Last Movie You Watched...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Also, have you seen Depp in The Ninth Gate? It's a terrible movie, but he has some good lines.

---

I guess I must be in the minority because I liked that flick. Granted, the twists were easy to see and you know he's going to sell his soul to you-know-who, but the acting was very good and the direction, as always, impeccable. Polanski is certainly no angel and deserves to be run in for what he did (even though they'll never get him) but he is a terrific director.

Watched They Shoot Horses, Don't They? and it was practically a perfect flick. Also re-discovered Klute. Never liked Hanoi Jane and never will, but damn, she did some great work.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Just took a look at Robot and Frank. Rather sentimental and contrived, it has an excellent performance by Frank Langella. The whole cast is good, but he steals the show. It's more of a character piece and therefore a bit on the slow side, but it's nicely done overall. Worth watching.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I wanted to like Ninth Gate, but when in the first 10 minutes his character--a rare book dealer--blew cigarette smoke all over a priceless ancient book, I wanted to throw my purse through the screen. His character was a lying scumbag, but he wouldn't have deliberately brought down the value of his stock-in-trade. It's the details, people!

That being said, it had 3 priceless moments:
--Frank Langella's code to his hermetically sealed room was "666"
--Langella's Muahahaha! insane laugh near the end
--After Depp sleeps with the brunette who's also after the engravings and he refuses to give her the one he has:

Her: F*** you!
Him: I just did.
Her: SLAP!

:roll:

Trivia: If you've ever seen the excellent Hammer film The Devil Rides Out (in which Christopher Lee finally plays the good guy!), the mansion-gathering-coven scene in Ninth Gate is a direct copy (er... homage :tongue) of a scene in Devil.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Started a 5-part Korean horror series last night: Coma. Each ep is about an hour, so I think it's made for TV. All I can say is TV is a lot more graphic there!

I finished eps 1 and 2. They're intertwining past and present, misleading the audience quite well re: levels of bad guy, and the acting is excellent. FX are well done. The plot revolves around a shady hospital and a 10-year-old girl whose mother couldn't pay the bill, her older sister tried to sneak them both out, and Very Bad Things happened.

But perhaps not the Bad Things one assumes. There are other (graphic) bad things (blood, not pedophilia), and it's a bit disturbing. I'll watch the rest of the eps, but I may regret it.

Am I the only person who wishes horror would stick to actors over the age of 15-16? Sigh.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^They might be older than you think. Asians don't age. Not like us whiteys, anyway.

But no, you're not alone in wanting a broader age range in horror generally.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Watched Blue Velvet last night. David Lynch, pre-Twin Peaks but you could already see and hear that vibe. Really good actors including Kyle MacLachlan, Isabella Rossellini, Dennis Hopper, Dean Stockwell--Hopper was insane and Stockwell was. . .I don't know what he was. Very surreal. The story, story, acting, and direction were totally over the top.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
character was a lying scumbag.

Speaking of which, my girlfriend and I watched Flight last night: Several minutes of heart-stopping terror while Whip remains cool and efficient and his brave lover goes above and beyond the call of duty, followed by a slow crawl through the bottom world of addiction. Made us glad we don't jet about or booze it up.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Bubba Ho-Tep is one of the finest comedy horror films ever done. Excellent performances by the two leads. Silly premise, but the acting is SO good it just draws you right in.

The Devil Rides Out was very much underrated when it first appeared in theaters many years back. Christopher Lee was really solid in that pic...love it.

Watched Green Lantern with my kids last night. The story isn't all that hot, but the special effects and music make up for a lot. Enjoyable--not memorable.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I watched A Beautiful Mind today. That was an emotional roller coaster. And I loved it. More than Proof of Life anyway (which I also watched today...I'm on a Russell Crowe kick right now).

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Verdict on Coma (the 5-part Korean horror): Turns out to be a supernatural horror-mystery. A bit of playing with the audience by cutting scenes a certain way, then showing the uncut version in a later ep. Sad ending, but justifiable, and not one of those "paranormal issue is resolved... PSYCH! no it's not" cheap endings. 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Snow White and the Huntsman. I actually quite enjoyed it. Thought it was a pretty good retelling with some really cool special effects. KStew's performance was surprisingly decent and I really enjoyed Theron's performance. The Huntsman wasn't too hard on the eyes either ;)

AdrianLynn

I haunt QLH
Registered
Reaction score
The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I hadn't seen it in ages and it's still exciting. Some of the CGI hasn't really held up well over the years, but it's not bad for something 15 years old.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Citadel. I really didn't buy the storyline and thought it would've made more sense if they had been demons. And it's totally beyond me why they'd close their eyes to walk by things that wanted to rip them apart when they had a perfectly good axe as a weapon. :Shrug: Anyway, I didn't think it was all that good.

Capeless

Registered
Reaction score
The Impossible.

Overall, very frustrating. I wasn't expecting it to be so raw, which was both a good and a bad thing. Lots of ouch/ewww scenes that make you cringe -- quite manipulative really.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Family watched Hotel Transylvania. We all thought it was hilarious. Although the ending song just made me say, "What just even happened?"

msfowle

Mom, Wife & Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
msfowle.wordpress.com
Finally watched The Fighter with my husband. It was pretty good - but it was hard to see Christian Bale like that.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Finally saw Shrek 3. :D Very cute and continued to have some wonderful humor. Kids loved it. Hubs fell asleep. But in all fairness, he spent 2 hours shoveling his car out from the Nemo blizzard, so...

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Shrek, the first one, with my wife when it came over to Japan. One of THE very best animated movies--ever. Didn't care so much for 2 although 3 was slightly better. Found out you can milk a cow only so often.

Treated myself to an oldie but a goodie yesterday: SHE, the original. Excellent special effects for the time although the lead actress was only so-so. But a really offbeat movie for its time and it still stands up well today. The one with Ursula Andress had only one thing to recommend it--Ursula Andress.

Originals are almost always better.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Watched Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I loved this movie. They got the perfect guy to play ol' Honest Abe and did a good job of mixing great action with a good story line. My only minor complaint would be that the pacing was a bit too quick, but it's an action movie, so you kind of have to expect that. Also, I wish General Grant would have been involved in the story.

As a final note, it has one of my favorite movie quotes ever:
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle, but forgets the blood. However history remembers me before I was a President, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth...