Registering a Domain When Using a Pen Name

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone who's registered a domain with a pen name have any advice for me?

I'd like to keep my real info out of the whois database.

Does the privacy protection that some sites provide work? I was planning to use this, but then I read it means that I don't actually own the domain and that the company may still sell my info.

I'm looking for cheap, easy-to-use hosting and domain registration that will protect my real name, and any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
You can use WHOIS protection. Buy your domain from somewhere separate from the webhost that you use so that if you end up not happy with the webhost, or they go bust, you can just leave and point your Domain name to a different webhost of your choice.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
Most domain registrars offer a Domain Privacy service - sometimes free, sometimes you pay for it. Very simple. None of your info is in the whois database.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Arpeggio and Thewitt. One website warned against the privacy protection that often comes with registration and hosting, but they were also trying to sell their own product, so...

I guess the main thing I have to decide now is whether to register and host at the same place or at a separate place. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been looking at bluehost for both.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's better to use separate places, for many reasons.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm using separate places. It's not as expensive or complicated as I worried it might be.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't know of a single case where privacy protection has failed. I don't have any discomfort with using it myself.

Thewitt

Registered
Reaction score
I would register your domain somewhere other than where you host it as well. You don't want issues with your hosting company tying up your domain name.

One more caution - as someone who has run a domain registration business for more than 15 years - make sure the email address you use on your domain registration is something you will always have access to. The email address of the owner IS the owner from ICANN's perspective. Lose access to this and you lose the domain.

Ferret

Dook!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I've gotten the domain registration--now to get web hosting and set up the site.

Deirdre

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deirdre.net
Excellent. I use privacy for my hidden pseudonyms (which I register with Hover).

For my more open domains, I use Iwantmyname.com, which doesn't offer full masking, though they're considering adding it.