I like bok choy & ginger stir fry with a dollop of oyster sauce...and now I crave it bad!)

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Drollerie did the same thing recently; use the blog as a portal (and make the whole site look blander). I wasn't keen there and I'm not here. Who's selling this idea to publishers? Making the shop harder to find seems an odd direction for a bookseller to take,

Last edited:

Nadia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nadialee.net
It's not leaves, they're trees. Trees have always been the logo - this is just a new version.

Nobody said they were leaves; a few members remarked that the new logo looks like bok choy leaves...

I know they're supposed to be trees, but once the bok choy thing got brought up, I totally see how some might think the logo has 2 leaves or something.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like the new website and the trees look like trees to me. :Shrug:

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody said they were leaves; a few members remarked that the new logo looks like bok choy leaves...

I know they're supposed to be trees, but once the bok choy thing got brought up, I totally see how some might think the logo has 2 leaves or something.
I think it is supposed to be a variation of the old spooky tree that was the logo previously. But they have turned the little icon on the tab and the url bar into a leaf. I don't remember what that used to be. That one doesn't look like bok choy though.

Strange how they get rid of the spooky tree and dark colours right at the same time they start accepting horror. Seems steps in opposite directions. I'm also not thrilled with this part of the Horror Line description on the Submissions page:
We are actively seeking talented writers who can tell an exciting, dramatic and frightening story, and who are eager to promote their work and build their community of readers.
Bolding mine. The same does not appear in the Romance Line description. I guess they've got a large enough romance reader base that they don't need the authors to promo for them. They also ask that you include your agent info with your submission... agented horror writers, self-subbing to a romance epress? Um, what?

Last edited:

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
I miss the old page, too. Loved the colors. And while the new design is a little easier on the eyes, ite looks a bit like the calming color palate of a medical spa.

It's also still "in progress", and it looks like they're working out some of the programming and links kinks. Hopefully, for their authors' sake, they get that worked out quickly.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's kind of pretty.

But I really question the emphasis on the blog. Maybe it's just me (often is), but I pay little, to no attention to publisher blogs.

Usually, what gets my attention is the cover and title (yep, I'm shallow). What sells me the book is the blurb and excerpt. Between Facebook, Twitter, and my many must-read blogs and webcomics, I don't have the time to read publisher blogs.

But maybe Samhain has some market research that suggests that most readers like publisher blogs. In which case, I'm not most readers.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com

Oh, okay. That's what I get for skimming :)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I generally like to see lots of new books ready to buy. I never have cared much about the authors : /

Me either. I'm pretty standard when it comes to picking out books. In a bookstore, I scan titles and covers until one catches my eye, pull it out, check out the summary on the back cover, read the excerpt, and then open it to the first page. If all of that keeps me interested, I'll buy the book.

When it comes to e-books, my MO isn't much different.

mlhernandez

Registered
Reaction score
The old site showcased book covers better. When you go to the store now, some of the book covers look fuzzy or squished. On the old site, book covers were shown in a larger size on the new releases page so you could see the title, author and other details quite nicely.

Sarah Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
I don't go to Samhain to read their blog. I go there to buy their books. Having the blog be the focal point of the site makes no sense, and makes me more inclined to shop elsewhere.

Reaction score
I noticed their twitter feed a while back suggested people bookmark the store link, rather than their home page, but...gotta tell you, I'm with jennontheisland with this one. No books on the first page?

I prefer the old colour scheme, for what it's worth.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The changes didn't stop me buying two books from Samhain the other day...

:D

It's great all the new stuff they are doing though such as branching into horror-very exciting.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
If you use the search feature you'll find that there is already a thread about them. I'm sure a mod will come along and merge.